This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UBUNTU 16.04 LTS Released

Ubuntu releases its 16.04LTS (long term support) family of desktop operating systems.
    They are:
    Ubuntu-Unity
    Ubuntu-KDE
    Ubuntu-Gnome
    Ubuntu-Mate
    Ubuntu-XFCE
    Ubuntu-Studio
    Ubuntu-LXDE
    Ubuntu-Education
    Ubuntu-Server
    Ubuntu-Kylin (Chinese Release)
    Ubuntu-Mythbuntu
    There is a ubuntu for nearly everyone.
    16.04LTS will be supported for 5 years, and it is FREE!
    The leading OS for PC, tablet, phone and cloud | Ubuntu
    I run a hybrid Load, which I really like.
    I load Ubuntu Mate, then I add the XFCE Desktop.
    That makes it where you can log in with the Mate desktop, or with the XFCE desktop.
    By doing that, I get my XFCE desktop I like so much, with all the bells and whistles of the Mate OS Distro.
    T
    Last edited by big_teee; 04-24-2016, 05:08 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

• Yes, these LTS versions are the best solution for business application because they have full support for such a long time. Businesses don't like to experiment with minor changes in OS or front end. Most home Linux users try new versions as soon as they are available. They are so easy to download and install hobbyists and home users load lots of versions. Compared to the old days there are enough standards in hardware interfaces that all of the versions work with a wide variety of hardware vintages. Although you can run multiple OS if you have the memory you can use VMware that creates virtual machines running under Linux so you can load in different OS running at the same time. Really slick. That way you could be running a native secure Linux for your web surfing and Windows in virtual machines so you can copy data from one to another OS. yet keep the less secure Windows OS invisible to the web, but still use data collected and pasted from it into the Windows running in a Virtual Machine.

Comment

• I tried the VM, and I prefer just linux in multi-boot scenario.
        I always have at least 2 bootable linux distros in grub.
        If you have a problem with one distro, just boot to the other to make your repairs. EZ-PZ.
        I've had as many as 7 bootable distros, but it is time consuming to keep them all updated.
        Now I either load 2 or 3.
        No Windoz here, I'll leave that to the rest of the group.
        Here's a screenshot of my 16.04 Mate/XFCE Load.
        The small toolbar on the left is set to auto hide.
        I have it visible for the picture.
        T
        Attached Files
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

• With this very active thread being almost 3 1/2 years I decided to make it a sticky to go along with the new stickies for other OS's... although it has never been far from the top of the thread list.

I still have not made the plunge into Linux myself... yes, I am chicken!

Steve Ahola
          The Blue Guitar
          www.blueguitar.org
          Some recordings:
          https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
            With this very active thread being almost 3 1/2 years I decided to make it a sticky to go along with the new stickies for other OS's... although it has never been far from the top of the thread list.

I still have not made the plunge into Linux myself... yes, I am chicken!

Steve Ahola
            Click image for larger version

Name:	chicken-dance-emoticons.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	841756

Chic, Chic, Chic, Chic, Chicken!
            Last edited by big_teee; 04-25-2016, 07:23 PM.
            Terry

Comment

• This looks like a promising way to dip your feet in Linux. Here are two listings from one seller in MD who refurbishes off-lease computers which come with Linux Mint installed. The first one (small frame factor) sells for $45 w/ free shipping, the other one (a more powerful horizontal desktop unit) sells for the same price but has a $24.21 shipping charge.

The seller has had almost 15k sales with 99.8% positive feedback. I have no vested interested in these listing but am thinking of buying one (or both to get 6 months same as cash from PayPal Credit for purchases over $99.)

BTW there are many reputable sellers of refurbished off-lease computers which I have found to be a better deal than buying new, assuming you don't mind buying older models (the Lenovo M58 series was first sold in 2009.)

Lenovo ThinkCentre M58p SFF PC C2D E8400 3GHz 2GB 80GB Linux Mint - DVDRW (10+ units available) $45 w/ free shipping

“Off lease unit. Original hard drive was destroyed. We've installed a 80GB with Linux Mint on it.”

Lenovo ThinkCentre M58p SFF PC C2D E8400 3GHz 2GB 80GB Linux Mint DVDRW | eBay

%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%

Lenovo ThinkCentre M58p Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz 4GB RAM 160GB HDD Linux Mint (7 units available) $44.99 + $24.21 s/h

“PCs are in great condition. Some may show minor scratching from previous use. One PC has a broken retaining clip on the PCIe slot. Original hard drives were destroyed and replaced with 160GB HDDs with Linux Mint pre-installed. Sale is for PC only. Tested for full functions, R2/Ready for reuse.”

