Source for mounting plates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for mounting plates?

I know Gibson still makes these for their mini-buckers and even in some cases, for their P90s, so SOMEONE is making them.

Does anyone know a source for these?

The Pickup Artist

Gibson has their own parts made. That doesn't look too had to make.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      Gibson has their own parts made. That doesn't look too had to make.
      I agree.
      Sheet steel and a jigsaw, and your set.
      If your doing lots of them, you could order some strip steel that width, from M. Carr.
      Cut it off and drill holes.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Yes, I could rig them up with a saw and a drill. But I am looking for nice die stamped ones. Since Gibson MAKES them, and used to offer them, I was wondering if there is still a source.
        The Pickup Artist

Comment

I wouldn't use regular steel. Either (non magnetic) stainless or nickel silver.

They look like aluminum. Gibson likes to make weird aluminum parts like this fake pole piece assembly:

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

The picture I provided is a picture of genuine Gibson parts, and those plates ARE steel, magnetic. I just put a magnet to them this morning.

I really am nnly interested in if there is anyone who has a source or a way of ordering these parts from Gibson. If not, I know I can make them or have them made. I am looking for a way to BUY 50 or 100 from Gibson or 3rd party source.
            The Pickup Artist

Comment

Originally posted by SKATTERBRANE View Post
              The picture I provided is a picture of genuine Gibson parts, and those plates ARE steel, magnetic. I just put a magnet to them this morning.
              I wouldn't use magnetic steel under a humbucker. In the example above, that aluminum pole piece assembly doesn't help the tone of the pickup. So Gibson does not make the best decisions when designing pickups.

What purpose does that plate serve anyway? Just something for the mounting screws to fasten to? You can make that out of anything, like wood or acrylic, and use a couple of threaded brass inserts.

Comment

A P90 typically machine screws into treaded brass inserts. The plate machine screws into those same threaded brass insertand then the mini-bucker machine screws into the outboard threaded holes of the plate. I am not looking to rig something up. I am looking to offer a universal mounting solution for people who have P90s and want to put in minibuckers for my customers. I have aleady offered them various "do it yourself" solutions. I am not looking for a problem solving discussion. I am looking for a source for the plate Gibson has used since 1969 and still uses today. In fact the are using thse plate for their current mini, and they are using a plate like this but with outboard holes enlargened and the inboard holes threaded for P90 on some USA models.

So, I know how to mount a mini-bucker into a P90 route with wood screws. But, most customes cannot or will not work on their own gutars, and I want to make life easy for them.

So, I need a source for this plate.
                The Pickup Artist

Comment

A P90 typically machine screws into treaded brass inserts. The plate machine screws into those same threaded brass insertand then the mini-bucker machine screws into the outboard threaded holes of the plate. I am not looking to rig something up. I am looking to offer a universal mounting solution for people who have P90s and want to put in minibuckers for my customers. I have aleady offered them various "do it yourself" solutions. I am not looking for a problem solving discussion. I am looking for a source for the plate Gibson has used since 1969 and still uses today. In fact the are using thse plate for their current mini, and they are using a plate like this but with outboard holes enlargened and the inboard holes threaded for P90 on some USA models.

So, I know how to mount a mini-bucker into a P90 route with wood screws. But, most customes cannot or will not work on their own gutars, and I want to make life easy for them.

Sorry, I was trying to help.
                  I won't do it again!
                  T
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

I haven't worked on any recent guitars with P-90s, but the ones I have used wood screws. That's how it was in the 70s with the SGs and stuff. I've also worked on Les Paul Deluxes and they did not have this plate under the pickup.

The usual mounting was done like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	LP_Deluxe_PU_mount.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	825884

Either way, Gibson does not buy these from anyone, they make them. So I'm not sure where you are going to find them, unless you buy them from Gibson. You might be able to make something like this from a humbucker baseplate, though it would be simple enough to make from scratch. I'd get a piece of brass and shape and drill and tap it.

Comment

Yes, that is the other way Gibson has done it. P90s have been mounted with both wood screws and machine screws into brass inserts, depending on year and model of Gibson. And now recently on some 60s tribute Classics, P90 are mounted with the plate:

Genuine Gibson P-90 Bridge Pickup from a 2012 Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute | eBay

I will now unsubscribe from this thread. Thank you one and all.
                      The Pickup Artist

Comment

I will now unsubscribe from this thread. Thank you one and all.
                        Sorry, but I don't get this attitude. You make pickups, but you can't go to the hardware store and by a flat steel bar, cut it and drill 4 holes and tap two of them? It doesn't have to be that goofy shape Gibson uses.

It's nice to just buy ready made parts, but that's not always possible.

Comment

I know Gibson still makes these for their mini-buckers and even in some cases, for their P90s, so SOMEONE is making them.

Does anyone know a source for these?

I hope you find your parts your looking for Rod
                          I have made a few of the these mounting plate & I pretty much copied what Jason has done in this video
                          Installing mini humbuckers Part 5 - YouTube
                          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Okay, here is the attitude. I asked a simple question. In fact I had to ask it 5 times and STILL you are trying to explain to me how a mini-bucker or a P90 mounts. I KNOW how they mount and the various ways they mount. I KNOW I can make something myself that will work. That is not my question. My question is: Does anyone know of a source for these plates? So, all that is required is 1. Yes, here is the source ________. Or 2. No I do not know of a source. or 3. Do not reply at all.

Only 7 or 8 years ago you could buy these plates from Gibson retail parts dealers.

Even after I have explained all this and demonstrated I have experienced several different ways Gibson has mounted minis and P90 through the years, I am still getting suggestions. I want only to know if I can buy these and where. If I can't, I can't.

I know how to mount minis with spacers, springs and wood screws. But this is the deal I am not the one doing the mounting, my customers or his tech would be mounting them, and THEY often do not have a clue. I do not want to send them some rudimentary, homemade part. These mouting plates would be a professional way to help my customers out. Gibson includes them when you buy their minis, and I would like to as well.

If I have to go to the bar method that Gibson has used in some years or models I will. It would sure beat having to explain to each customer how to mount them with wood screws.

Again I am not doing the mounting. And most customers have no idea how to mount a mini where a P90 came out of. If I had their guitar at my shop, I could do it for them, and I would not need a bar or a plate. I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF THERE IS A SOURCE FOR THIS PLATE!
                            The Pickup Artist

Comment

Yes, Jason's video is very cool. But it is not like I have my customer's guitar to do this for them. I send them pickups and they install them or have them installed. If customers wanted to ship me their guitars and pay for shipping them back so I could intall their pickups, I would not have started this thread. I am trying to make life easier for my mini-bucker customers. And to have these plates (or even the bars) would be very helpful to them.
                              The Pickup Artist

Comment

Working...
                              X