hand winders or cnc winder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hand winders or cnc winder

I want to develop my business and to own a more professional winder to build pickups that can handle hundreds a month, I build almost all types of pickups, bass, humbucker, single,mini etc.
    Should I pay a lot of money on the adams hand coil winder Adams-Maxwell Hand Coil Winding Devices ?
    (I prefer to wind the pickup manually) or buy some Welcome to George Stevens Mfg., Inc.
    computer cnc automatic coils winder winding machine US1 | eBay
    AX3 Winding Machine
    do the adams coil winder Worth the money and do i need some of the Accessories Adams-Maxwell - 1201 Coil Winder Spare Parts
    I am using now the Schatten Pickup Winder and my custom stronger winder but i have problem with the loose tansion

You can wind hundreds of pickups a month by hand, if you feel like sitting there winding. This is what I do. I'm moving to a CNC winder so I can free up my time to do other things, like assembling wound coils into pickups.

You can also set up a CNC winder to do more than one coil at a time, and program it to wind the way you want. There's nothing intrinsically better about hand winding.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

thanks david....
      i love to wind by hand and think that cnc for now is not for me The question is what hand winder should I buy? should i buy the adams 1201 or Something else?

Comment

Hi Dor

Check out the winder at cncdudez.co.uk It could be the answer.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

this is sound good waldo but its cnc i think of buy it after i have a good hand winder
          +how do you Choose the tansion of the wire?

Comment

Hi Dor

The winder as it comes is tensioned with a simple felt pad system the wire going through 2 felt pads tension adjusted with a clamping screw. The system works fine. Fancier tensioning units can be bought like the tanaka units or Chinese copies although I can't say how good the copies are.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

thanks waldo i think that your winder is Very tempting i think that if you can adjust the tension i Probably buy it right after I buy a hand winder and the Pendant Add-on for the Coil Winder if it can Record the movements and play them back after i think will be Excellent!!!
              the tension is a big factor in the pickup building try to make it easy to Connect a tanaka or somting else that can Change the tansion,
              there is a pro winders here i know that thay help you (much more pro then me )
              I forgot to ask how much your winder cost?

Comment

If you are hand winding, that's how you adjust tension. With your hand.

I don't see how you could use a tensioning device and still hand guide the wire, unless you built a traverse and moved it back and forth by hand. If you are going to do that, build an auto traverse.

I don't think you are going to find any hand winding machine with tensioners.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

sorry davidI'm talking about the tansion on the cncdudez.co.uk cnc winder if i winding strat, loose ,lot tpl or less, bass pickup, paf, or mini... thay have Different tansions how i Change it on that cnc?

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                    If you are hand winding, that's how you adjust tension. With your hand.

I don't see how you could use a tensioning device and still hand guide the wire, unless you built a traverse and moved it back and forth by hand. If you are going to do that, build an auto traverse.

I don't think you are going to find any hand winding machine with tensioners.
                    Hi David

I've got one of the cncdudez winders. The tension adjustment as it comes is with standard type felt pads. The pendant idea that Sean from cncdudez is working on is that the wire feed across the bobbin (traverse) can be controlled left and right by hand using a slider pot pretty much the same as hand feeding also speed control for the wind motor can be varied by hand giving unlimited (almost) tactile feel for winding patterns. The winding pattern made with the pot control can be saved into the program/software and repeated. The only thing that can't be saved would be the varying tension that one has when feeding wire by hand. The tension on the machine must be preset using felt or a Tanaka style tensioner.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by dor baruch View Post
                      sorry davidI'm talking about the tansion on the cncdudez.co.uk cnc winder if i winding strat, loose ,lot tpl or less, bass pickup, paf, or mini... thay have Different tansions how i Change it on that cnc?
                      Oh OK. I thought you meant a tension control for a hand winder.

I wind mine all about the same. I never wind any loose.

Comment

Originally posted by the great waldo View Post
                        Hi David

I've got one of the cncdudez winders. The tension adjustment as it comes is with standard type felt pads. The pendant idea that Sean from cncdudez is working on is that the wire feed across the bobbin (traverse) can be controlled left and right by hand using a slider pot pretty much the same as hand feeding also speed control for the wind motor can be varied by hand giving unlimited (almost) tactile feel for winding patterns. The winding pattern made with the pot control can be saved into the program/software and repeated. The only thing that can't be saved would be the varying tension that one has when feeding wire by hand. The tension on the machine must be preset using felt or a Tanaka style tensioner.

Cheers

Andrew

How do you like that winder? I looks very nice. I have most of the parts to build one, but was looking at the layout of that one.

I never vary the tension. I guess I try to emulate machine winding.

Comment

Originally posted by dor baruch View Post
                          thanks waldo i think that your winder is Very tempting i think that if you can adjust the tension i Probably buy it right after I buy a hand winder and the Pendant Add-on for the Coil Winder if it can Record the movements and play them back after i think will be Excellent!!!
                          the tension is a big factor in the pickup building try to make it easy to Connect a tanaka or somting else that can Change the tansion,
                          there is a pro winders here i know that thay help you (much more pro then me )
                          I forgot to ask how much your winder cost?
                          Hi Dor

Get in touch with Sean at cncdudez, he will give you an actual price. The tanaka is a little easier to set repeat tension setings although normal felt pad tensioners are easy enough to adjust although some trial and error is required and a large knob with markings to repeat tension settings

Cheers
                          Andrew

Comment

thanks THE GREAT WALDO for all of your help

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                              How do you like that winder? I looks very nice. I have most of the parts to build one, but was looking at the layout of that one.

I never vary the tension. I guess I try to emulate machine winding.
                              Hi David

The winder works very well. Sean the producer was not really a guitar sort of person so had to be pointed in the right direction by me and some other pup makers as to what was required to wind guitar pups. I must say working with Sean was a pleasure he responded promptly to all and any requests for changes in the software and even going so far as to make me a smaller machine (my guitar making workshop is full up with tools wood and stuff, I think you know the scenario) In all honesty I think the full size machine would be small enough for most people, I was surprised how compact my machine was. I did by a pile of parts from elepro to build his winder but never managed to find the time to put it and make the frame for it together (sorry Antonio). At the price, the cncdudez winder was probably a bit more than what I first wanted to pay however it works so well that I think the price has more than been covered by increased productivity. Thinking about how much labour I would have to put into making something like this winder it would probably cost me double and that's not including the software. One of the main reasons for buying this winder is that it was accurate and flexible enough to wind any kind of pattern with repeatability so it is ideal for experimenting pup designs. The winder is still an ongoing project with the pendant upgrade for repeatable hand wind patterns (no one else does this as far as I know) There are some useful videos on the cncdudez site if you care to check them out. I would just like to say that I have no financial interest in cncdudez but am helping Sean when possible with other cncdudez forum members to make the winder as good as possible for pup winding. If you have any more enquiries it`s probably best if you contact Sean on the cncdudez forum, if you have any questions on the usability of the machine I can probably answer them.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X