This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by km6xz View Post
    From my own experience, what amazed me is how many bizarre hardware configs ran upon first install of Ubuntu or Mint going back to 8.04 Ubuntu, my first real install. Scanners, printers, wireless cards, ,USB modems, tablets, cameras, sound cards, network cards all worked. Sure has been easier than installing drivers in Windows.
    As much as I dislike Windows 7 and 8.1 I have to admit that they are pretty good at finding and installing drivers- much better than the earlier incarnations. Glad to hear that the Linux world has the driver issue in hand (I think it used to be one of the early drawbacks going back ~10 years.)

Steve
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Ubuntu announced a new Desktop, Mate.
      Mate was previously found on Mint.
      Because of Mates popularity in Mint, I guess Ubuntu wanted to use it too.
      Check it out.
      Distribution Release: Ubuntu MATE 15.04 (DistroWatch.com News)
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Thanks, good to know, will test drive it via Virtualbox.
        BTW, there are a couple of good podcasts that cover, Linux, Mint , Ubuntu etc. that will no doubt do comprehensive reviews on 15.04 and Mate.
        mintCast | The podcast by the Linux Mint community for all users of Linux
        Linux Luddites | Not all change is progress

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        Ubuntu announced a new Desktop, Mate.
        Mate was previously found on Mint.
        Because of Mates popularity in Mint, I guess Ubuntu wanted to use it too.
        Check it out.
        Distribution Release: Ubuntu MATE 15.04 (DistroWatch.com News)

Comment

That is interesting, I am downloading now. I don't keep up with changes, just use Ubuntu on the office computers and it just works, all the time. Getting two new computers today(new to me, surplus from a government owned business that is required to update computers on a 2 year cycle) and will try it.
          I only hear about new versions when one version I am using goes EOL or Big_Tee announces it on this thread;>) I'll let him test drive the distros.....I have gotten a whole office to be happy with Unity so not sure if I should stir up the bee hive. I don't even mind Unity, so used to it and it does have a simple uncluttered interface.

Comment

Originally posted by km6xz View Post
            That is interesting, I am downloading now. I don't keep up with changes, just use Ubuntu on the office computers and it just works, all the time. Getting two new computers today(new to me, surplus from a government owned business that is required to update computers on a 2 year cycle) and will try it.
            I only hear about new versions when one version I am using goes EOL or Big_Tee announces it on this thread;>) I'll let him test drive the distros.....I have gotten a whole office to be happy with Unity so not sure if I should stir up the bee hive. I don't even mind Unity, so used to it and it does have a simple uncluttered interface.
            My absolute Favorite Distro is Mint XFCE.
            It is so simple and so user friendly.
            You might want to give it a yank!
            I get it here.
            LinuxMint.de - Aktuellste und archivierte Versionen der bekannten Linux Distribution
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Haven't looked at this thread in a while...The only time I use Ubuntu was an older version from about 5 or 6 years ago, pretty good but a bit sluggish on the machine I was using, one of my mix and match machines from used parts. The only driver issue I ever had was with nVidia video cards, I had to manually install their driver.

Right now I'm looking into installing Puppy on a USB drive, just got a 64GB USB drive and considering setting it up with about a 4 or 8GB partition for Linux, the rest for Windows accessible storage. I've already tried it on CD, works well.
              Why do I drive way out here to view the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

My Photography - http://billy-griffis-jr.artistwebsites.com/

Comment

I tried Puppy and I couldn't get it to run with newer Laptop computers with efi, and secure boot bios.
                Have better luck on new machines with all the mints, Ubuntu's, Fedora, OpenSuse, Porteus, Mageia, Open Mandriva, and a few more.
                I ran Mint Mate on a 16gb USB drive for a couple of years.
                Worked great, but I do like a dedicated hard drive better.
                GL, with the Puppy on the 64GB.
                T
                Terry

