No announcement yet.

Power transformer for solid-state amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power transformer for solid-state amp?

I have a Mitchell Pro 50 solid-state amp that's missing the power transformer. In the absence of a schematic, how can I determine the proper voltage/current for a replacement?

Use a similar other brand solid state amp as a model.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The only Mitchel's I remember were tube, cheap and very raw construction versions of Mesa amps. Those were made in small quality in LA in the late 70s up to the mid 80s. They mostly made speaker cabs that looked like Marshall's. The guy was named Tom Mitchel but not the better known Tom Mitchel who was a tech in LA and wrote books on amp repair. The Pro 50's were 60 watt tube amps but they did have some hybrid, tube pre, solid state PA. What power rating into what Z does it show on the rear connectors?
      The Mesa copies were known for having high B+, 525-550v.

A 50-60 watt solid state, into 8 ohms, 40 volts center tapped with a bridge rectifier would give you +/- 28v rails which should be OK

Comment

Originally posted by km6xz View Post
        The only Mitchel's I remember were tube, cheap and very raw construction versions of Mesa amps. Those were made in small quality in LA in the late 70s up to the mid 80s. They mostly made speaker cabs that looked like Marshall's. The guy was named Tom Mitchel but not the better known Tom Mitchel who was a tech in LA and wrote books on amp repair. The Pro 50's were 60 watt tube amps but they did have some hybrid, tube pre, solid state PA. What power rating into what Z does it show on the rear connectors?
        The Mesa copies were known for having high B+, 525-550v.

A 50-60 watt solid state, into 8 ohms, 40 volts center tapped with a bridge rectifier would give you +/- 28v rails which should be OK
        Same guy but it's a small SS combo with a 12" speaker. It's 50w (I guess, being a Pro 50) into 8 ohms.

Comment

How much current would be wise to look for? From what I've read, the transformers in these tend to burn up, possibly because they're inside the chassis and get too hot.

Comment

Checking the main power supply filter caps voltage rating will often be a good clue. In most commercial units the voltage rating is usually just a little over the actual supply voltage.

Once you know the approximate B+ level you can work backwards from there.

Comment

Working...
            X