Single coil with different sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single coil with different sound?

Hi, i have a question, 4 month ago i have wound a single coil pickup with this spec: 8840 turns, bobbin height 11mm, 0.06 copper wire (the wire is from Brasil), looooots of satter with .197 diam. alnico v rods from magnetc holds, charged with 2 neodimium disc. When I tried it, it sound harsh, too middles, no life.... and i thought that the problem was that i wound too hot, but today i tried again in my stat and sound very well!!!! another thing is that i have pasted a 2mm copper base in the bottom of the coil, now with no ground conection....in the past with gound conection and with some space between the copper plate and the coil (is because the glue I used).

Why changes the sound?

Regards

Juan Motta
    Last edited by David Schwab; 09-12-2012, 02:20 PM.

The increase in capacitance kills the high frequencies.

Comment

But... where is the increase in capacitance? the pickup is the same....

Comment

Originally posted by cenizasblancas View Post
        Hi, i have a cuetion, 4 month ago i have wound a single coil pickup with this spec: 8840 turns, bobbin height 11mm, 0.06 copper wire (the wire is from Brasil), looooots of satter with .197 diam. alnico v rods from magnetc holds, charged with 2 neodimium disc. When I tried it, it sound harsh, too middles, no life.... and i thought that the problem was that i wound too hot, but today i tried again in my stat and sound very well!!!! another thing is that i have pasted a 2mm copper base in the bottom of the coil, now with no ground conection....in the past with gound conection and with some space between the copper plate and the coil (is because the glue I used).

Why changes the sound?

Regards

Juan Motta
        If you really want to know what changed it?
        Try taking the copper base off, then retest.
        Another thing the magnets have settled and maybe the Gauss is less now?
        So if you take the base plate off and still sounds good?
        Try recharging the magnets again and see if that makes it harsher again?
        With knowing what changed it, perhaps you could bypass the harshness by degaussing, or whatever?
        Please let us know what you find?
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I vote for eddy currents. Or something else.
          DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

The thick copper plate in close proximity to the coil... dare i say the words that rhyme with "ready durance"?

Comment

another thing is that i have pasted a 2mm copper base in the bottom of the coil, now with no ground conection
              What is the purpose of that plate? It's probably killing the high end on the pickup.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                What is the purpose of that plate? It's probably killing the high end on the pickup.
                But, apparently, in a "good" way.
                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

I was thinking that would do the opposite...
                  I´m going to do what Terry said but i don´t have nothing to degauss magnets, i only have an old cheap strat pickup with 2 thin bar magnets that i presume are ceramic. What do you think? i will work?
                  If it work... maybe this would by the reason why sound different, because i keep the pickup that i wound with this old pickup in the same box.

Comment

I was thinking that would do the opposite...
                    I´m going to do what Terry said but i don´t have nothing to degauss magnets, i only have an old cheap strat pickup with 2 thin bar magnets that i presume are ceramic. What do you think? i will work?
                    If it work... maybe this would by the reason why sound different, because i keep the pickup that i wound with this old pickup in the same box.
                    A steel plate would give you more bite. Copper isn't doing anything besides smoothing out the high end because of eddy currents. You might have used copper because you see copper plated steel plates on Tele pickups.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

A steel plate would give you more bite. Copper isn't doing anything besides smoothing out the high end because of eddy currents. You might have used copper because you see copper plated steel plates on Tele pickups.
                      Yes, that was the reason.

Comment

This is the cheap pickup that i said, this magnets are ceramic?

Comment

IMG_1110.JPG - DivShare

Comment

This is the cheap pickup that i said, this magnets are ceramic?
                            Yes, those are ceramic magnets. The white painted face is usually North.

Comment

How can i degauss using this pickup? puting the front side of the rod manets of my pickup in front of the north of the ceramic magnets?

Comment

Working...
                              X