Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could somebody help me figure out what i have?!?!?!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could somebody help me figure out what i have?!?!?!?!?

I have a Sunn Solarus guitar head, but I'm really curious as to what year it was made and so forth. Because although it is just a head, when I took to get the tubes replaced in it last time, the guy who was working on it told me that in fact it was not just head but had initially been a combo amp and somebody literally just cut it off the cab and turned it into a head. Regardless I cannot find a serial number or anything and I would like to have an idea of what I've got and what it's worth because as of now I am considering selling it. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    BICE
    Attached Files

Originally posted by bicebass View Post
    I have a Sunn Solarus guitar head, but I'm really curious as to what year it was made and so forth. Because although it is just a head, when I took to get the tubes replaced in it last time, the guy who was working on it told me that in fact it was not just head but had initially been a combo amp and somebody literally just cut it off the cab and turned it into a head.
    Welcome to the place. I believe that the Solarus model started in 1967 and was built into a vertical cabinet with two 12 inch speakers. By 1969 they changed the cabinet to a version with a separate head and speaker cabinet. There are date codes on the transformers and the controls that will help you to identify the year that it was made.

Because the cabinet has been altered, a lot of its' collector value has been lost.

Comment

You may try posting here also as there are more people there and more info there on all things Sunn.

The sunn Discussion Page - Index

Greg

Comment

Post it on EBay as a $1 base auction and let it reach its real value.
        Or buy a copy of Amazon.com: The 3rd Edition Blue Book of Guitar Amplifiers (9781886768598): Zachary Fjestad, S.P. Fjestad: Books
        Or ask $200 and see if somebody bites.
        If not, ask for $150 .
        If not, $100.... and so on
        Eventually somebody will buy it.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

The head box looks like it is too short to fit a reverb tank. You may not even be able to get the power tubes out unless you remove the chassis from the box. IIRC the reverb tank in the combo model was actually located in the speaker enclosure.
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

HI there. 52 Bill is right. I used to own one of those and mine was a combo that looked like a seperate head sitting on a 2 12 cabinet. I've seen people cut the head off the cabinet part, i don't know why. BUt i believe Sunn made a head version of that amp also. I love that old SUNN tube stuff. I did have a SUNN Concert Solid state head come through my shop and for a solid state amp, it sounded pretty good.

Comment

Working...
            X