Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resistor Values; best practices

Hi all,

I recently took some measurements on my amp, and found that the cathode-biased power tube is running way too hot. I need to bump up Rk from 330Ω to 435Ω, by my math.

This is my first time to make any value changes to an amp, and I hope someone can help me determine the best way to achieve this value. Should I use two larger value resistors in parallel, two smaller value resistors in series, or go with the closest value single resistor I can find?

Thanks,

Tim

Go with the closest standard value. I'd err on the side of caution and go with 470, better to be a little high. Is this a 6L6 output tube(s)?

Comment

Put in a 470, and parallel it with another resistor to bring it down to 435.

How? Rp = (R1*R2)/R1+R2), so if Rp=435 and R1=470, then
      435=(470*R2)/(470+R2) and solving for R2,
      R2=5841

if you use a 5.6K, the resistance is Rp = 5600*470/(5600+470) = 433 ohms.

The power rating needed is a function of the voltage. Since P = V^2/R,
      the power in the paralleling resistor is inversely related to the first resistor, and the power in the parallel resistor is P = P1* (470/Rp), so the paralleling resistor dissipates 470/5600 =0.084 times the power of the main resistor.

If the 470 is a 5W, you need a paralleling resistor of at least 5*(470/5600) = 0.419W to have them burn up at the same time. A 1/2W resistor would make the 5W 470 burn out first. You could put in a 10K 1/2W pot and tweak it in.
      Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure how the power rating worked out...I'm going to copy-paste that into my notes for future reference.

Comment

Working...
        X