Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ric Toaster pickup in my 51 P bass

Howdy,
    I am considering replacing the original pickup in my 1995 '51 p bass reissue with a ric toaster pickup. I know there will be a difference in impedance between the two, what will I have to do with the original pots/capacitor? I'd love to hear feedback on the general operation too.

thanks,
    Robert

The stock pots and cap will work with any pickup. If you want a Rick tone, and if the cap is .1, change it to .047µF.

RedHouse here put a Rick Hi-Gain on his P bass. Maybe he will come along and post a photo!
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

thanks David,

I am under the impression that if the impedance from the pickup is different, then the cutoff frequency of the tone knob would change. Is that not the case?

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
        thanks David,

I am under the impression that if the impedance from the pickup is different, then the cutoff frequency of the tone knob would change. Is that not the case?
        Yes. So assuming you want it to sound like Rick-ish, use the same value parts they use.

The tone cap won't really do anything with the tone pot on 10.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Here ya go, neck pickup:

Click image for larger version

Name:	rick_pickup_in_pbass_sm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	825800

Click image for larger version

Name:	rick_pickup_in_pbass2_sm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	825801

I'm in the process (when spare time allows) of making a Ric Bridge pickup that fits inside a JBass cover.

BTW, I tried using .1uF tone cap and it sucked the life out of the instrument's tone, needless to say I immediately changed back to the .05uF I was using before.
          (.o47uF was stock OEM as David has already said)
          -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Working...
          X