Capacitor multiplier circuits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitor multiplier circuits

I've recently started thinking about making my own PCBs for the main power supply boards, mainly as I use snap in caps and they dont look so great for turret builds and also because I can make the board much more compact and fairly generic as well as include elevated heaters and multiple bias feeds. Anyway if I'm going to that effort I may as well use a capacitor multiplier for the screen supply and save myself some money and real estate over using a regular RC filter as I'm mainly interested in using higher voltages. I had a look through Merlins power supply book and looked at the cascaded BJT multiplier which allows for up to 700V input and 100mA current draw without the use of a heatsink (looking at a pair of KT88s and 3-4 ecc83s so I should be safe there) and I got a little confused about the voltage rating of the capacitor to be used as it isn't explicitly stated. This is my proposed circuit. Shooting for a plate voltage of around 550V.

Click image for larger version

Name:	psu.png
Views:	1
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	866813

My silly question is do I need to double up C3 and balance it as I've done with the reservoir caps so that they're comfortably rated for the voltage (say 2x22µF, 350V in series) or have I missed a trick and any old cap will do? I suspect I need to double up but its not too clear in the book. If so what would be a sensible choice of resistor to balance the caps?

Any advice gratefully received
    Ian

C3 needs to be rated for the expected maximum voltage it will see. Two 22uF 350V caps in series with equalizing resistors would do the job. I like to use the snap-in caps with eyelets and put the equalizing resistors on the back of the board. The board will have to be removed when the time comes to change the caps.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

On a related note, I was thinking about a future build with some 25W6's I have. Thought of taking a 24V transformer for the heaters and a voltage multiplier to get the supply voltage in the 150V range. Then I realized I could not elevate the heaters. Kind of a disappointment but for some reason I thought to go negative with the multiplier rather than positive. Heaters automatically elevated.

Comment

Zozobra (Ian)
        That schematic doesnt look right to me for a capacitance multiplier. There is'nt enough resistance in series with the 10uf to form a decent filter time constant. I would expect to see something like 47K minimum for those resistors

Look up Elliot Sound Practices description of a capacitance multiplier to see how they work and then tweak the design here:
        http://sound.westhost.com/project15.htm

For the voltage rating I would probably use a single MOSFET rather than stacked bipolar transistors.

Cheers,
        Ian

Comment

Circuit for consideration / discussion

Here is a little circuit I posted to another thread for your consideration. This one is capable of around 500mA and can be scaled down.

With the link in the Time OFF position you have a simulated inductor (sometimes called a gyrator).

With the link in the Time ON position the gyrator action is compromised (reduced) by the 100nF/1uF capacitance divider BUT that 1uF now contributes a lot of capacitance multiplier action

Cheers,
          Ian
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, I'll do a bit more homework on this

Comment

Working...
            X