ID this Tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID this Tube?

Would appreciate it if anybody could narrow this tube down to the exact letter. I know it's a 12a...7

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/s...y2/photo-7.jpg
    http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/s...y2/photo-8.jpg

also the pic I want to show up isn't--it says "ca" and "ahy" on the tube and it's Sylvania.

Thanks
    Last edited by norby3; 10-05-2012, 08:59 PM.

It looks like their 12AX7, grey plate. It's a good sounding tube.

Comment

One way to find out is to plug it in a working circuit & compare the parameters to another known good 12A(X,T,U)7.

Comment

It's quite a bit smaller than a 12AX7, also I just compared it tone and volume wise and it has less gain in the same circuit as a known 12AX7.

Comment

Without actually measuring the gain change you will never know what tube it is.
          Back of envelope: If a 12AX7 is 100, then a 12AT7 would be an 80 & a 12AU7 would be a 40.

Comment

Originally posted by norby3 View Post
            I know it's a 12a...7
            It's quite a bit smaller than a 12AX7,
            I don't see how these 2 statements could BOTH be true. How do you know it's 12a?7, can you see that printed on the tube? Aren't all 12A?7 (AX,AT,AU,AY) variants the same size?
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

It's quite a bit smaller than a 12AX7...
              Smaller in what way?
              The photos you posted don't look abnormal.
              The outlines section of the RCA receiving tube manual list the size specifications for the 12A*7 as follows"
              Diameter: 7/8" Max.
              Height from bottom of glass envelop to top of seal nipple: 1 15/16" Max

Interesting that there is no minimum size listed in the spec.

Tom

Comment

kinda looks like "12AU7A USA" (the "U" is a bit difficult to make out)

Comment

Sometimes breathing on the glass will show up the remains of the original print.

If it helps, the guts look very like some Philips-ECG 5814s that I bought a while back: similar to 12AU7s. The grid structure is turned through 90 degrees compared to every other 12A*7 I ever saw.
                  "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

A 12AU7.
                    That would explain the obvious gain drop that was observed.
                    A 12AT7 would not be so dramatic a change.

Comment

Working...
                    X