Single Ended Global Negative Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Ended Global Negative Feedback

Now I have recently built a Jose style preamp with a single ended el84 power amp. The preamp is awesome but I need a little more bass and I would like to add in some neg feedback (depth mod). I was thinking about taking the feedback from the 8ohm tap and return it to the cathode of the el84. Values and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

When there are three or more time constant in the forward path of an amplifier between a negative feedback point and where it's fed back to, there is a solid potential for gain-phase oscillation. A transformer is two time constants all by itself. So using capacitor coupling from output to the cathode is going to be chancy businesss; at least, it may well need some sincere work to keep it stable. Failing that, the forward gain from cathode to output may have to be limited.

This is a constant problem with solid state amplifiers, as each transistor in the forward path contributes a pole (oops, sorry - time constant) at high frequencies because of the device capacitances. Without compensation, all opamps would oscillate. The compensation is severe. Generally, there is a pole down at 1 Hz to 100Hz to cause the gain to decrease below unity before two more poles contribute their phase shift.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Not sure if you have enough gain in the output section into the cathode.

Comment

Originally posted by printer2 View Post
        Not sure if you have enough gain in the output section into the cathode.
        You may just be able to connect the ground side of the EL84 cathode resistor directly to the 8 ohm tap without attenuation. Feedback factor (amount of gain reduction) might only be 6 to 10 dB.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
          You may just be able to connect the ground side of the EL84 cathode resistor directly to the 8 ohm tap without attenuation. Feedback factor (amount of gain reduction) might only be 6 to 10 dB.
          That is interesting. Doubt if you would need more than 6dB.

Comment

Working...
          X