This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

morbe:

I did say "real" programs in quotes so as to not to denigrate the programs available on the Linux platform which can handle many tasks. There are certain programs and plug-ins I like to use for audio recording, for audio editing, for audio restoration and for mastering- at my advanced age (61) I would rather not deal with learning new programs unless absolutely necessary. Not to mention the money invested in these Windows programs.

I don't see how using Linux exclusively is any better than using a dual boot scenario with Windows and Linux. Why even bother with WINE (a Windows emulator) when you can have an authentic Windows install on a different partition? One of Windows big weaknesses is its vulnerability on the internet. So why not keep the Windows partition disconnected which would also eliminate the necessity for a real time antivirus scanner (just make sure that any discs or flash drives you insert are free of viruses.)

Steve Ahola

P.S. FWIW I think that there are too many versions of Linux out there. I think it would be better if several of the software developers collaborated on a single version of Linux, working out the bugs and coming up with more extensive driver support. For diversity there could be a wide assortment of skins available that would run the basic unified Linux code. With a unified version of Linux I think that more software developers would create programs and ports for the platform. Just my own uniformed take on things...
    Last edited by Steve A.; 11-16-2012, 12:09 AM.
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
      morbe:

I did say "real" programs in quotes so as to not to denigrate the programs available on the Linux platform which can handle many tasks. There are certain programs and plug-ins I like to use for audio recording, for audio editing, for audio restoration and for mastering- at my advanced age (61) I would rather not deal with learning new programs unless absolutely necessary. Not to mention the money invested in these Windows programs.

I don't see how using Linux exclusively is any better than using a dual boot scenario with Windows and Linux. Why even bother with WINE (a Windows emulator) when you can have an authentic Windows install on a different partition? One of Windows big weaknesses is its vulnerability on the internet. So why not keep the Windows partition disconnected which would also eliminate the necessity for a real time antivirus scanner (just make sure that any discs or flash drives you insert are free of viruses.)

Steve Ahola

P.S. FWIW I think that there are too many versions of Linux out there. I think it would be better if several of the software developers collaborated on a single version of Linux, working out the bugs and coming up with more extensive driver support. For diversity there could be a wide assortment of skins available that would run the basic unified Linux code. With a unified version of Linux I that that more software developers would create programs and ports for the platform. Just my own uniformed take on things...
      They have come along way with the Linux.
      Used to, it was hard to get all the computer hardware to run on a single version of linux.
      Your sound may not work or a printer may be screwed up.
      Then they would update it, then something else would be broken.
      The Linux mint 13, and 14 runs everything I'm tried so far.
      I put a bunch of my Office Docs on it and the LibreOffice works great.
      It has a similar word, and excel and Powerpoint program.
      It was all preloaded.
      There is tons of different linux software you can load.
      I'm running the mint 14 Beta, and it does daily updates, getting it closer to the official version when it comes out.
      The dual boot thing is ok, but Your usually never on the right OS, when you do it that way.
      It had been 2 weeks since I''ve run windows.
      I booted it up yesterday, and it took over 30 minutes, before I could use it.
      It had to run updates on everything, including the virus scan.
      I fired the linux back up and it runs circles around the windows 7 loaded on the hard drive.
      Looks like for recording, you would want a dedicated windows desktop for that.
      Then use a cheap laptop with a wireless router, to surf the web.
      Just a thought.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        Looks like for recording, you would want a dedicated windows desktop for that.
        I've always used a dedicated computer for recording and my all-purpose Windows machine for editing and mixing (the stuff that doesn't need real time accuracy.)

Thx

Steve
        The Blue Guitar
        www.blueguitar.org
        Some recordings:

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
          I've always used a dedicated computer for recording and my all-purpose Windows machine for editing and mixing (the stuff that doesn't need real time accuracy.)

