Orange Drop Caps vs. Ceramic Disk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange Drop Caps vs. Ceramic Disk?

I'm going to replace the capacitors in my '66 Vibro Champ. The original caps included two each .01µF and .02µF ceramic disk capacitors. One of the .02µF caps is a coupler to the 6V6GT power tube grid. The other .02µF and the two .01µF are in the tremolo ("vibrato") circuit.

I've read in various places that ceramic disk capacitors are more likely to absorb moisture than other types of capacitors, and therefore don't last as long. They're also not stocked by Antique Electronic Supply (tubesandmore.com), where I like to buy my parts. Is there any problem with just substituting some orange drop (polypropylene) caps for the ceramic disk caps? I can't see why it would matter (as long as they're the same value, the same tolerance, and at least the same voltage rating), but I thought I'd better ask.

Would it be better to use a Mallory 150 for the coupling cap to the power tube, and use the orange drops in the tremolo circuit?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Vito; 10-27-2012, 06:52 PM. Reason: Added question about Mallory 150.
    "No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced." -- Bob Katz

It doesn't matter in all honesty. I typically use Mallory 150 caps, but if I don't have a certain value I don't hesitate to use another type. I've seen many a 40-yr old amp with ceramic caps that are working fine. Some will say different caps sound different, however I consider cap type (just like resistor type), when concerning sound, to be quite low on the totem-pole if tone-contributors. After player, pickups, guitar, strings, amp speaker, preamp circuitry, etc...

Comment

In the tremolo, it doesn't matter, in the signal path, i'm from the ones who think caps can sound pretty differently sometimes (and in some cases VERY differently)
      Usually ceramics can add some grit and distortion, Orange drop 715 sound cleaner and brighter, Mallory150 more heavy on the mids, with a grain.Just general considerations, when differences can be heard, depending on the amp, the place on the circuit, it can make a difference or not at all.
      So my advice will be try them all before the 6V6, you may be surprised...and keep your old ceramic one

Comment

Ceramic disc caps are often replaced by silver-mica types.Some people consider this an upgrade.

SG

Comment

Yep, i love them, but...not in all places.

Comment

[QUOTE=Vito;280456]I've read in various places that ceramic disk capacitors are more likely to absorb moisture than other types of capacitors, and therefore don't last as long. QUOTE]

Hmmph.
            Don't last as long.
            As long as what?
            Lets see: 2012 minus 1965 = 47 years.

Comment

Thanks to lowell, kleuck, and sgelectric. Your answers were helpful.
              "No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced." -- Bob Katz

Comment

I've read in various places
                You mean Books or Internet Forums?
                Not the same thing
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                  You mean Books or Internet Forums?
                  Not the same thing
                  Right. Because there's no misinformation in books...

(Gerald Weber-Dan Torres-Gerald Weber-Dan Torres-Gerald Weber-Dan Torres-Gerald Weber-Dan Torres-Gerald Weber-Dan Torres-Gerald Weber-Dan Torres)
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I rarely have any problems with ceramic caps. They can give you that top end zing with bite that works for some players. Everyone has their own sound..........

Comment

I don't think the type of cap you are going to use in the trem section is going to affect the tone of the amp. The values you go with in the vibro section might be important though... A common mod to a Vibro-Champ would be to run .02, .02, .01 or .02, .02, .02 to slow down the trem depending on your taste. I generally use a Mallory, or Mojo cap in my builds with good results. I think OD's would be ok too though.
                      Last edited by echuta13; 10-29-2012, 02:53 AM.

Comment

I found a box of .068uF, .047uF and .020uF 500v ceramic caps a few years ago.
                        Just for fun... I rebuilt one of my 5E3 amps using all of those....

Yes, there was a difference in tone over the plastic Mallory 150s.
                        Hard to describe but the amp had more of that cheapish, Sears-Montgomery Wards, Valco-Danelctro... smeared tone at higher volumes that was actually a lot of fun to play with... kind of that greasy finger prints on your reading glasses kind of thing... ha ha.
                        Subtly, the clean smooth tone was not quite up to what I'd want but still.... I can see somebody liking it and worth experimenting with if you have them.
                        Go figure.
                        Bruce

Mission Amps
                        Denver, CO. 80022
                        www.missionamps.com
                        303-955-2412

Comment

Right. Because there's no misinformation in books...
                          (Gerald Weber-Dan Torres-Gerald Weber-Dan Torres-Gerald Weber-Dan Torres-Gerald Weber-Dan Torres-Gerald Weber-Dan Torres-Gerald Weber-Dan Torres)
                          You got me on that
                          Although, to be precise, I was referring to "real" Books, not "Guru" babbling transcriptions, printed, bound, and sold as the real stuff.
                          But, of course, I see your point. Probably many swear by them.
                          It's just that I have never wasted a cent or a minute in one of those, so they fly under my radar
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I think this all leads back to the common thread: How does one go about "hearing" the difference between types of capacitors/resistors, when every circuit/amp is different as well. No 2 amps are EXACT regardless of whether they are the "same" circuit and all same component brands/values. Just exact wire length alone will be a bit off, creating slight differences in capacitance between stages right? So one would have to use the SAME amp and a substitution box with capacitor "types" to immediately switch them... so as to avoid a time gap. And then, there's the placebo effect. I don't know... seems hairy. JMO.

Comment

Are you kidding when saying that differences in the wire length can lead to audible capacitance difference and at the same time that different technologies should not ? Come on... I did extensive tests in a single amp, not with a box, so what ? I know my amp by heart, and more important, i did blind tests with my son (he plays guitar, and has the same amp) : his advice has always been the same as mine. Did some tests in a treble booster on my own too.

Comment

Working...
                              X