Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread remings me of:
    Me: "Do you have a screw driver?"
    Other: "No, I but I have a hammer. How about a saw?" Will a wrench do? You can use the edge or a dime as a screw driver. You can make a screw driver out of a steel shaft, grind down one end to a blade and then mould a handle out of epoxy."

Me: "Alrighty then, thank you."
    The Pickup Artist

Comment

Either you've asked Gibson or you haven't, either they are available from Gibson or they aren't. Clearly no one here is willing to take that step for you.
      From looking at them they would be simple to make with a die to stamp them out. Investing $2-K for a die is a lot of money so you'd want to order thousands or be willing to spend an extra $20 each for a hundred of them. Therefore I'd take some of the free advice you've already gotten and redesign the damn things to make them simpler to make and non-magnetic e.g. by using brass, aluminum or 1/8" thick Forbon or phenolic impregnated cloth (aka bakelite). Personally I think I'd go with forbon as it's so easy to work with and it holds machine threads well. The 1/8" forbon is available from McMaster.com Don't bother thanking me for not answering your question. If you do find out what Gibson charges for these or find a part number, feel free to post it here.
      if you want a bid for someone here to make you a hundred of a simplified plate just say the words.

Comment

I am not asking for anyone to ask Gibson for me. I am not expecting someone to contact Gibson for me. I am ONLY asking if someone already KNOWS if they are available somewhere. I just do not get it. I am not asking anyone to make them for me. I am asking if anyone KNOWS of a source. There are parts that Gibson sells to dealers or third parites that they do not offer on their site. I was thinking this part may be one of them. They have been offered on sites before. I am not asking for anything other than IF someone already knows of a source. How can I be more plain, or explicit? It is a very simple question.

I have never seen so many people who cannot understand a simple question. If you do not know, DON'T answer. Or be so kind as to say "I do not know, but I have been wondering the same thing."

I think maybe a course in reading comprehension is in order for a few of you here.
        The Pickup Artist

Comment

This is a free Forum, What do you expect?
          I don't get the attitude either, we discuss things here.
          You always going to get more info than you bargained for on a Forum.
          That is how all Forums work.
          You filter through the information, and take it or leave it.
          If you are that sensitive to a few additional ideas and ways of doing things, this is probably not the place for you!
          And, to answer your Question with a Yes, or No, So far the NO's Have it!
          No one here, wishes you any ill will.
          Everyone is just trying to help.
          Good Luck, and Chill!
          Peace and Tone,
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by SKATTERBRANE View Post
            I am ONLY asking if someone already KNOWS if they are available somewhere. I just do not get it. I am not asking anyone to make them for me. I am asking if anyone KNOWS of a source.
            We don't. Sorry. Would you have rather everyone just post "no", or not answer it at all? We are all trying to give you a solution. A lot of us have to make our own parts. It's not that hard. We have no choice though. It's nice to be able to buy pre-made parts, but that doesn't always get you what you want. I wouldn't buy a part that looks like that. It just doesn't seem well designed, and unless you are stamping them out or something, is too complicated for what it does. I'd just take a brass or aluminum bar, cut it to length, and drill a few holes and tap it. Should take no more than 20 minutes. If you make up a drill guide you can churn them out even faster.

Sorry if that's not what you are looking for, but that's my only answer. I'm sure if we knew a source we would tell you. Even Guitar Fetish pickups had to come up with another way. They use long wood screws, like for Jazz bass pickups, and then put foam under the pickup to press it up. Sometimes customer have to take their guitars to a pro to have pickups installed. That's nothing new.

If you want to insult people, than maybe YOU should become a real pickup maker. Buying parts off the shelf and winding coils is not the same thing. eBay is full of those pickups. Sometimes you have to MAKE things. If you have customers and are being paid, then do the work.

You can certainly have those laser cut from thick forbon like David said. Talk to Mojo. It's a one time cheap setup fee and then they are very cheap to have made.
            Last edited by David Schwab; 09-02-2012, 11:39 PM.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Wow we've been on topic for way longer than we usually do. I have a better question in mind, what's everyone's favorite color?
              David, I think you might be going a little bit over the line there, we don't know anything about Skatterbrane's pickups do we? Why antagonize further when it's not really productive? If I were a serious pickup maker I wouldn't necessarily want to take up my time making parts that weren't part of the actual pickup if they were available off the shelf. Do any of us make our own mounting screws?

