Wall wart for Adams vibraphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall wart for Adams vibraphone

Trying to see if I can fix this little switching power supply (1.5A, 15 VDC) for a customer. Adams wants $275 for a new one. Looks like the main filter cap solder joint came loose and was arcing. One IC is burnt. The last three characters on the part number appear to be 5D1 or 3D1. Under that it reads "PMVD" Its a small 8 pin dual in line surface mount device. Anybody have an idea what it might be?

Two possibilities, it could be an all-in-one SMPS chip like the Viper or Topswitch series. Or it could be a controller chip like the UC3845, in which case the power MOSFET it's driving is probably toast too.

I'd just buy another 15V, 1.5A wall wart off Ebay or similar, I doubt there is anything special about this one.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
      I'd just buy another 15V, 1.5A wall wart off Ebay or similar, I doubt there is anything special about this one.
      Agreed. I'm assuming it's just for running the motor, right? Anything with those specs and the correct plug/polarity should work fine.

Comment

Not that I agree with their list price, but what made the original power supply nifty (from the manufacturers point of view), was the fact that it could be used on 110 - 220 volt mains voltages.
        Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 10-30-2012, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Sure, but that holds for pretty much any switchmode wall wart you can buy nowadays, they will handle any mains voltage from 90 to 264 without adjustment.
          Buy Desktop Power Supply Power Supply,Desk Top,C8,15V,1.66A,25W Mean Well GS25B15-P1J online from RS for next day delivery.

We use the 12V, 2A version of this one to power our smaller instruments.
          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

thanks. I had a 2A 12V (non-switching) supply that puts out 16 volts unloaded, and attached the 3 pin connector to it. He needed something right away (as always) and couldnt wait for me to order something and splice on the connector, which is a locking three pin type but only two pins are used. It just runs the fans and should work, if not I am sure I will hear about it.

Comment

Polarity

Originally posted by Billy R aka DynaFreak View Post
              I had a 2A 12V (non-switching) supply that puts out 16 volts unloaded, and attached the 3 pin connector to it
              I don't suppose you can remember the pin polarity? I've managed to lose my adapter, and I'm afraid of nuking the motor unit if I hook it up incorrectly!

Comment

Working...
              X