Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gutar wiring with coil-split, series/parallel AND pickup selection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gutar wiring with coil-split, series/parallel AND pickup selection?

Howdy, again,

I'm discussing the idea of modding a friend's Washburn RX50 guitar with him. The stock guitar is wired as a 3VT. The first idea was to mod it to a split-3VT, that is, with a push-pull that'd switch both humbuckers into single-coils by shunting the inner coil of each pickup into ground. That's not a problem, as I'd recently restored a friend's Schecter C-1 Exotic to that state after his push-pull pot broke (the pot shaft snapped clean off and the knob'd actually come off ). So that schematic looks like this.

Here's where it gets tricky: I also had the idea of having another push-pull pot that'd also switch the pickups' relation between parallel and series mode (that is, not pickups internally, but pickups in-between each other). So in the end, the guitar could have:
    • a simultaneous coil-splitter
    • a series/parallel switch that
    • a functioning 3-way selector
    • standard volume and tone

Can the extra S/P switch be added using a DPDT on-on switch or is it an unreasonable question?
    Last edited by Stealth; 09-11-2012, 08:25 PM.
    Pickup prototype checklist: [x] FR4 [x] Cu AWG 42 [x] Neo magnets [x] Willpower [ ] Time - Winding suspended due to exams.

Originally posted by David Schwab
    Then you have neos... which is a fuzzy bunny wrapped in barbed wire.

Did more research - and it can be done. I'll post the how when I find the time to redraw.
    Pickup prototype checklist: [x] FR4 [x] Cu AWG 42 [x] Neo magnets [x] Willpower [ ] Time - Winding suspended due to exams.

Comment

Took a while, here's the completed wiring. Feel free to use.

Comment

Working...
      X