Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extech's new LCR meter

Summary:

The Extech LCR200 doesn't suck horribly, but I am returning it.

The serial data port is undocumented, uses a non-standard plug, and Extech has no cable for it.

(edit)

Let me elaborate (yeah, try and stop me).

They marketed it as a device with serial data logging capabilities that they can neither provide nor support with documentation.

Those fuckers lied.
    Last edited by salvarsan; 08-15-2012, 08:16 PM. Reason: splenetitude
    "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Say, that looks like a pretty good upgrade, they now have the 10khz test signal. Did you try it at all for that? I never used mine with a PC since I'm Mac but I know some did, maybe they can tell you how to do it. I don't think it involved using any software....
    I found this on the forum:
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/t30397/

I just wonder if the 10khz frequency is very useable, buckers typically peak at 6khz, hmmmmmm.....cheapest price is on Ebay....
    Last edited by Possum; 08-21-2012, 06:07 AM.
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
      Say, that looks like a pretty good upgrade, they now have the 10khz test signal. Did you try it at all for that? I never used mine with a PC since I'm Mac but I know some did, maybe they can tell you how to do it. I don't think it involved using any software....
      I found this on the forum:
      http://music-electronics-forum.com/t30397/

I just wonder if the 10khz frequency is very useable, buckers typically peak at 6khz, hmmmmmm.....cheapest price is on Ebay....
      The LCR200 should be at least as good as the lower tier 380193 meter.

It's not.

They are both 20,000 count meters,
      but the LCR200 always differs from the 380193 at the third digit.

Its DC resistance is always just enough off to be annoying --
      a 9k resistor that is consistently 9077 ohms on the bench meter
      bobbles around at 905x to 909x on the LCR200.

Ditto for inductance and capacitance readings.

In contrast, the Extech 380193 simply works and gives stable readings.

If you have an Extech and a SysComp CGR101, you may not need much else for quality control.
      "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

The original Extech doesn't measure DC resistance. The 200 DOES? If you're measuring a resistor with the LCR its not going to read right with AC resistance.
        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
          The original Extech doesn't measure DC resistance. The 200 DOES? If you're measuring a resistor with the LCR its not going to read right with AC resistance.
          Dave, I'm saying that you probably have a DMM that gives a DC resistance reading better than the LCR200.

Since I received an LCR200, found that it is a 10,000 count device masquerading as a 20,000 count meter, I don't want it.

Buy it if you like, but it has no credibility where guitar pickups are concerned.

I bought it, returned it because it was inferior to the Extech 380193.

Do you want to make the same mistake?

Comment

OK, I looked up the specs, they DID add a DC resistance mode. Seems odd to do that, the other Extech LCR measures AC resistance, which is way more useful. Anyway, I've decided not to buy one, the added features aren't that useable for pickups and my old Extech is fine for what it is. The DC resistance reading capability doesn't interest me at all either. I wonder if it still has the AC resistance capability in the 200, without it the 10khz mode would be totally useless for pickups. Hope you get your money back.

Update....I do see that it also has AC resistance reading abilities. Not sure how you switch from one to the other....
            Last edited by Possum; 08-22-2012, 06:06 AM.
            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I've been looking for an excuse to buy one of the Agilent U1730C series LCR meters for the lab. Looking at the manual, I notice the accuracy of the Q measurement is specified for Q greater than 1 (or D less than 1)

The higher-end models add 10 and 100kHz test frequencies for measuring tiny inductances and capacitances. Probably not too relevant to pickups, though I would want them for testing SMPS and RF components.
              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                I've been looking for an excuse to buy one of the Agilent U1730C series LCR meters for the lab. Looking at the manual, I notice the accuracy of the Q measurement is specified for Q greater than 1 (or D less than 1)
                The U1732C is quite a commitment since the full kit (case, power, IR-USB cable) is close to $500 US, around 250 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by salvarsan View Post
                  The U1732C is quite a commitment since the full kit (case, power, IR-USB cable) is close to $500 US, around 250 pounds.
                  I tested the U1732C today, I do not have the cheap older Extech to compare it to but I would say this Agilent unit is not usable for pickups, I was seeing 10%+ errors in the measurements.

Comment

Originally posted by enkindler View Post
                    I tested the U1732C today, I do not have the cheap older Extech to compare it to but I would say this Agilent unit is not usable for pickups, I was seeing 10%+ errors in the measurements.
                    What did you use a reference to determine the size of the errors?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
                      What did you use a reference to determine the size of the errors?
                      2 henry Hammond 154M-ND choke in series with a 10K resistor as Joe Gwinn recommended.

I tested both components individually and together and I verified that a calibrated Hewlett Packard 4284A measured the same items with negligible error.

I did not have extended amounts of time to borrow the meter and this is a sample size of one. I also don't know if the error is consistent.
                      Last edited by enkindler; 08-30-2012, 10:39 PM. Reason: Fix HP model number

Comment

Thank you for the quick response. That is an excellent test.

Originally posted by enkindler View Post
                        2 henry Hammond 154M-ND choke in series with a 10K resistor as Joe Gwinn recommended.

I tested both components individually and together and I verified that a calibrated Hewlett Packard 4284A measured the same items with negligible error.

I did not have extended amounts of time to borrow the meter and this is a sample size of one. I also don't know if the error is consistent.

Comment

Working...
                        X