Cool DeArmond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for this!

Do you happen to know if Rowe-DeArmond did indeed have a hand in those regular-size Guild Humbuckers of the early 70's?

Bob Palmieri

Comment

I don't know absolutely for certain that Dearmond didn't make the Guild pickups as an OEM supplier but having looked at Guild pickups construction vs. Dearmonds, I'd say no. They look like the product of two different makers.

Comment

Hi Bob and co, sorry to disturb an old thread, but I wonder if you might still have the pictures of the pickups internals? I am trying to recreate the sound, and they are non-existent here in the uk. I wonder if anyone knows the wire gauge? There seems to have been some debate about whether they are actually singles or buckers. Interesting to note the ceramic magnet. I guess having the thinner gauge coil would increase the capacitance and inductance and would offset the usual 'downsides' we attribute to ceramic magnets. Anyway... great to read such interesting posts by guys with real experience. Once again sorry for the old bump. All the best from icy wales!
        Pj

Comment

Originally posted by Pj_From_Wales View Post
          Hi Bob and co, sorry to disturb an old thread, but I wonder if you might still have the pictures of the pickups internals? I am trying to recreate the sound, and they are non-existent here in the uk. I wonder if anyone knows the wire gauge? There seems to have been some debate about whether they are actually singles or buckers. Interesting to note the ceramic magnet. I guess having the thinner gauge coil would increase the capacitance and inductance and would offset the usual 'downsides' we attribute to ceramic magnets. Anyway... great to read such interesting posts by guys with real experience. Once again sorry for the old bump. All the best from icy wales!
          Pj
          Pj -

I'll either dig up the snaps or dig up the pickup and post by the middle of next week.

Bob Palmieri

Comment

Awesome! Really appreciate the response thank you,
            Cheers
            Pj

Comment

Pj -

Looks like the shots are on a distant backup drive; not sure how long they stay with the posts but I'll continue to dig.

This pickup reads about 3 henries, so judging by the DC resistance, look of the wire pack, configuration and the ceramic mag I'd say we're probably looking at 43 gauge wire.

Again, I really oughta throw this into something or other and listen to it; might even try the Alnico V mag swap. The lowish inductance, thinner wire and unbalanced bobbin loads all point in the direction of a sweet-sounding neck pickup. Unfortunately I have a major project on fire at the moment and all my time is going in a very different direction.

Bob Palmieri
              Last edited by fieldwrangler; 01-04-2015, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Here are a couple of the relevant snaps. The pickup surface is silver in color, I lit the shot like this to make other details stand out.

To my eye its shape and proportions are more attractive than the standard Gibsonian form:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DeArmond 22xx-0011.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	836458

Click image for larger version

Name:	DeArmond 22xx-0012.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	836457

Comment

Fantastic stuff Bob, thank you that's just what I was looking for. There's so little information available on them. Sadly they seem to be very scarce, especially over here in the UK. I was first made aware of them when I saw the stamped logos on Eric Bell's well worn strat. I'd heard they were PAFs but on closer inspection could see the dimensions were different and they always sounded more alluring and clear to me... now I know why. I like the attack and harmonic spectrum they have.

Are the nails to improve the magnets reach that you mentioned between the magnets edge and the pole pieces? Similar to a keeper bar?

I really appreciate the trouble you've gone to considering you've got another project on the go.

I wonder if there is a production pickup that could be modded to achieve the same/similar thing, perhaps a sd jazz if its 43 gauge, or maybe a pearly gates to get the skewed coils. Though I guess getting the metallurgy and composition correct could be anyones guess. I will
                  I wouldnt know where to look for a rubberised magnet ha!

The interesting thing is that there seems to have been a fair amount of opinion knocking around the web that these were single coils. Great to see some facts!

Comment

And yes I think you're right there is something very alluring to the eye about the more square dimensions.

Comment

Hi All
                      Eric Bell had a couple of these on that bashed up old strat with the recessed jack plate upside down, sounded great!!

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                      X