Pickup Cover to fit SR300L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Cover to fit SR300L

I just bought a used Ibanez SR300L Lefty Bass.
    I thought it used EMG Sized Pickups.
    These have Dimensions of 4-1/4 long, x 1-1/4 Wide.
    The Pickups have Domed tops, with 2 screws, and say Ibanez on them.
    The only covers Mojo has that are near those dimensions have 4 screw holes per Cover.
    I was just going to try to make a pair of ceramic Passive Pickups.
    Any Idea what cover I'm supposed to use?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Terry, it sounds like a Bartolini P4 cover might work for you but I don't know if anyone sells one. The P4s don't have a radius top. You could get yourself that router and make wooden covers like the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
      Terry, it sounds like a Bartolini P4 cover might work for you but I don't know if anyone sells one. The P4s don't have a radius top. You could get yourself that router and make wooden covers like the rest of us.
      I respect the craftsmanship you guys have to make the wooden Covers.
      That is just more trouble, and out of my Skill Set, but I sure like to look at them!
      These will fit, I guess I would just use 4 Screws?
      Mojotone 4-Hole Mount Soapbar Bass Pickup Cover Black (Small)
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        These will fit, I guess I would just use 4 Screws?
        T
        No, they are 1.25" W x 3.56" L. You would need the EMG-45 size covers, because these are six string size pickups, and everything else will be too short.

Those are Bart P4 size covers. Unfortunately, no one sells those. GuitarJones used to have them. I've been trying to get them from WSC.

What's wrong with the stock pickups?
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          No, they are 1.25" W x 3.56" L. You would need the EMG-45 size covers, because these are six string size pickups, and everything else will be too short.

Those are Bart P4 size covers. Unfortunately, no one sells those. GuitarJones used to have them. I've been trying to get them from WSC.

What's wrong with the stock pickups?
          You read that wrong, that is the inside measurement.
          it is 4.08 on the outside.
          Nothing is wrong with the pickups, Except they don't say BigT on them.
          We make pickups, and I wanted to make something for it.
          I take out good pickups all the time, that's what we do!
          I can also temp J Bass Pickups in those large holes for testing.
          I will come up with something.
          I may route the holes a little larger so the 1.5 inch pickup covers will fit.
          I just thought you guys would know of a stock cover that would fit, without alteration?
          T
          Last edited by big_teee; 08-23-2012, 03:28 PM.
          Terry

Comment

You read that wrong, that is the inside measurement.
            it is 4.08 on the outside.
            Yep, you are right.

W=1.37
            H=.900
            L=4.08

Nothing is wrong with the pickups.
            We make pickups, and I wanted to make something for it.
            I take out good pickups all the time, that's what we do!
            I can also temp J Bass Pickups in those large holes for testing.
            I will come up with something.
            I may route the holes a little larger so the 1.5 inch pickup covers will fit.
            I just thought you guys would know of a stock cover that would fit, without alteration?
            T

Right, but if the pickups are fine, and you have to rout the bass, I'd either leave the pickups, or make a mold of them and make a new set that way.

I have my pickups in my Ibanez SR-885LE, but they were Jazz bass size, so I was able to make replacements. It's a 25 year old bass, so I don't want to rout it.

But your's is a lot newer.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Yep, you are right.

W=1.37
              H=.900
              L=4.08

Right, but if the pickups are fine, and you have to rout the bass, I'd either leave the pickups, or make a mold of them and make a new set that way.

I have my pickups in my Ibanez SR-885LE, but they were Jazz bass size, so I was able to make replacements. It's a 25 year old bass, so I don't want to rout it.

But your's is a lot newer.
              I got it real cheap, and I'm just Donking around with it.
              Sometimes Lefty stuff sits around for a long time, and you can pick it up cheap.
              T
              Terry

Comment

I got it real cheap, and I'm just Donking around with it.
                Sometimes Lefty stuff sits around for a long time, and you can pick it up cheap.
                T
                Well have fun then! Are you a lefty?

