Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kay Speed demon Schematic?

hi,

I am currently rebuilding a Speed demon, I have got my hands on three speed bump pickups and need to start wiring them all in. Does anyone have a schematic I can go off to ensure I wire them in correctly? The switch I am using is a 5-position, 4-pole rotary switch.

I have wired a few guitars before but never used ones of these switches. Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Jack

There are tons of sites that offer pickup wiring schematics & advise.
    But you have to define how you want the pickups functionally wired.
    Position 1, 3 & 5 are traditionally reserved for the Neck, Middle & Bridge pickups.
    The other two positions are open for the many configurations available.
    In parallel, in phase, out of phase.....
    With that information in hand, then you can begin to wire up the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      There are tons of sites that offer pickup wiring schematics & advise.
      But you have to define how you want the pickups functionally wired.
      Position 1, 3 & 5 are traditionally reserved for the Neck, Middle & Bridge pickups.
      The other two positions are open for the many configurations available.
      FWIW, I did a quick search & original wiring would've been a 4-position switch that selects each pickup individually or all 3 together.
      You can do something creative with the 5th position, or just make it "kill" (all off) position.
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

a kill would be cool, I am not quite sure how to wire in the switch. I want to have position 1 neck, position 2 Neck & middle, position 3 middle, position 4 middle & bridge and position 5 bridge. I looked at a lot of diagrams and decided to wire the pickups straight into the volume knobs then volume into the switch, but havent attempted to wire in the switch yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Forster View Post
          a kill would be cool, I am not quite sure how to wire in the switch. I want to have position 1 neck, position 2 Neck & middle, position 3 middle, position 4 middle & bridge and position 5 bridge. I looked at a lot of diagrams and decided to wire the pickups straight into the volume knobs then volume into the switch, but havent attempted to wire in the switch yet.
          Here's one way:

Think of the 4-pole rotary switch as 4 separate switches, A, B, C, and D.
          Each switch has a Common terminal and 5 numbered position terminals.
          Let's use a naming convention of Switch Letter-Terminal Designator.
          For example, the common terminal of switch A is A-Com; the position 3 terminal of switch B is B-3.

First, connect the volume pot outputs and a wire to "selector output" to the switch Common terminals:
          Neck to A-Com
          Middle to B-Com
          Bridge to C-Com
          "Out" to D-Com

Then just install jumpers:
          A-1 (Neck) to D-1 (Out)
          A-2 (Neck) and B-2 (Middle) to D-2 (Out)
          B-3 (Middle) to D-3 (Out)
          B-4 (Middle) and C-4 (Bridge) to D-4 (Out)
          C-5 (Bridge) to D-5 (Out)

Hook up "Out" to where ever you're going from there.
          DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

right okay thanks for your help, sorry about this but this switch is confusing the hell out of me! so this is how I have it wired now but I know its wrong orange 1-2 is the neck orange 4-5 is middle and the blue 2-3-4 is the bridge and then the two 0s go to the output.

Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.png
Views:	1
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	825793

This may sound like a stupid question and I apologise for it but do I have to wire in the side legs on the switch as well? or will it work with just wiring the bottom legs?

Cheers

Comment

This may sound like a stupid question and I apologise for it but do I have to wire in the side legs on the switch as well? or will it work with just wiring the bottom legs?
              If you only use the bottom terminals, you are only using 2 poles of a 4 pole switch.

In other words, using arbitrary naming assignments, you are using switches A & B and not using switches C & D.
              I'm sorry, but I can't think of an easier way of putting it.
              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

ah okay I am beginning to understand, so in that picture the common terminal for switch A is 0 orange and the common terminal for switch be is 0 Blue?

Comment

yes! just wired it all in and its working! thank you rjb! If I get round to it I might put up a schematic.

Comment

DOes anybody know the value of the pots? Thanks.

Comment

Hey man do you mind drawing that schematic for the speed demon

Comment

What kind of switch are you using? I will try and draw one up!

Comment

Originally posted by prulup View Post
                          DOes anybody know the value of the pots? Thanks.
                          the pickups are single coil so I used 250K pots.

Comment

rep;y

What kind of switch are you using? I will try and draw one up!
                            It's a six position switch from Stewmac

Comment

Working...
                            X