Connecting two Behringer DDX3216 together via TDIF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting two Behringer DDX3216 together via TDIF

Hi folks, I have two DDX3216 mixing desks (I know, lucky me! :-) and one TDIF card. I'd like to connect the two desks together, so as to mix larger numbers of tracks. Can I use a second TDIF card in the other mixer and connect them in to out? I presume I'll need to run an external word clock between the desks, but I guess that's not a problem. Has anyone done this? I don't want to invest in a second TDIF card only to find it doesn't work desk to desk.

Note - what I'm hoping to do is to run the 16 bus outs from mixer 1 into channels 17-32 on the second desk. I've done this with ADAT cards, but I need the ADAT ports for ADA8000s, so I want to do the same thing with TDIF modules.

Thanks

Doug

TDIF only handles 8 channels in each direction, but apart from that I can't see why it wouldn't work.

The DA88 needed a separate word clock cable, but later versions of the TDIF spec included the word clock in the TDIF cable. If you have lots of digital gear, you'll probably want to run a word clock cable round it all anyway.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

OK, I have both TDIF cards and connected my two DDX3216s together. All working beautifully. The TDIF cards have two TDIF interfaces on-board, so 16 channels in and out. So I was able to route the 16 mix busses from mixer 1 into channels 17-32 of mixer 2, thus having 32 top layer faders directly to hand when mixing a 32 channel source. I have an ADAT card in the other slots of each mixer, so I can take a 32 channel source from the computer (via an M-Audio Lightbridge). Sweet.

Doug

Comment

Working...
      X