Comment

Well have fun then! Are you a lefty?
                  Yes I am a Lefty.
                  One more question.
                  This is my first bass to own.
                  I have worked on a few and made some pickups.
                  These strings are real sharp round wound and I feel like I'm running my fingers through a cheese Grater!
                  What is a comfortable playing string that sounds good.
                  These measure .045---.100"
                  Was thinking of going to something maybe smoother, and .045--.105.
                  What do you recommend?
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

Yes I am a Lefty.
                    Remember to wind all the pickups backwards.

One more question.
                    This is my first bass to own.
                    I have worked on a few and made some pickups.
                    These strings are real sharp round wound and I feel like I'm running my fingers through a cheese Grater!
                    What is a comfortable playing string that sounds good.
                    These measure .045---.100"
                    Was thinking of going to something maybe smoother, and .045--.105.
                    What do you recommend?
                    T
                    I've been using D'Addario XL round wounds for a while. They are pretty smooth. If you want smoother, and don't need a piano like bright tone, try some half rounds or flat wounds. I used to use the Labella Deep Talkin' Bass stainless steel flats. They are nice and smooth, and have a bright tone without the round wounds ringing top end.

La Bella Electric Bass Guitar Deep Talkin' Bass Light, .043 - .104, Stainless Steel Flat Wound, 760FL

You probably just need to build up calluses. They are quite different for bass.

Comment

I like the DR sunbeams in a nickel round wound but the Thomastik jazzflats are my favorite flat (if you can afford them). The bonus is that they'll last forever. You can sand the strings you have now with 1000 grit silicon carbide sandpaper to smooth them out a bit. I used to do that to my new rotosounds just to save my frets and keep my calluses intact through a weekend.

Comment

I like the DR sunbeams in a nickel round wound but the Thomastik jazzflats are my favorite flat (if you can afford them). The bonus is that they'll last forever. You can sand the strings you have now with 1000 grit silicon carbide sandpaper to smooth them out a bit. I used to do that to my new rotosounds just to save my frets and keep my calluses intact through a weekend.
                        I was wondering if I could smooth them up a bit.
                        They sound fine, but they sure are abrasive.
                        I didn't think I was such a wuss! lol
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

I used to do that to my new rotosounds just to save my frets and keep my calluses intact through a weekend.
                          Rotosounds used to be very rough feeling. I haven't used them since the early 80s, but I just got a set of 66s for my 5 string. I haven't put them on yet, but they feel a lot smoother than they used to be. They worked very well at removing large parts of the tiny frets on my 70s Ricks! But one I refretted them with jumbo wire they didn't wear anymore. They must use very soft fret wire.
                          Last edited by David Schwab; 08-26-2012, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Rotosounds used to be very rough feeling. I haven't used them since the early 80s, but I just got a set of 66s for my 5 string. I haven't put them on yet, but they feel a lot smoother than they used to be. They worked very well at removing large parts of the tiny frets on my 70s Ricks! But one I refretted them with jumbo wire they didn't wear anymore. They must use very soft fret wire.
                            Did you buy the stainless or nickel?
                            ** I guess the 66s are stainless, I think the nickels are something else.
                            Last edited by David Schwab; 08-26-2012, 03:40 AM.
                            Terry

Comment

Did you buy the stainless or nickel?
                              ** I guess the 66s are stainless, I think the nickels are something else.
                              Stainless. I had to look it up, but the nickel strings are Swingbass 66N. They also have a cheaper nickel set called Rotobass.

I put them on Friday and played a gig that night. They certainly are rougher feeling than the D'Addarios and the tension is a little higher, so I had to tighten the truss rod a bit. They weren't as bright as I remember either. I think the Ibanez is just not a super bight bass because of the basswood body. But they have an interesting midrange, and when played with a pick, they had that Rotosound bite. The low B is a little less focused sounding than the D'Addarios, which have a great low B string.

But I think I like them. When playing up higher on the neck on the G and D strings they are fuller sounding.

Another string I used to like where the Ken Smith strings. I haven't used them since the mid 90s.

Comment

Working...
                              X