Silvertone 1440 Universal Guitar Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvertone 1440 Universal Guitar Pickup

I was helping clean out an attic and was given a 1950s model 1430 silvertone tube guitar amplifier wich is in excellent condition for it's age. I was also given a device for an accustic guitar. I have never seen one of these before and certainly don't know how it works. I really need help Identifying and told how this device works. A piece of paper came with this device which shows a drawing of the device. The paper reads: silvertone model 1440 universal guitar pickup. The paper shows identifying parts of the device but doesn't tell where it goes on the guitar or how to use it. Can someone please share your knowledge with me? I googled this thing to death with no results. Am i calling it the wrong thing? Please help. I have attached an image of this device to visually aid in it's identification and use. I will attach a better image if you tell me i need to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY22951.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	865667

These were used to retrofit a magnetic pickup on accoustic guitars....ususally flat tops but I suppose archtops could be done as well. It was Sears version of the 1100 adjustable Rhytm Chief pickup by DeArmond you might google that.

Look here:
    DeArmond numbered items

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Norton View Post
      These were used to retrofit a magnetic pickup on accoustic guitars....ususally flat tops but I suppose archtops could be done as well. It was Sears version of the 1100 adjustable Rhytm Chief pickup by DeArmond you might google that.

Look here:
      DeArmond numbered items
      Thank you very much for taking the time to provide me with this knowledge.

Comment

My searches lead nowhere. I'm missing something

I took your advice and conducted many searches. Great sites that show case the pickups but I have still failed to find one just like the one i have. I have attached some closer, clearer pictures of the Silvertone guitar pickup i have as well as a clear view of the paper i recieved with it. According to this paper i have on it, this whole piece is used as a whole unit. Everything i found in searching was individual parts. Please have another look. I'm not saying you are wrong. I just don't understand why i can't find this unit as i have it. Thank you in advance.
        Attached Files

Comment

I would guess that the reason you are not finding anything on-line is because the unit was not popular....I have never seen one like it before but I have seen many of the "monkey on a stick" pickups. It attaches to the guitar top in some way that should be evident from close instpection. It should fit between the top and the strings so that the strings pass over it. the cable goes to the amp. It might have been constructed as an upgrade to a specific model of Sears Silvertone guitar even though it reads as a "universal" unit. What else do you want / need to know?

Comment

That would be a good reason why i can't find it. Thank you very much for your time and shared knowledge. It's greatly appreciated. I think for now i will just put it away for awhile.

Comment

dearmond made many variations on the gold foil pickup, the pickup you have looks exactly like one of the variations, they used many different pierced patterns on the covers and occasionally used solid covers- look up dearmond gold foil on here and youll find threads about it but probably nothing on the mounting arrangement you have- never seen that!

Comment

The two black knobby things at the back do they unscrew? If so then it would go inside the guitar with the pickup adjusted on the slide to centre in the sound hole and the knobs screwed through the front to hold it in place. May be barking up the wrong tree so some more info would be good. With the interest and like of the Dearmonds it would be a good one to duplicate very easily.

Comment

I think the black knobby things are tone and volume. I think it attaches by friction with the fretboard and bridge as the contact points from looking at what documentation is available.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Norton View Post
                    I think the black knobby things are tone and volume. I think it attaches by friction with the fretboard and bridge as the contact points from looking at what documentation is available.
                    Thanks for pointing that out Earl. Gotta admit I didn't read the bunff just looked at the piccy. Fascinating..

Comment

So the adjustable length pointy pins go into the end of the fingerboard and the rear section with the knobs pushed up against the bridge under the strings. The pickup itself can slide back and forth along the metal tray with the two ridges. Pretty clever design if it works. I wouldn't think that extra mass pressing against the bridge would help the tone of the guitar at all at least acoustically.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                        So the adjustable length pointy pins go into the end of the fingerboard and the rear section with the knobs pushed up against the bridge under the strings. The pickup itself can slide back and forth along the metal tray with the two ridges. Pretty clever design if it works. I wouldn't think that extra mass pressing against the bridge would help the tone of the guitar at all at least acoustically.
                        It is very clever. Thanks for the insite. I spent two days trying to bring anything up about this thing on the internet and I have found absolutly nothing that resembles this. Even if were made made for a short period of time and may or may not have reached popularity, I don't understand why I can't find anything about it online. Could it be so rare as to where I hold the last one in exsistance. haha. Doubt it but just don't understand it. Anyways, thank you everyone for aiding me in this confusing matter. If anyone stumbles across any conclusive information about this exact device, I would be very greatful for your share.

Comment

Well rest assured Inventacom, it has made its way on to the internet now, congratulations and thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Comment

great point. now if searched it should atleast appear here. lol... thank you

Comment

the pickup itself is possibly a Stratotone pickup and they are VERY popular in the West Coast Blues world. Made popular by Junior Watson and Rick Holmstrom. Junior made the Harmony H44 Stratotone guitar prices shoot up ridiculously for a cheesy cheap guitar that they were. the pickup basically is a wide flat, long alnico magnet on a ferrous baseplate. Your unit is very cool if its actually DeArmond manufacture, I've seen some Kent guitar versions that were Japanese and really crappy.....
                              http://www.SDpickups.com
                              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Working...
                              X