This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
    Yup Terry I finally did my install on a laptop with Linux Mint 15. Well I first thought to go with Mint 14 as it might have more solutions to any problems with hardware. So, I installed and found that Ndiswrapper has a big issue on that version at installation. So I did a bunch of command line problem solving uninstalled Ndiswrapper and reinstalled the latest version. Lots of fun Anyhow Ndiswrapper is a wrapper program to allow the OS to use proprietary hardware. In my case it was an intel wireless card built into the laptop. So, I kept at it but just could not get Ndiswrapper to work. So, I tried just Ubuntu and quickly ran away from that system as fast as I installed it! lol... I thought about and made a install disk for Mint 12 as I had reports from others that Ndiswrapper was working great on that version. I ended up not installing Mint 12...

Long story short... Too Late! I ended up just installing Mint 15 and Viola!!! It recognized my wireless card perfectly! So, to all that want to work with Linux or anyone who wants a developers type workstation, then this IS the way to go. Thank you Terry for being the one that turned me on to it!
    ~Jer
    Glad it worked out/
    I was running Mint on flash cards.
    I recently put Mint 15 on the whole hard drive.
    It works great for my web surfing, and my picture handling I do.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I kind of vent the other direction, seems most of us vent from Windows to Linux.

I used different distributions of Linux since the nineties (tried Window XP for a month or so but hated every minute of it). A couple of years ago I got a new laptop that had win7 pre-installed. As win7 was more or less a visual rip-off of KDE3 (yes I'm a KDE man) it didn't feel all that awkward. I decided not to make a clean re-installation but rather keep the win7 boot along with openSUSE at the time.

Nowadays I use win7 for Cubase, Star Craft 2 and occasionally other games. Windows is however not much to cheer about if you're a programmer. For that I need something more mature, like Linux.

Now a question, is there any nice Cubase like soft-ware(s) I should try?
      In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Terry,
        Thanks to your thread, reading about your distro trials I am enjoying Mint 15 with Mate desktop 32bit on my shop PC. Installed last night. I really needed something to view pdf schematics on with some leftover hardware I had on hand. I'm also planning on using it for a parts database and multimedia for the shop. I guess I'll find lots of uses here including the big one: networking with a couple of my Win7 boxes, which Mint 15 does very well, although some arcane changes have to be made to those Windoze network settings. Long ago, I had to spend many hours just getting the 3 W7 boxes to share files...it was rediculous.

Not exactly new to Linux. I ran Redhat, Mandrake and several others back in the 90's when you had to buy them in a store. I favored KDE over GNOME back then, so using Mint is pretty easy. I tried Kubuntu, and it was fine, but it had problems networking to the Windows network.

So far, Mint 15 is good, but I'd like a better pdf reader. Got any ideas?

Comment

if you don't like ocular then just emerge acrobat.
          "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

I didn't have Acrobat either.
            So I just did a search on the Mint Repository, and found it.
            Here is the message to install it from command line in Terminal.
            sudo apt-get install acroread
            Sit back and relax, because it takes a while to install.
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Ubuntu issued the new 13.10 Release recently, called the Saucy Salamander.
              I downloaded and tested the Kubuntu version with KDE.
              It runs really fast, and everything seems to work well.
              KDE Desktop has some similarity to the Windoze XP desktop.
              They have fixed some of the things I didn't care for on KDE.
              It is running the 3.9 kernel and has the latest 4.1.2.3 issue of LibreOffice.
              It has very good screen resolution on my Hardware.
              I still prefer Linux Mint 15 w/Mate Desktop, but Kubuntu is a fine Distribution.
              You may want to give it a try?
              http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=08114
              Good Luck,
              T
              Terry

Comment

I found a great Calculator with Memory functions.
                It seems to be hard to find a calculator for Linux that has the memory function keys.
                It also has all the regular and scientific modes.
                It is called Galculator.
                galculator - a GTK 2 / GTK 3 algebraic and RPN calculator
                If you are running a ubuntu, mint, or debian based system?
                It can be installed from terminal with this command.
                sudo apt-get install galculator
                Last edited by big_teee; 10-23-2013, 05:10 AM.
                Terry

Comment

Version 13.04 is the most stable Linux I have ever used.
                  [url]http://ny.pe[/url]

Comment

Ubuntu

I've installed Ubuntu 12.xx the LTS version. I just got to the point where I couldn't live with XP- even though it was somewhat stable.

Unfortunately in the experimental phase I installed it on a Flash Drive and haven't quite figured out how to move the installation to the hard drive without losing the programs installed. I've recently downloaded a program called remastersys which should allow me to do that- When I sit down for a day or two and figure out how to wipe the existing incorrectly partitioned and formatted HDA and then move the system over. I will keep the flash drive and occasionally update it when I get to that point.

