5E3 vol & tone mod to 6G3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5E3 vol & tone mod to 6G3

Hi I'm building my second 5E3 based amp, but I want two separate channels with tone and volume on each.

I've therefore simply drawn the 6G3 deluxe tone circuit onto the 5E3 schematic.

Coming from pin 2 of the V2 on the 6G3 circuit is a wire which forks to feed the middle lug of each volume pot via a 220k resistor on each feed.

Can anyone tell me if I need to include these two resistors when adapting the 5E3 circuit, or can I just connect pin 2 of V2 directly to each volume pot middle lug?

Click image for larger version

Name:	5e3 front500.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	866718

You have to, those are called mixing resistors, and without them channels' volume pots would be too dependent on one another (for instance, one channel would go silent if you set the OTHER's channel volume pot to zero)

And I guess you'll have to have either two separate tone controls (like 6G3), or a dual-gang pot for tone (wired as 6G3)

Comment

Thanks that's very helpful - I'm learning as I go along. For my first build I bought a repro 5E3 faceplate and Bruce at Mission's excellent mod kit. This time, I've made my own faceplate using photo glossy paper, Corel Draw and a piece of perspex to go over it - it looks very good. It has separate tone and volume pots for each channels. I'll put up pics when I get round to finishing it.

Comment

Working...
      X