Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• treble loss, stratpickup

my first post:
    anyone know the problem of treble loss when re-wound middlepickup switched with neck or bridge-pickup?
    thanks a lot,
    basscu

Originally posted by basscu View Post
    my first post:
    anyone know the problem of treble loss when re-wound middlepickup switched with neck or bridge-pickup?
    thanks a lot,
    basscu
    I think it could probably be a phasing issue. If the pickups are out of phase, the sound will be hollow and lower volume, when two pickups are combined. Try swapping the leads on the middle pickup and see if that helps.
    www.sonnywalton.com
    How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
      I think it could probably be a phasing issue. If the pickups are out of phase, the sound will be hollow and lower volume, when two pickups are combined. Try swapping the leads on the middle pickup and see if that helps.
      thanks sonny, customer claims he has tested this and doesn't think that's the problem.
      basscu

Comment

does the guitar have the `5 way ? On what switch selection are you having issues ?
        you would have treble loss if you used a very hot bridge in the other positions
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Get your customer to experiment with the pickup height; the 'mixed' tone will change significantly according to the relative outputs and tones of each.
          I expect the mixed positions 2 and 4 to have less overall treble than the bridge or neck pickups on their own, due to phase cancellations.
          There will be a compromise between the unmixed and mixed tones / volumes.
          Pete
          My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
            does the guitar have the `5 way ? On what switch selection are you having issues ?
            you would have treble loss if you used a very hot bridge in the other positions
            thanks copperheadroads,
            yes fiveway, treble-loss in both mixed positions, both with neck and bridgepickup, all three duncan antiquities, middle rewound.

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
              Get your customer to experiment with the pickup height; the 'mixed' tone will change significantly according to the relative outputs and tones of each.
              I expect the mixed positions 2 and 4 to have less overall treble than the bridge or neck pickups on their own, due to phase cancellations.
              There will be a compromise between the unmixed and mixed tones / volumes.
              Pete
              thanks pete,
              maybe I'll have to check it myself.
              bascu

Comment

I've also noticed a small amount of that with tapped humbuckers.
                Especiall like Copper says with high output buckers.
                When tapped in single coil mode the pickup will be brighter, when in humbucker, it looses some highs.
                That must be the cancelation you get with both coils.
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

The middle should be RWRP. If it was rewound the wrong direction ie. the same as the bridge, or neck, and with reversed polarity it would have some phase issues.

Comment

The Duncan Antiquity Strat pickups are built just the same as the 1954 to 1959 Strat pickups were built.
                    North polarized and use a black start wire and a white finish wire.

They do offer them in a South polarity for RW/RP and they are built just the opposite of the North polarity pickups
                    Last edited by Stratz; 09-11-2012, 09:05 PM.

Comment

thanks to all!

Comment

Working...
                      X