No announcement yet.

5E3 PROBLEMS: oscillation and hum issues... HELP!!! 1961 GIBSON GA-6 LANCER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't have access to one unfortunately. I did calm down the squeal in CH.2 with a piece of copper tape across the back cover of the cab, but the overall problem is still there.

Comment

The power cord polarity is most probably a non issue.
      You need a test setup.
      Some sort of signal into the amp.
      A dummy load on the output.
      You may be able to find where the noise starts with a DVM.

Comment

I'm going to thums up woodyc one more time here. If the input is in phase with the OT secondaries and there is some cross talk causing oscillation due to proximity then swapping the power tube plate leads should fix the problem. It's just two wires. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Just switched them a second ago. I think that did the trick!!! Won't know for sure until all of my neighbors go to work tomorrow and I can plug in and turn up, but all signs point to YES!!! Thanks for the help guys!

Now what's with Gibson letting this amp leave the factory like that??? I'm positive this amp has never been gone through and all connections are as they were when it left the factory. And it's not only my amp, look up photos of other Gibson "tweed"ish era amps and they all look terrible and are riddled with issues. Here's a good thread on the GA-40 and GA-20. Lots of gross gut shots.

Comment

Working...
          X