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                If you want to insult people, than maybe YOU should become a real pickup maker.
                Careful, that has meanings other than what I think you meant.

Comment

Skatterbraine - no

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                    Why antagonize further when it's not really productive?
                    I was responding to this:

I think maybe a course in reading comprehension is in order for a few of you here.
                    If he wants people to be helpful, lose the attitude. That's a bit condescending, is it not? So I simply replied with a similar attitude.

A common thing in this forum is people looking for a certain part. We all do it. In the end we tend to have people explaining how to make the part, because they went though the same issue of finding it. This is a proprietary Gibson part. I've certainly never seen one for sale. So as I said, we could have just said "sorry, no, we don't know where to get one" and moved on. The fact that he's getting bent out of shape because people are taking time to try and offer a solution is annoying.

This IS productive because maybe he will realize he's not getting anywhere with that attitude.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
                      Careful, that has meanings other than what I think you meant.
                      I meant sometimes you have to actually make parts. It's equivalent to people buying parts from Warmoth and calling themselves a guitar maker. Or buying a table from Ikea and calling yourself a carpenter because you have to assemble it.

Either way I was making a point about forum etiquette. Don't be rude to the people you are asking to help you. So I can be rude too. But that doesn't get anyone anywhere.

Comment

I meant sometimes you have to actually make parts. It's equivalent to people buying parts from Warmoth and calling themselves a guitar maker. Or buying a table from Ikea and calling yourself a carpenter because you have to assemble it.

Either way I was making a point about forum etiquette. Don't be rude to the people you are asking to help you. So I can be rude too. But that doesn't get anyone anywhere.
                        While we are analyzing?
                        There are Givers and Takers.
                        I prefer Sharers.
                        Givers on a forum, give out info on a regular basis.
                        Takers, Don't share anything but are Hawking around to get all the hot info and scoop of Others.
                        Then, Ideally you have those that Share.
                        They give and take info, as it is shared on the Forum.
                        I would prefer to see more of the Later!
                        T
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

... I just do not get it. I am not asking anyone to make them for me. I am asking if anyone KNOWS of a source...
                          I totally get what you mean Skat.
                          (this just isn't really the right venue for that)

I once worked for a major software company doing some network engineering/support, we had a crew of guys that were all really smart individuals. I found out later that part of the hiring process was a series of questions (we all answered) which was not so much designed to search the depths of one's understanding, but to weed-out the people who offer "alternate" solutions when a specific answer is asked for. They explained later that "creativity" was a great quality, but "accurate and specific response" was golden, I tend to agree, but it's not something I would expect of people visiting an open public forum such as this.

BTW, my accepted reply to the stumper-question was: "I don't know (at the moment) but can get you the answer..." and their response was "you're hired"
                          (they told me later there was no "right" answer to the question)
                          -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

That is just bazzar, are the pole pieces (screws) aluminum too?
                            -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
                              That is just bazzar, are the pole pieces (screws) aluminum too?
                              It's a fake mudbucker. It has two mini humbucker bobbins with that blade running through them. On the bottom there are two ceramic magnets attached as they would be on a P-90. They actually have the blades mounted upside-down IMO! They are T shaped, and if you put them in the other way, the blade pokes up higher next to the aluminum thing. The aluminum thing just holds fake pole pieces so when it's in the cover it looks like the old EB-3 pickup.

Here's what the whole thing looks like:

I rewound and rebuilt it like this:

Comment

It's a fake mudbucker. It has two mini humbucker bobbins with that blade running through them. On the bottom there are two ceramic magnets attached as they would be on a P-90. They actually have the blades mounted upside-down IMO! They are T shaped, and if you put them in the other way, the blade pokes up higher next to the aluminum thing. The aluminum thing just holds fake pole pieces so when it's in the cover it looks like the old EB-3 pickup.
                                That was a Con Job.
                                Did it sound better when you got done?
                                Was that made by gibson?
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X