Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dummy Load

Hi,
    I have a Twin Reverb that I am currently running on only two tubes. Now I realise that this causes an impedance imbalance. If I understand correctly the amp wants to see a 4 ohm load but is now looking at 8 ohms. I've heard that the Twin is ok with this kind of thing. I've also heard that I can disconnect one speaker to rebalance, but I like the two speakers. What I'm wondering is, can I connect an 8 ohm resistor in series with each speaker, thereby creating a 16 0hm load which when connected in parallel with the second speaker would effectively give a load of 8 ohms? Can anybody tell me if that sounds right please? Thanks

Everything you said is correct. Including that it isn't really necessary to go to the trouble of adding the resistors to make a equivalent 8 Ohm load and still use the two speakers. On the other hand, it won't hurt anything if you would like to try and you want to spend the time & money. If you do add the resistors as you describe there will be two changes.
    1) The acoustic power output will be attenuated so the amp will be perceived as just a little quieter.
    2) The tone will change a little since the impedance of the resistors over the frequency band is fixed. That's different than a real speaker's impedance which varies quite a bit as the frequency changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
      Everything you said is correct. Including that it isn't really necessary to go to the trouble of adding the resistors to make a equivalent 8 Ohm load and still use the two speakers. On the other hand, it won't hurt anything if you would like to try and you want to spend the time & money. If you do add the resistors as you describe there will be two changes.
      1) The acoustic power output will be attenuated so the amp will be perceived as just a little quieter.
      2) The tone will change a little since the impedance of the resistors over the frequency band is fixed. That's different than a real speaker's impedance which varies quite a bit as the frequency changes.
      Thanks Tom. Worth a try and resistors are cheap.

Comment

Another option is to just leave the speakers alone and run the output into the 4 ohm load.The OT can handle the mismatch just fine.I did some work on a SF Dual Showman Reverb ,basically the same circuit as the Twin.Running this type of mismatch causes the tubes to run a bit hotter,so I biased the tubes a bit colder,dont know if it even makes a difference,but he's been using it for 2 years like this with no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by stokes View Post
          Another option is to just leave the speakers alone and run the output into the 4 ohm load.The OT can handle the mismatch just fine.I did some work on a SF Dual Showman Reverb ,basically the same circuit as the Twin.Running this type of mismatch causes the tubes to run a bit hotter,so I biased the tubes a bit colder,dont know if it even makes a difference,but he's been using it for 2 years like this with no problem.
          Yes, that's basically what I've been doing. The tubes are biased a bit cool, thanks to Tom's advice, and I've finally got it sounding just like I want. My main concern is overloading the OT. But if I can leave it the way it is I will. It has been an experience, a steep learning curve, and a lot of work. It's also been a lot of fun and I've learned a lot thanks, in large part, to people like you guys. Now I want to build a Deluxe from scratch. This is always what happens...

Comment

Working...
          X