Newbie question about testing coils before assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question about testing coils before assembly

Guys, great forum, I appreciate all the information.

I've wound my first two coils for a humbucker and wanted to do some basic testing with my multimeter before I went through the entire assembly process.

I have one coil that I broke the wire during winding (inrepaired with 28 awg and kept winding) and one that had no break during winding.

When I connect my start wire to black on my multimeter and my finish wire to red, I get nothing for resistence. I've tested pots before with no problem, but I must be doing something way wrong for these pickups. Nether one reads anything.

I'm touching directly to the coil wire. Do the jumpers have to be connected? Is my multimeter screwed up or did I put 5,000 winds of 42 pe and it is completely shorted out?

Did you remove insulation from the magnet wire ends prior to testing? Use a bit of 600 grit sandpaper or gingerly scrape with an exacto or razor blade. If you're sure you're measuring from bare wire on the ends, it's probably an open in the coils. As far as repairing a break mid-wind, you should be able to twist/solder and insulate with nail polish versus a 28 gauge splice. I normally just rip the wire off an start again.

Comment

Make sure you have your meter set on the proper scale.
      You are trying to read between 3-5K DCR.
      Like mentioned if you are using PE, be sure you have the magnet wire sanded, and use a hot soldering iron.
      I recommend starting with SPN wire, it is much easier to work with and solders easily.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

When I get a break I wrap both ends around some 28gauge hookup wire and solder it. Then I take a reading from that splice to my start lead. If I get a reading, I'm good to go. Then I tape over that splice and lay it flat against the coil and continue winding. It's more secure than just twisting the wire, and it's as good as your start and finish connections to the hookup wire, since it's the same thing..

The thing that makes newly would coils not give a reading is a bad solder joint on the start or finish leads... assuming you solder them on already. If you didn't, try that and then tale a reading. It's hard to get a reading from the magnet wire. When I would my first pickups back in the late 70s, I used to fold some aluminum foil over the end of the magnet wire, and then touch the multimeter probe to it. Now I solder my start lead before I start winding, and I use test clips on the meter probes.

I don't sand my insulation. That never works for me. I set my iron at about 650°F and head the joint until the insulation on the hookup wire starts to deform. Then I know I got it hot enough to melt the insulation on the magnet wire.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

use the 20 k setting on the meter for o get a reading
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Alright, thanks fellas. I'm going to take another crack at this tonight after I get the kids to bed.

Comment

Another possibility that has happened to me once with one of my meters is one of the test leads working loose at the meter connection. Looked OK but it wasn't. Drove me crazy until I figured it out. Pushed them back down and all was ok. You might try testing something you know the value of first, like a pot or a resistor.
              On PE I use a folded piece of 400 or 600 sandpaper and gently pull it along the wire about four or five times. With a bright light, you can see the color change. But I don't usually connect the meter leads directly to the magnet wire, for humbuckers instead I go ahead and solder on my intermediate leads (as David also said).
              Last edited by SonnyW; 10-28-2012, 09:34 PM.
              www.sonnywalton.com
              How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Most modern meters have an auto range setting. Thats where I leave mine set.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

If you're using a cheap Harbor freight or a WalMart GE Meter?
                  You have to set like Copper, was saying to the 20k setting.
                  I have a high dollar Fluke in the house that auto adjusts.
                  I have several of the Harbor Freight, and GE Meters in the shop and around, they are great, but manual.
                  T
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Gentlemen......it worked!!! I am very excited. I hooked up the lead wires to the bobbins I broke and had to repair the wire and continue winding. Hooked it up to the meter at it hit at 3.83k which is within the range I was shooting for.

Now on to testing the bobbin that had no breaks. Hopefully it works with no problems.

Thanks for your help. I love the Internet.

Comment

Second one worked as well. Bad news is they are almost identical.....3.83 vs 3.84. I could do that again if I tried. I adjusted the windings Because one had a break, but I did not intend for them to be almost identical.

I'm glad I don't do this for a living.......it's taken me forever!

I guessing I'll get a lot better as I get a few under my belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Atllespaul View Post
                        I'm glad I don't do this for a living.......it's taken me forever!

I guessing I'll get a lot better as I get a few under my belt.
                        Yes, it gets easier, and after a while you don't think about it anymore.

Comment

This Thread could be moved to the Beginners Corner.
                          I have been moving the more advanced questions, from the BC to here.
                          Thanks,
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

Thread moved.

Comment

Working...
                            X