Peavey Valve King Royal 8 / Orange Tiny Terror head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Valve King Royal 8 / Orange Tiny Terror head

The Peavey Valve King Royal 8: 2 tubes / 5 watt Class A, like the Epi Valve Junior, but with 3 controls: volume, tone and gain. I was checking this out in the local music emporium yesterday, comparing it to the Orange Tiny Terror head, which is switchable between 7 and 15 watts. A peek in the back revealed two preamp tubes and two EL84's.

With both amps, the single knob tone controls work fairly well, rather than going from too bassy to too trebly, with a narrow range of usable tones.

So does anybody here have schematics for either of these amps? It'd be interesting to see how they compare. It might be also be interesting to add some of the circuitry to the Epiphone Valve Jr amp...

BTW the Tiny Terror head is advertised as Class A so I suspect that the 7/15 watt switch might turn off one of the EL84 output tubes if it is using a single-ended pair in parallel.

Steve Ahola
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Steve, there was a thread on the TT at TGP recently, I think someone posted a schematic. It is a pp amp and not SE.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by teleamp View Post
      Steve, there was a thread on the TT at TGP recently, I think someone posted a schematic. It is a pp amp and not SE.

Mike
      Mike and Steve A.,

The schematic was originally posted in a thread on this site:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/s...ge+tiny+terror

You are correct, the TT is push pull.

steve

Comment

Originally posted by steve View Post
        Mike and Steve A.,

The schematic was originally posted in a thread on this site:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/s...ge+tiny+terror

You are correct, the TT is push pull.

steve
        Thank you kindly! I failed to use the search feature here... my bad!

I was looking at the post-PI master volume control, thinking- wow that is different, with no extra caps, but I guess that they can get away with it being cathode biased, so there is no bias voltage going through the dual ganged pot. And the tone control is the familiar AC-30 cut control, only wired up "normally", with fully clockwise being brighter and fully ccw being deeper.

Steve Ahola

P.S. What is the circuit normally used in the Marshall 18 watter? A Marshall model number might be sufficient since I think I have all of the older Marshall schems... I'd like to see how the 18 watter compares to the Tiny Terror.
        The Blue Guitar
        www.blueguitar.org
        Some recordings:

Comment

I'll see if the PV drawing is up on my dealer site after dinner. Right now my bandwidth is limited on my dial up.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It's there, I'll send it to you.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I have a 'dummy" question regarding part of this thread....isn't it possible for an amp to be push-pull and STILL be "class A"?

Comment

Of course.

What they were wondering above was whether the two output tubes they see were p-p or SE in parallel.

SE is obviously class A. p-p can be either class A or something else.

Comment

Originally posted by TD_Madden View Post
                  I have a 'dummy" question regarding part of this thread....isn't it possible for an amp to be push-pull and STILL be "class A"?
                  Enzo already answered your question, but AFAIK the debates are still going on whether the Vox AC-30 is actually "Class A". I guess the amp mfgs just go with the popular definition of Class A... cathode biased, with the tubes hot enough to melt flesh. LOL
                  The Blue Guitar
                  www.blueguitar.org
                  Some recordings:

Comment

Hello!

This is the first time i would like to build a tube amp. It took me time to figure out what típe of amp a would build, than i decided the peavey valvking royal 8 would be perfect to me.

Unfortunately i cant find neither schematis nor layout diagramm of that type of amp.

Actually i do not have much knowledge in ampbuliding, and i would like to ask you if it was possible to help me in this project.
                    Actually what i really need was a schematic diagram with all the important data that i could go with to the store and buy the components.
                    And also a layout diagramm would be important to me to see realistic how the amp is look like inside.

I would be happy if anyone could help.

Here is my email adress also: pintergergely@yahoo.com
                    Kind regard

Kr.

Comment

here you go ...
                      ValveKing_Royal_8.pdf

Comment

Working...
                      X