Thx

Steve
          Sounds like a nice setup.
          We need Pictures!
          On the linux, I meant to comment earlier.
          One of the install options, is to encrypt the /Home folder.
          Each User has a Home folder account.
          So I guess everything in that folder is encrypted, or maybe just the access to the folder is encrypted.
          I haven't tried that option yet, but think I will next time I do an install.
          Does anyone that's running linux use a encrypted home account?
          Any thoughts?
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Mu own journey with Ubuntu

I am certainly not a Linux expert, but find that some distros have matured to the point that it really is a full replacement in an office environment for Windows. I played with early versions years ago but never got into it much. in 2009 and into 2010 my office had grown with a network that had a bizarre mix of Windows versions in 2 languages. The main file server died in 2009, we had it running Windows Server 2003. It was OK but not fast on the hardware it was on. I built up a machine as a new server and tried Linux again. This time Ubuntu Server which was installed as a dumb server, only console control, no graphical interface. I had never done that before but the web was a big help. It not only worked perfectly but in comparison, it screamed. And never went off-line. The software police unannounced visit to check our office computers, they are paid by Microsoft to catch people running unlicensed versions of their products. Here in Russia it is almost impossible to get a legal copy of English Windows so they found a copy of Office on one machine and confiscated all the English Windows machines, even though all but one were legal copies with OEM versions that came with them(since they were bought in the US, I did not know that the license did not extend outside of the US) in the office including my lap top since I could not prove on the spot that I bought it new in the US with a OEM version installed. I had to scramble to replace 8 computers and my laptop just at the beginning of my busiest season. My excellent results with Ubuntu Server 9.04 gave me an opportunity to get all the machines in the office (28) on the same OS at the same upgrade status and keep that way. Over a 3 day holiday, I had access to all the computers and no one a was there to get in the way. I saved personal documents, for each computer to the server, their Outlook PST files were already on the server and wiped all of them clean and installed Ubuntu on 28 desktops with all sorts of hardware but nothing very exotic. I knew the staff who ranged from tech savvy young girls to 55 year old technophobe women, would be shocked by not having windows so I had to learn Open Office quickly so I could answer their questions. That was version 10.04 LTS, and all were set for auto update. There was some grumbling about the different interface but within a couple days, all was normal. The surprising thing was the older workers who were afraid of anything new took to it in stride with no complaints. Two years later I can say that Ubuntu has lowered the cost of computing, greatly increased reliability, made even the oldest machines fly, everyone likes it. Techies grumbled about Unity interface but the girls in the office like it. The user interface is slick, polished and well thought out. Updates keep the machines current and trouble free and the life of the machines have been extended. My laptop is the only Windows/Ubuntu dual boot machine because I have some programs that do not work well in VMWare or Wine. Windows 7 is really pretty good. I particularly like LibreOffice, it just works very well, looks nice and is mature. I have some graphic editing suites like the GIMP but still do most of mine in Adobe Photoshop CS6 on Windows. All my PHP coding is done with a Windows editor as is my web development.
            The best part has been how good Ubuntu handles ALL the hardware drivers with ease, no problems with any device plugged in, including the 6 different model wireless adapters used by the 28 desktops. We finally got the old computers back from the software police even though we did not pay the $25,000 bribe they wanted to get them back. I just sued them and just before it was to go to trial, they brought them back. We did not need then so it was not worth anything to buy them back, all the real data was safe in the server which was backed up by my Ubuntu Cloud dedicated server in NYC out of the country. We have gradually switched most office custom applications to run as services on the Ubuntu Cloud, that way smart phones and tablets can run all the office systems from anywhere. I can process a booking or create tour tickets on my Samsung Galaxy S3 while walking in the park...So, count me on a big fan of Linux on the Desktop.

Comment

The 'Software Police'?
              Give me a break.
              This planet is f*cked up!
              Make a good name for a thrash band though.

Comment

I named the thread Ubuntu.
                I've actually moved on to Linux Mint 14.
                It is IMO a wonderful OS, and has a great user friendly desktop.
                I have my desktop configured, very similar to XP.
                Mint 14 loads easily, and everything works.
                Very fast, comes with a nice office suite.
                It doesn't have all the aggrevations associated with Microsoft Windows.
                Give it a try. I run the Mate desktop version.
                Did I mention, It's Free!
                Main Page - Linux Mint
                T
                Terry

