Fender Performer 1000 No Reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Performer 1000 No Reverb

I own a fender performer 1000 combo amp and after letting another band borrow it during a performance my band had the amp started cutting out at higher volumes which I figured out later that their guitarist must have stepped on a cable connected to the footswitch jack while it was plugged in and broken a solder point on the jack which caused it to switch channels while vibrating, I found and resoldered the broken point so now it no longer tries to switch channels at higher volumes.

After doing the repair I noticed that there was a lot of buzzing coming from the amp so I fiddled with the knobs and noticed when I turned the reverb knob all the way off I didn't get much buzzing anymore, however when I do turn the reverb knob up all I get is that extra buzzing and no reverb at all. I took out the reverb tank and gave it a look but didn't notice any broken parts or lose wires, etc. I also didn't notice any broken solder points on the board where the RCA cable connects from the tank. Anyone have any ideas what might be going on?

Get out your ohm meter. Remove the reverb pan from the amp and unplug it. There are two jacks on it. At each jack,measure resistance across the jack. The jack marked INPUT should have a relatively low resistance, and the OUTPUT jack probably more like 100-200 ohms. The resistance won;t be "wrong," it will either have continuity or be open. Open is bad, some low resistance is OK.

If either end of the pan reads open, look inside. There is small black and green wires from the spring transducer over to the jack. They break off. If it breaks off at the jack, we can fix it with solder.

Tell us the number printed on the pan, should be something like 4EB2C1B. Just to be sure it is the right one.

Now with the pan out, fire up the amp. With the amp on and the reverb control midway, touch the tips of the reverb cables. One should hum out the speaker. THAT one plugs into the reverb pan OUTPUT jack. If we hook it up backwards, it won't work right.

If none of that gets it, then we can work on the amp circuits.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by RchUncleSkeleton View Post
      I own a fender performer 1000 combo amp and after letting another band borrow it during a performance my band had the amp started cutting out at higher volumes which I figured out later that their guitarist must have stepped on a cable connected to the footswitch jack while it was plugged in and broken a solder point on the jack which caused it to switch channels while vibrating, I found and resoldered the broken point so now it no longer tries to switch channels at higher volumes.

After doing the repair I noticed that there was a lot of buzzing coming from the amp so I fiddled with the knobs and noticed when I turned the reverb knob all the way off I didn't get much buzzing anymore, however when I do turn the reverb knob up all I get is that extra buzzing and no reverb at all. I took out the reverb tank and gave it a look but didn't notice any broken parts or lose wires, etc. I also didn't notice any broken solder points on the board where the RCA cable connects from the tank. Anyone have any ideas what might be going on?
      I had a prosonic that did that, turned out to be the coupling cap in the reverb driver circuit.
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
        I had a prosonic that did that, turned out to be the coupling cap in the reverb driver circuit.
        Hello
        I have the same problem with my performer...
        How can I identify the coupling cap?
        I have watching the pcb and there is no componant that looks to be burn...and I can't find any good quality schematics.

Comment

Working...
        X