Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson GA-20RVT Footswitch Plug

Hi all -

Well I just got done with a repair on an old Gibson GA-20RVT and am now down to the point where I could use a plug for the footswitch jack (no footswitch with this unit when I got it).

Anyone know a brand and model number for these? Or maybe even where to locate one? Looks kind of like an old Amphenol plug like the ones Shure used to use on their old mics, but with more pins.

Thanks!

-Mark

I Hope a Picture is Worth a Thousand Words.

Mark,

I'm not a techie by any means and I usually just come here to browse the Pickup Makers Forum. But I saw your question re: the Gibson Amp and I happen to have that very amp. I don't see any serial number or any other markings on the footswitch but if pictures will help you or someone else to have that "aha moment," then here they are.

Sincerely,

orrk01
    Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, I am trying to remember what plug that is. We used the exact same plug on the volume control connector on RockOla jukeboxes in the 70s and 80s.

A luthier friend of mine needed one of thos plugs, so he made one. I thought it was amazing resourcefulness, but to him it was nothing, he was more interested in other parts.

What he did was made a piece of hardwood dowel stock the diameter of the plug. Either it is a stock diameter or he turned it down from larger stock. Then using brass rod stock, he made pins for it. He drilled holes to suit in the wood body and ran the pins through, and soldered cable wires to the other end of the plug pins. It was very nice work.

ANd nothing prevents you from mounting a different jack on the chassis and a mate on the cable. Only four pins are used, and you could probably make it only three easily enough.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Mark,

I see some that look similar at the link below, but I'm not sure:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/626/954.pdf

Ray

Comment

Hey thanks orrk01 for posting those pics - that's pretty over-the-top helpful!

I like the plug-making story Enzo - sounds like something I would try only I probably would go for epoxy potting rather than wood. As it turns out the owner isn't very stodgy about alterations so I'll probably set it up to use a commercially available Fender 2-button F/S.

Thanks Ray for the link. Mouser is usually the first place I look but as far as I can tell this plug is fairly obsolete. I'm almost sure I've seen that plug on the shelves of some electronic surplus store somewhere (probably in another state while on vacation).

Anyway thank you guys for the helpful replies!

Mark

Comment

What connector you use doesn't matter much, but don't forget to shield the wire to the reverb switch, or your FS will introduce a lot of noise.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'll probably set it up to use a commercially available Fender 2-button F/S

You hack-butcher...
              You know I would do the same. If it were mine I'd probably holla-out a piece of two-by-four, cut in a wedge shape for the footswitch housing. That would look pretty close to the original. Who cares about the plug end as long as it makes good contact.

RE

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo
                What connector you use doesn't matter much, but don't forget to shield the wire to the reverb switch, or your FS will introduce a lot of noise.
                Yes definately - that's why I was thinking Fender.

Originally posted by Rick Erickson
                You hack-butcher...
                You know I would do the same. If it were mine I'd probably holla-out a piece of two-by-four, cut in a wedge shape for the footswitch housing. That would look pretty close to the original. Who cares about the plug end as long as it makes good contact.
                Gee - you would go to the trouble to make it a wedge?.

Maybe it's all moot now - customer says just leave everything enabled and call it good.

Comment

I THINK the original is an Amphenol from their mic series.

91-MPM5L

The 91-MPM5S is similar but with a shorter shell.

I found them at a couple industrual places who have like $250-300 minimums. Still looking for over the counter on them.

Comment

I thought I was a master parts ferret but I think you've got me beat Enzo!

Comment

Hey, it's not a contest, we all work together.

I been soldering for 50 years, it was bound to pay off eventually.

Comment

Working...
                      X