Recording Engineering Books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording Engineering Books?

Any recommendations on recording engineering books?
    -Bryan

There are tons.

Go to the music store or news stand and pick up an issue of Mix. That is a magazine aimed at the recording studio crowd. They advertize the Mix Bookshelf - they sell a selection of books related to the topic. And the magzine itself usually has tutorials on various aspects. Their web site www.mixonline.com has various educational materials. scan their list of support stuff, and scroll down to the bottom to see some books featured.

But Mix is for the large professional studio. Technique is technique, but the same people publish EQ. EQ is aimed at the small studio and the project studio. That should be more what you would be. They would also advertize the Mix bookshelf items, and they too have tutorials and support stuff. Visit them at www.eqmag.com.

The advantage of the magazines over a book is that over the course of a year, they cover most areas or recording. one month microphones and another month processors or whatever. Books tend to be general, because they need to be relevant for a long time. Magazine articles will more likely refer to todays current product and offer specific information. The best book in the world might have timeless information about mic placement, types of reverb, soundproofing, etc, but if it was written 20 years ago, it won't tell you much about ProTools, mix automation, Sampling rates, editing on gard disc recorders, and like that. The magazines often have "shoot outs" where they compare current models of something like condenser mics, mic preamps, monitor speakers, compressors, software, you name it.

EQ will more likely cover 8-channel hard drive mixers and great microphones under $200, while Mix will shootout $2000 single channel mic preamps and discuss the latest 64 chanel automated mix desk.

DOn't get me wrong, there are great books, but they are not the all in one solution. If the photos in the book show the engineer wearing a tie and the singers wearing matched argyle sweaters, chances are it is a trifle out of date.

Like books on amp repair or anything else, some readers connect with one book while other readers find a different book works for them.

And like guitar playing, recording is an art and skill built upon experience: no book can lay it out and say, "Here, this is how to be a recording engineer."
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I appreciate your response. You spent alot of time. The websites are nice.

I am still looking for books. Some were listed on the websites as you mentioned.

I actually do not plan on recording. I want to apply the techniques that improve or enhance the sound during recording to live music. This I feel will improve or enhance the sound of live music.

I am probably biased against digital technology, so the latest and greatest is probably the worst for me.

I am a real believer in tube technology, so older books could be a real plus.

I am hoping for actual titles of books that people know personally and can recommend.

Yes there are tons out there. Probably most are expensive garbage.
      -Bryan

Comment

The Art Of Electronics is another great book that covers old stuff.
        KB

Comment

buy my old book !

http://product.half.ebay.com/Modern-...QQtgZvidetails

Comment

Audio Cyclopedia by Howard Tremaine

I think the last issue was in the mid 70's but the book is still very relevant.
            You will find that many audio engineers refer to it.
            Something like 1700 pages cover almost everything related to audio, audio recording, sound, audio circuit design, on and on.
            Not cheap.

Comment

Audio Cyclopedia by Howard Tremaine looks real good. Thanks.
              -Bryan

Comment

Working...
              X