My challenge with Ubuntu is first of all there seems to be some sort of unspoken understanding in the Linux forums that: all discussions must be highly intellectualized, sort of clickish.. The real problem is, in addition to all the other technical learning curves I've got going I now have to study an operating system in order to solve routine problems common to a novice user. For instance, I recently copied files from the Flash Drive to the HDA as a quick back up procedure. Strangely enough, some of the .pdf's won't open now as I do not seem to have the rights. The problem may lie in the format used to prep the drive?? I can't open the file on the HDA but if I copy it back to the Flash it opens with no problems.

I'm also having problems getting Audacity to find the USB mixer so I can record one of my Big Hit Tunes for y'all..

Not soliciting assistance here as that would change the course of the thread.

Silverfox.

Comment

Originally posted by silverfox View Post
                      I've installed Ubuntu 12.xx the LTS version. I just got to the point where I couldn't live with XP- even though it was somewhat stable.

Unfortunately in the experimental phase I installed it on a Flash Drive and haven't quite figured out how to move the installation to the hard drive without losing the programs installed. I've recently downloaded a program called remastersys which should allow me to do that- When I sit down for a day or two and figure out how to wipe the existing incorrectly partitioned and formatted HDA and then move the system over. I will keep the flash drive and occasionally update it when I get to that point.

My challenge with Ubuntu is first of all there seems to be some sort of unspoken understanding in the Linux forums that: all discussions must be highly intellectualized, sort of clickish.. The real problem is, in addition to all the other technical learning curves I've got going I now have to study an operating system in order to solve routine problems common to a novice user. For instance, I recently copied files from the Flash Drive to the HDA as a quick back up procedure. Strangely enough, some of the .pdf's won't open now as I do not seem to have the rights. The problem may lie in the format used to prep the drive?? I can't open the file on the HDA but if I copy it back to the Flash it opens with no problems.

I'm also having problems getting Audacity to find the USB mixer so I can record one of my Big Hit Tunes for y'all..

Not soliciting assistance here as that would change the course of the thread.

Silverfox.
                      You're running older versions of ubuntu.
                      Try loading a newer version.
                      There are lots of good ubuntu versions out there, but stick to a current version.
                      Ubuntu is up to 13.10, or try Mint 16, it is another good Ubuntu derivative.
                      On the files you can't open, is because you don't have permissions to open them.
                      From Route user change the owner to your user account.
                      Or you can make your account an administrator account, which would give you the permission to open the files.
                      T
                      Last edited by big_teee; 01-18-2014, 05:49 AM.
                      Terry

Comment

I just purchased a new 500gb laptop drive from Newegg.
                        I also purchased a 2.5" SATA Hard drive enclosure.
                        I formatted 3 partitions, and loaded the new Mint 16 (Called Petra) on the first partition of the new drive.
                        I put my old drive in the enclosure and downloaded all the backup files from the old HD.
                        It all works slick, no surprises, and a very painless quick load.
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

On my new hard drive with 3 partitions, I had already loaded mint 16 on Partition 1, and a large storage partition for files and music on partition 3, a few weeks ago.
                          I just put Kubuntu on partition 2 and now I can dual boot to either Mint 16, or Ubuntu KDE 14.04.
                          The Kubuntu with KDE is a bit harder to setup and customize, but is a good system once you get it like you want.
                          If I get tired of running one version of Linux, I boot to the other one.
                          DistroWatch.com: Kubuntu
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

I Would Like to voluteer my Intermediate Linux level Services to anyone wanting to load Linux.
                            There are quite a few other Linux users here, that I'm sure would also offer help.
                            So, If you have any Linux questions, ask away.
                            I think most people will be surprised how easy Modern Linux is, and how easy it is to load, and run!
                            T
                            www.distrowatch.com
                            Terry

Comment

Here's a link to the Ubuntu Group's Daily loads.
                              The Ubuntu group is woking on their new software constantly.
                              They produce daily loads for each of the five Linux desktop Distros they are currently working on.
                              These will have the latest updates, and changes, and the latest Kernel.
                              The Computer drivers are in the Kernel, so If you have a new computer, you may need a current Kernel to support it.
                              Of the 5 daily loads, my pick is Xubuntu, it is a no nonsense basic linux, with a traditional looking desktop.
                              Index of /
                              Terry

Comment

The Ubuntu Group has just announced the Official Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
                                The Beta trials for 14.04 are over and It was made Official on Friday 4-18-14.
                                This Issue will have Long term support for 5 years.
                                This includes Ubuntu, Edubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Gubuntu, and Xubuntu.
                                The one that looks interesting for musicians is the Ubuntu Studio.
                                It has lots of music applications, and comes with the Fine Xfce Desktop.
                                Distribution Release: Ubuntu Studio 14.04 (DistroWatch.com News)
                                T
                                **Linux is less vulnerable to Virus, and Malware attacks.
                                Linux is kept current with daily updates, and Constant new evolving issues.
                                Most Linux comes with free Office Suite Software compatible with MS Office file types.
                                There are countless available software programs that are free downloads.
                                Last but not Least, Linux is FREE!
                                Last edited by big_teee; 04-19-2014, 05:53 PM.
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X