Lenovo ThinkCentre M58p Core 2 Duo E8400 3 00GHz 4GB RAM 160GB HDD Linux Mint | eBay

Steve Ahola

P.S. Seller has many other refurbished off-lease computers for sale. I listed this one because of the reviews. The desktop version has a lot more expansion options and 4GB RAM. I believe that for either version you could replace the optical drive with a hard drive and when actually needed use an external USB drive. They both come with eSATA ports but in the SFF version the port is internal with no means of egress unless you want to drill and/or nibble a hole.

Lenovo ThinkCentre M58p Eco Ultra Small Review & Rating | PCMag.com
              The Blue Guitar
              www.blueguitar.org
              Some recordings:

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]38811[/ATTACH]

Chic, Chic, Chic, Chic, Chicken!
                Funny that I hadn't read your reply when I composed Post #111 suggesting the refurbished off-lease computers with Linux Mint pre-installed. Ah, buck buck!

BTW it was installing Linux on a working Windows box that scared me, not learning a new OS.

Steve
                The Blue Guitar
                www.blueguitar.org
                Some recordings:

Comment

• The Refurbs sound like a great idea.
                  Linux is a little intimidating at first.
                  Steve, I bet you would have no problems.

I've been on Linux so long now, Windows sounds intimidating.
                  It's all what you get used to.
                  Sorry about the chicken, I couldn't resist!
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

• Ubuntu 16.04 Long Term Release, seems to be about the most stable version yet.
                    I like it!
                    You can access any of the Ubuntu family here.
                    Index of /
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

• The first maintenance release of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is out.
                      It is 16.04.01, with new drivers, and all the updates, preinstalled.
                      Distribution Release: Ubuntu 16.04.1 (DistroWatch.com News)
                      I used to run Mint, which is repackaged Ubuntu.
                      Now I only run Ubuntu.
                      IMO Mint got too big, and too Bloated.
                      I either run Xubuntu, or Ubuntu Mate, with the XFCE4 desktop installed.
                      It is very stable and very fast.
                      And, again I'll tell you, It's Free!
                      What's not to like?
                      YMMV,
                      T
                      Last edited by big_teee; 07-23-2016, 04:42 PM.
                      Terry

Comment

• I noticed the same thing with Mint. It is a slick polished package but has grown so it needs more resources. I need to set up another simple reliable office machine and the only stumbling block is no good multifunction printer/scanner drivers for my Panasonic printer/copier/scanner. Printer drivers are fine but not for integrating the scan functions which I need. All other hardware, on all my installs have been painless and automatic on Ubuntu. Heck I even like the Unity interface. It still surprises me every time a new version or new computer it tossed together with sometimes obscure hardware, the install finds drivers for everything. Windows 10 was pretty good for that finally, about 8 years behind Ubuntu.

Comment

• I use the Ubuntu basic document scanner all the time.
                          As far as printer drivers, I use the resident drivers, and I use the printer and scanner wifi.
                          See Picture.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by big_teee; 07-23-2016, 06:30 PM.
                          Terry

Comment

• Ubuntu, keeps upgrading, and is keeping up with hardware, and programs.
                            I run Ubuntu Mate. This one.
                            http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=09589
                            It's easy to load, runs fast, it's FREE, plus, I always forget to mention, it's Linux, & it's fun!
                            Check it out!
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

• When a new ubuntu distro is added to a computer, you start with a welcome page.
                              On the welcome page is a feature tab.
                              I usually just delete the welcome page and keep going.
                              This time I read the feature tab, and read this screenshot.
                              Found it interesting, and you might as well, it is about linux security.
                              Attached Files
                              Terry

Comment

• Ubuntu 17.04 desktop came out today.
                                17.04 is year and month of issue.
                                Here are a few screenshots of my new load I installed this morning.
                                Still getting all my personal prefs set.
                                So far Ubuntu 17.04 seems to be rock solid!
                                Ubuntu is Free.
                                It being free, allows me to run the newest, latest software, with all available security updates, at no expense.
                                Give it a try!
                                Index of /

T
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by big_teee; 04-13-2017, 02:06 PM.
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X