X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Inductance on Strat Pickup

Hello,

This is my first post.
    I have one question about the inductance on guitar pickup.
    I wound one Strat Pickup with 42AWG wire and Alnico 5 Magnetized (25Gauss - R.B Annis 50-0-50 Magnetometer)
    The DC Resistance is 7.07 kΩ and the inductance is 2.864 Henry. I measured this by Extech LCR meter.
    I want to increase the inductance to 3.2 Henry.
    I tested with various tension settings and the total results are:
    With full tension at 9000 turns: 7.07kΩ and 2.864 Henry
    With very little tension at 9000 turns: 6.75kΩ and 2.756 Henry

Could you tell me how can i do that?

Thank you in advance.

You can lower the height of the coil, but should note that the coil will be wider with the same (9000) amount of turns, and all turns may not fit if you make very low height of the coil.
    www.fokinpickups.ru
    www.fokinpickups.com

Comment

You need to wind more wire on the coil. That's why the tighter wound coil has a higher inductance. When you see winders listing their pickups by inductance, the higher inductance pickups are wound hotter.

Also, your magnets are NOT 25Gauss. That are probably closer to 600Gauss. The R.B Annis 50-0-50 Magnetometer is not direct reading. It's a relative scale. It's only showing you if a magnet is stronger than another since you have no way of knowing what "50" means.

Why do you want to increase the inductance?
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thank you vey much Ilya F. and David Schwab.
        I try to make my own Strat pickup and i test it with another one. I don't know who wound the other Strat pickup but i measured the Henry to 3.2.
        Do you know where can i buy magnet wire in Europe? Formwar, Plain Enamell?
        The wire i bought it from Brocott.uk. Its very good wire but Brocott hasn't other types of insulations.

Comment

Originally posted by sn6111 View Post
          Thank you vey much Ilya F. and David Schwab.
          I try to make my own Strat pickup and i test it with another one. I don't know who wound the other Strat pickup but i measured the Henry to 3.2.
          Do you know where can i buy magnet wire in Europe? Formwar, Plain Enamell?
          The wire i bought it from Brocott.uk. Its very good wire but Brocott hasn't other types of insulations.
          Elektrisola supposedly makes wire all over the world.
          Try emailing them and ask where to buy there products.
          You can pick your language of choice.
          Email us/ Comment
          I would also contact Essex, they have a Europe presence.
          Essex Europe
          Ask them both where to buy their products in Europe.
          Good Luck,
          Terry
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Thank you so much Terry.

Comment

Also you can byu wire, magnets etc here: Mojotone.com - The Best source for Vintage Amp Parts, Cabinets, Guitar Parts, Bass Parts, and Pickup Parts
              www.fokinpickups.ru
              www.fokinpickups.com

Comment

You can buy wire from all the USA suppliers, but it should be cheaper if you can buy it in Europe.
                I have links here to buy US wire.
                http://music-electronics-forum.com/t30228/
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

I know Ilya but i live in Europe and i don't want to pay the customs because the price of the parcel will go up 28%.

Comment

Originally posted by sn6111 View Post
                    You can buy wire from all the USA suppliers, but it should be cheaper if you can buy it in Europe.
                    I have links here to buy US wire.
                    "Get Started" Pickup Resources
                    T
                    Thank you very much Terry. You and other members really helping me.

Comment

Working...
                    X