Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to get a schatten-style bobbin mounting plate/ flywheel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get a schatten-style bobbin mounting plate/ flywheel.

So here's the rundown: I've posted before about building my own winding machine and it has in fact let to several successful pickup winds. Now after giving it some use, it's starting to require some maintenance. I suspect this is probably because I milled most of the parts out of plywood and unfortunately wood has a tendency to warp. I plan to replace the wooden drive pulleys with sewing machine parts as I find them, but the one thing I can't seem to find a good replacement for is the flywheel/bobbin-mounting plate. This is why I resorted to milling it myself in the first place.

The problem is that no matter what I do, I can't seem to keep the flywheel from developing a wobble. I've tried impregnating the wood with ca glue and giving it a polyurethane finish but it just doesn't want to stabilize. I'm really tired of milling flywheel after flywheel and I don't have the machinery to mill anything other than wood, so I've decided just to buy a legitimate schatten-style bobbin mounting plate. Anyone know where this can be had?

The bobbin mounting bar on the Schatten is just an aluminum bar with some holes drilled in it.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      The bobbin mounting bar on the Schatten is just an aluminum bar with some holes drilled in it.

Yes I know it seems simple, but I'm sure it's precision drilled and balanced which seems to be something I'm having a hard time achieving with my current tools.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnl View Post
        Yes I know it seems simple, but I'm sure it's precision drilled and balanced which seems to be something I'm having a hard time achieving with my current tools.
        Any Machinist can make that for you.
        Yes the holes need to be straight.
        Call around and see if you can find a machinist in your area that is reasonable.
        T
        **Bruce Johnson, on this forum, can make those for you.
        He does some machine work for members.
        Last edited by big_teee; 10-04-2012, 03:26 AM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

It's not balanced, it just has the mounting hole drilled carefully in the center. Thats not hard to do.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
            It's not balanced, it just has the mounting hole drilled carefully in the center. Thats not hard to do.
            I would think he's describing run-out as "wobble" not so much the centering of the hole.

... so I've decided just to buy a legitimate schatten-style bobbin mounting plate. Anyone know where this can be had?

Forget all that, contact Bruce Johnson, he's here on this forum, he's a machinist and can make you exactly what you need and get it right for your axle shaft, bobbins, etc .
            (and his price is fair)
            -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
              I would think he's describing run-out as "wobble" not so much the centering of the hole.
              Right, but "balanced" implies it was corrected to weigh the same on each side. You see this with sanding disk platens, where they machine off some aluminum with an end mill so spins evenly. Since the Schatten part is just an aluminum bar, by drilling the hole centered and at a right angle to the surface, it should spin well. It does not appear to have been machined.

Forget all that, contact Bruce Johnson, he's here on this forum, he's a machinist and can make you exactly what you need and get it right for your axle shaft, bobbins, etc .
              (and his price is fair)
              I had the very same thoughts.
              Last edited by David Schwab; 10-06-2012, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I'm here, although these days I only check in on this forum a few times a week. Sure, I can make up some kind of a shaft hub to fit your needs. So could any hobbyist machinist in your town. All you really need is some kind of a hub with a bore that fits snugly on the shaft that you have, and a face that's trued up to be perpendicular to the bore. Then you can modify it with any kind of plates or holes that you want.

A simple source is to find a metal pulley to fit the shaft that you have. The best ones are machined steel or aluminum, for roller chains or rubber timing belts. Look for one with a big flat front face. If it's lathe-turned, that front face will make a good true mounting surface. You can bolt or epoxy a plywood or plastic disk on to it. Beware of molded plastic pulleys; they often have lots of runout and wobble.

You can always reach me at brucejohnson100...at....att....dot...net
                Last edited by Bruce Johnson; 10-06-2012, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks Bruce!

I'm looking for a quick fix at the moment so I can get rolling on a project, so I'm gonna try your suggestion first. I would like to keep your services in mind for future uses.

Comment

Thanks Bruce!

I'm looking for a quick fix at the moment so I can get rolling on a project, so I'm gonna try your suggestion first. I would like to keep your services in mind for future uses.
                    I've made a bunch of my own stuff, with a Drill Press, square, and a level.
                    If it is a bar you can balance it like you do a lawn mower blade.
                    Put the center hole on a smaller shaft, and let it turn.
                    The heavy end will always go to the bottom.
                    remove metal until it stays level.
                    T
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

I wanted to thank everyone for their input. Bruce, I believe I found exactly what I need and in case anyone may be looking for a similar solution, here's a good place to find some small mechanical parts.

Pololu - Pololu Universal Aluminum Mounting Hub for 6mm Shaft Pair, 4-40 Holes

Comment

Shawnl,
                        you did look at this drawing? Pololu - Mechanical drawing for the Pololu universal aluminum mounting hub for 6 mm shaft.
                        It's 1" in dia and shaft hole is only .236" (6mm).

Comment

Shawnl,
                          you did look at this drawing? Pololu - Mechanical drawing for the Pololu universal aluminum mounting hub for 6 mm shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                            Shawnl,
                            you did look at this drawing? Pololu - Mechanical drawing for the Pololu universal aluminum mounting hub for 6*mm shaft.
                            Oh no I don't mean this as a replacement for the entire flywheel/platen, I just simply mean this solves the issue of having a perfectly machined hub. An aluminum bar or wheel will still have to mount to this but I was more worried about the hub.

Comment

I use those Pololu hubs for mounting my face plate made from old CDs
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	19605d1344771724-photo1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	533.5 KB
ID:	827079
                              Just be aware that the micro grub screws can be very fiddly to tighten with the tiny alen key when everything is mounted (ie make sure you have clearance between motor and plate to get your hands in

Comment

Working...
                              X