No announcement yet.

Recommendation for Avira Pro withdrawn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There must be something good about the linux code.
    Did you guys hear this?
    Linus Goes to MicroSuck to Head Win 9?
    Linus Torvalds To Join Microsoft To Head Windows 9 Project
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

That is hilarious BigTeee!! I read that page believing it could almost be true . How could anyone at Microsoftville ever accept losing the patent on the blue screen of death?
      When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
        That is hilarious BigTeee!! I read that page believing it could almost be true . How could anyone at Microsoftville ever accept losing the patent on the blue screen of death?
        That was actually a April fools joke, but funny!
        Here is a link to more of the truth.
        Jesse's Café Américain: Linus Torvald Is NOT Joining Microsoft
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
          I didn't realize that my year subscription for Avira Pro was up on October 12th. I got a Windows dialog box asking me if I wanted to upgrade to their fancier product. I said no and on the 13th I got a Windows dialog box saying that I had no AV protection. Sure enough Avira had uninstalled my expired version of their software without telling me what they had done. (With other AV programs I've bought once your subscription expired you would stop getting updates which are an absolute necessity for an AV program.)

To add insult to injury the way that Avira was uninstalled did not allow me to install the free version or the 30 day trial of the pro version properly and I cannot uninstall the crap that it left on my machine. So I went back to Avast! which had served me well for several years until it got overly aggressive in its scans, deleting files it found questionable without checking with me first.

I would have renewed my paid subscription for Avira if they hadn't screwed me around the way they did- leaving me unprotected for a day and then refusing to install or uninstall properly. I guess I made the wrong choice when I received that Windows dialog box which did not tell me that my subscription was expiring. Every other program I've used with an expiration date would start nagging me to renew well before that date. Avira is a Russian program and while their programming was evidently good (no viruses or trojan horses!) the way that they relate to their customers needs definite improvement.

Steve Ahola

P.S. Had I gone with the FREE version (which was recommended by others here) I'm sure I would have avoided all of that bullshit but that option is no longer available to me on this computer.
          What I forgot to mention- is that Avira - is "the least" preferred of all, it seems. People reported more troubles with that than any other.
          Panda Internet security - actually worked pretty good. BUT it stops all other spam, and floods computer with PANDA SOFTWARE SPAM.
          Which was very irritating.
          I used Panda for many years and then switched to Kaspersky. Kaspersky seems highly professional and I am recommending it to clients. Good results, I'm keeping it.

Comment

Back when I ran windows, I had good luck with SuperAntiSpyware, the free version.
            I never had any issues with it, the couple of years I ran it.
            I would just download the Dat file and run it.
            I'm sure I'll get to hear something wrong with it, but it worked for me.
            T
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
              What I forgot to mention- is that Avira - is "the least" preferred of all, it seems. People reported more troubles with that than any other.
              From the 12/19/13 issue of PC Mag: "If your computer isn't afflicted with malware, or if you've taken care of the infestation using a powerful cleanup tool, it's time to set up a protective perimeter, so no new malware can get in. In my hands-on tests of malware protection, AVG and Avira Free AntiVirus (2014) scored highest, with 9.4 points and 97 percent detection."

Here is the chart from that article...

BTW the star ratings don't add up numerically. Avira had three 5 star ratings, one 4 star rating and one 3 star rating yet the overall rating was 3 stars. I guess it helps your rating if you pay for ads in the magazine...

SGM: different people have different priorities based on how they use their computers. If you are into filesharing you may want a program with a low percentage of false positives while other people might want the most secure protection available. Bottom line is whether you get infected or not and if you do how does your AV software deal with it.

Steve
              The Blue Guitar
              www.blueguitar.org
              Some recordings:
              https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
              X