80's Super Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80's Super Champ

Could someone please tell me if this power transformer could be used in an 80's Fender super champ?
    It needs -C voltage for the bias supply and I'm wondering how to get it.
    If not are there any suggestions?

Transformer - FenderŪ Replacement, Power, 325-0-325 V, 70 mA | CE Distribution LLC
    Attached Files

Originally posted by pontiacpete View Post
    Could someone please tell me if this power transformer could be used in an 80's Fender super champ?
    It needs -C voltage for the bias supply and I'm wondering how to get it.
    If not are there any suggestions?

Transformer - FenderŪ Replacement, Power, 325-0-325 V, 70 mA | CE Distribution LLC
    No that's not it, what you want is the new Fender Superchamp Power transformer that's adaptable to the old style amp.
    Fender Part Number 0074592000
    But also, what made the transformer go bad in the first place?
    Actually, the transformers in those amps always run pretty darn hot, compared to other fenders.
    I installed one and it worked just dandy. I had to tweak the bias circuit a bit...
    You wanna replace the 4 section can capacitor, and the other electrolytics.
    Those caps are old enough to swap out now.

Comment

Thanks SGM for the info. The owner wants it to be used in the US, 120vac. It has the 220v transformer in there now and he would like it changed out.

Comment

BTW where can I get this?

Comment

BTW where can I get this?
          amazon or e bay or antique electronics supply, etc...or if you have a friend who has a fender dealship
          the new tranny does not fit the old bell cover, so inside the amp chassis there is no bell cover anymore.
          I wound up using the bias winding w/ a full wave rectifier.
          I scaled the bias voltage w/ resistors, and it turned out sounding killer. Customer loved it.

Comment

I couldn't anything on ebay or amazon.
            I'll call CE in the morning.
            thanks again!

Comment

I couldn't anything on ebay or amazon.
              I'll call CE in the morning.
              thanks again!
              001911800 is the old part number, which may help sometimes.
              Fender Power Transformer, Super & Vibro Champ XD
              That's the one I used and it worked good.

Well anyhow, replacing the 30 yr old caps may help take some load off the power tranny, and some heat. And that's the point to the full wave bias rectifier. I was able to bias it cooler, without too much crossover distortion. The original half wave voltage was not enough to bias it the way I wanted. And I was using EH tubes, as the customer requested, which may have required a different bias than stock.
              But anyhow, the 'full wave voltage scaling resistor' get up made the output overdrive better. I was dropping more voltage and used bigger values, and it helped the sound for me (subjective). But I think it grinds better, and the customer said it had infinite sustain. which I interpret as a good review(?)
              Last edited by soundguruman; 10-09-2012, 06:25 PM.

Comment

nice. thank you...

Comment

Working...
                X