Comment

Russia established an "economic crimes unit just for software piracy because it was demanded by the US(Microsoft) before Russia was allowed to join the WTO. Each member country gets to demand conditions and concessions.
                  So pirated software carry some big penalties, particularly for a business, that can be shut down while an investigation is conducted, even if nothing is found. The only thing they are required to look for is Microsoft software. Kiosks in every underground pedestrian crossing used sell CDs and DVDs full of compilations of software for 50 Rubles, (about $1.50) on a theme such as graphics, or C++ and 50 programs or more. All that was confiscated over a weekend when the order came from WTO to stop piracy before the final ratification meeting. By that time however, sales were weak since everyone had all they wanted. Then came bit torrent...... I doubt many people are using pirated Windows OS here because now it comes free on every laptop and desktop. I am happy with all my machines are Linux except my i7 laptop has Ubuntu in serveral versions plus Windows 7.
                  I've tried different flavors but keep coming back to Ubuntu. Adding up the 28 desktops, 1 server, my home office 2 machines, plus 3 laptops all running one version of an OS updated automatically, it sure is easier to keep everything working.

Comment

Originally posted by km6xz View Post
                    Russia established an "economic crimes unit just for software piracy because it was demanded by the US(Microsoft) before Russia was allowed to join the WTO. Each member country gets to demand conditions and concessions.
                    Evidently that rule was not required for China to gain Most Favored Nation status as they are the king of bootlegs... The Ukraine finally cracked down on Demonoid last June under pressure from the US.
                    The Blue Guitar
                    www.blueguitar.org
                    Some recordings:

Comment

Like a Drunk making AA meetings!
                      I can declare that I am Windoz Free!
                      I've gone 3 Months without a single Windows Event.
                      No XP, No Win7!
                      Free, Free at Last!
                      B_T
                      Terry

Comment

All of the Linux distros out there are basically "skins". They all share the same Linux kernel and drivers. There are two rival package managers, and a whole zoo of window managers. Worst of all, so far Linux has had three sound systems, and as far as I know none of them has been good enough to run a DAW.

The Chinese might be kings of pirate software consumption, but the Russians are excellent hackers and much better at producing it. That may have something to do with the WTO crackdown.

My opinion is that free software is now so good that it's hardly worth stealing the paid stuff.
                        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

There are 4+ package mangagers.
                          Debian, Ubuntu based use apt-get.
                          Fedora, Redhat, use yum, & OpenSuse runs Zypper.
                          Slackware, which I don't use often has a 4th, and think there is another or 2.
                          Just reloaded my Wifes old Compaq Presario last week with Mint 14, 32bit.
                          It had an ailing copy of XP on it, and the wireless was very slow.
                          I made her Mate Desktop, look a lot like XP.
                          It is now running about 2-3 times as fast, and the wireless is working great.
                          She Loves it. Said it was much easier to run than the Windows.
                          I currently run 2 different versions on my PCs, Mint, and OpenSuse.
                          If you like Gnome, and I do for Websurfing, I like the OpenSuse the best.
                          It uses the Zypper Package commands, and is very fast.
                          http://software.opensuse.org/developer/en
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

Here's a pretty good cheat sheet that shows the different Package Management commands for different Linux Distros.
                            These are commands from Terminal Command line.
                            DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
                            It's really not as complicated as it appears.
                            If I can do it, most anyone can!
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

I downloaded "Caixa Magica", another fine version of Ubuntu.
                              It is a full featured OS, like Ubuntu, and Linux Mint, but uses the 3.6 Gnome Desktop.
                              It comes with LibreOffice, compatible with MS Office.
                              If you like Gnome for a desktop, I recommend this one.
                              It uses the same Debian based Software update commands. (APT-GET)
                              So anything that can be downloaded and installed to Ubuntu, can also be installed on "Caixa Magica".
                              Distribution Release: Linux Caixa Mágica 19 (DistroWatch.com News)
                              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                                My opinion is that free software is now so good that it's hardly worth stealing the paid stuff.
                                I agree completely. For web, email, CD burning and office applications the linux platform has been mature for a long time. I've been Windows-free since some time in the late 1990s, can't remember exactly when. My only Windependence exception is that I have kept an obsolete Win98 box around just so I can run TurboTax once a year. I considered it a major asspain when TurboTax stopped supporting Win98 a few years ago and made me upgrade to XP -- just so I could run ONE program.

The audio system is still a major achilles heel for Linux systems. Just as soon as they get it fixed, they change something and break it all over again.
                                "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Working...
                                X