Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool DeArmond

Team -

I've had this unit lying around for quite awhile. Don't know what it is. Plated cover, wider than a normal humbucker (2.92"), 7.3K DCR, ceramic mag w/ a couple nails to extend its reach. Baseplate not shown; removed for your internal inspection. Long screws.

Whadd'ya'all think?

Bob Palmieri
    Attached Files

I have not seen one of these in the flesh either. Can't remember any production guitars using them so would guess after market job and certanly no Rowe Dearmond patents connected here. I know of 8 and this has to be covered by Seths patent. You say plated cover but can you see anywhere what the base metal is. Bobbins look far east but I would still guess USA made.

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
      I have not seen one of these in the flesh either. Can't remember any production guitars using them so would guess after market job and certanly no Rowe Dearmond patents connected here. I know of 8 and this has to be covered by Seths patent. You say plated cover but can you see anywhere what the base metal is. Bobbins look far east but I would still guess USA made.
      I don't exactly trust myself where issues of metallurgy are concerned but I'll say it's almost definitely Not Brass.

Also, those things I described as "nails" actually look more like piano wire.

Comment

Wouldn't that be a 2200-1? Someone is sending me one for a custom fit mounting ring next week but the dimensions and DCR (7.3) sound right.

Comment

I wouldn't know; that's why I ask youze guize what got a clue from this stuff...

All I know is that I have a strange intuition that I need to find a nice beater Tele to throw it in...

However, guided by Dave King's pointer I do indeed see this referred to as a 2200.

Case closed.
          Last edited by fieldwrangler; 08-22-2012, 10:10 PM.

Comment

I remember seeing ads for these, but never saw one in person. I have heard they are nice sounding pickups.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I have one around here somewhere too, with that design its going to be quite bright sounding for sure, interesting design.
              http://www.SDpickups.com
              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                I have one around here somewhere too, with that design its going to be quite bright sounding for sure, interesting design.
                I'll admit that with the various bits in this unit being as they are, the idea of swapping in an Alnico (which I often roll my eyes at in other contexts) does have some appeal...

Maybe I ought actually listen to the thing first, ya think?

Bob P

Comment

We should gather up all these loose singles and pair them off into a guitar or two. I should probably make a few extra rings while I'm at it as I bet that's why so many of these are sitting in drawers right now.

Comment

Hi Jonson

These used to be on Guild guitars in the 70-80's they sounded pretty good. I havn't seen one since the mid 80's. There were some with Alnico as well if my memory serves me right.
                    Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by fieldwrangler View Post
                      I'll admit that with the various bits in this unit being as they are, the idea of swapping in an Alnico (which I often roll my eyes at in other contexts) does have some appeal...

Maybe I ought actually listen to the thing first, ya think?

Bob P
                      Try it out first. I have some no name DiMarzio looking pickup on my Lucite guitar that is built like a DiMarzio, with the two rows of hex poles and a ceramic magnet, and is wound about the same as this pickup. I think it's a great sounding pickup. It's bright, but not ice picky, and has a nice crisp clean tone.

Then if you want a softer tone try the alnico.

I do remember seeing these on Guild guitars now. I wasn't sure if that was an accurate memory, since they had their own humbuckers.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by the great waldo View Post
                        Hi Jonson

These used to be on Guild guitars in the 70-80's they sounded pretty good. I havn't seen one since the mid 80's. There were some with Alnico as well if my memory serves me right.
                        Cheers

Andrew
                        Good to learn something new each day and keep the old grey matter ticking. Cheers Waldo.

Comment

It all seems so long ago, the old Rose Morris store in Shaftesbury Avenue where I had my workshop in the basement, Top Gear, Take 5 and the others. Good times. here's one on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/70s-DEARMOND...#ht_507wt_1398

Cheers
                          Andrew
                          Good to learn something new each day and keep the old grey matter ticking. Cheers Waldo.
                          Last edited by the great waldo; 08-23-2012, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab
                            Try it out first. I have some no name DiMarzio looking pickup on my Lucite guitar that is built like a DiMarzio, with the two rows of hex poles and a ceramic magnet, and is wound about the same as this pickup. I think it's a great sounding pickup. It's bright, but not ice picky, and has a nice crisp clean tone.

Then if you want a softer tone try the alnico.

I do remember seeing these on Guild guitars now. I wasn't sure if that was an accurate memory, since they had their own humbuckers.
                            In fact, I have an early 70's Guild X-500 (sorta their version of an L-5) that has been my working big-box guitar for the past 30-something years. It's the only guitar I own where I've never had the slightest urge to swap out the pickups.

I have a very vague memory that I once may have pulled a cover and looked inside; the bobbins (I think) looked a lot like the ones in this DeArmond 2200 (although I think it had an Alnico mag.)

I have an equally vague recollection that DeArmond may have made these pickups for Guild in the early 70's (without putting their name on them.) They're the regular sized humbucker ones with an extra embossed channel over the center of the slug coil.

Bob Palmieri

Comment

Dearmond made at least three versions of those larger "true" humbuckers. I've seen them on a Harptone/Standel electric. My recollection about the one I have in a drawer is that it was surprisingly darker than I expected. My notes say 5.77K. You probably don't see them as much as you would have if they had the same outer dimensions as a Gibson. They don't. Most of the times I have seen them has been in cases or drawers at older music stores covered with dust and those sightings seemed to stop with the advent of the internet.
                              I have also scrawled the following in my notebook:
                              Dearmond 2200B and 2200T, oversize humbuckers with black mounting rings of different heights
                              Dearmond 2300 set, without rings.
                              Dearmond 2400 "Superbucker" no rings, hotter pickup with Allenhead polepieces.

Comment

Working...
                              X