Comment

Hi:
                  I downloaded Voyager X8 Linux with efi support.
                  I ran it in live in Virtual Machine, on my mint OS.
                  It has a fresh look and uses the XFCE desktop, which is the desktop I normally use.
                  It is running a version of debian, which is the parent OS of Ubuntu, and mint.
                  It really ran good, and I think I want to try it live loaded on a USB stick next.
                  If you want to give it a try you can get it here.
                  Distribution Release: Voyager Live X8 (DistroWatch.com News)
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by big_teee; 06-14-2015, 04:55 PM.
                  Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                    Hi:
                    I downloaded Voyager X8 Linux with efi support.
                    I ran it in live in Virtual Machine, on my mint OS.
                    It has a fresh look and uses the XFCE desktop, which is the desktop I normally use.
                    It is running a version of debian, which is the parent OS of Ubuntu, and mint.
                    It really ran good, and I think I want to try it live loaded on a USB stick next.
                    If you want to give it a try you can get it here.
                    Distribution Release: Voyager Live X8 (DistroWatch.com News)
                    I loaded it on a USB Stick, and it ran great, so I loaded it on My Toshiba that has a GPT Hard drive setup with 6 bootable linux partitions.
                    X8 is a very fast and fully packed system with lots of features, including pre installed AV, and Libre Office Suite.
                    It is using XFCE with 3 start button panels, that all use auto hide.
                    So the main panel 1, is at the top, the panel 2 is at the bottom, full of applications, and there is a panel 3 on the right side that has utilities.
                    When you open IceWeasel(Debians version of Firefox), the three panels auto hide leaving the whole screen for the browser.
                    Run your cursor up, down and to the right, and the panels appear.
                    A very slick system, but takes a bit of getting used to all the apps, and difference appearance.
                    So far, I would rate it a good solid B+.
                    T
                    Last edited by big_teee; 06-17-2015, 06:13 PM.
                    Terry

Comment

• Want your ubuntu to run faster?
                      You may want to try and load a Low Latency kernel.
                      This applies to all the Ubuntu, and Mint Distros.
                      Kernels come in different types.
                      Regular generic kernels
                      Low Latency kernels
                      RT Kernels (half way between Low Latency and Real time)
                      Real Time Kernels (Used by the Government)
                      Ubuntu keeps the regular generic, and the Low latency kernels available on the repositories.
                      ** DISCLAIMER, LOAD NEW KERNELS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
                      This is for Intermediate to advanced Linux Users.
                      To see what kernel your machine is running on, do this command from command line.
                      terry-Lenovo-IdeaPad-N586 terry # uname -r
                      3.19.0-21-lowlatency
                      terry-Lenovo-IdeaPad-N586 terry # uname -m
                      x86_64
                      The above commands shows I'm running kernel 3.19.0-21-lowlatency, and my processor is a x86_64.
                      If I was on the regular kernel, I could install the low latentcy kernel with this command.

terry-Lenovo-IdeaPad-N586 terry # apt-get install linux-image-3.19.0-21-lowlatency
                      Reading package lists... Done
                      Building dependency tree
                      Reading state information... Done
                      linux-image-3.19.0-21-lowlatency is already the newest version.
                      0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

It was already installed, so it didn't do it again.
                      If it wasn't already installed, it would have done so.
                      The Low latency kernel is faster for streaming, web surfing, gaming, etc.
                      T
                      Last edited by big_teee; 06-30-2015, 05:49 PM.
                      Terry

Comment

• yes Ubuntu is free to use licence so anybody can use it as compared to window , i used Ubuntu 3 years ago

Comment

• All computers hard drive seem to grow, and get clogged up with backup files, etc.
                          Linux is not as bad as some other OS's do, but they still grow some.
                          Here is a neat cleanup utility to offset that.
                          Clean Your System and Free Disk Space | BleachBit
                          Easily installed with command line.
                          # apt-get install bleachbit
                          T
                          Last edited by big_teee; 10-20-2015, 12:08 AM.
                          Terry

Comment

• Hey, All You Linux Lovers out there!
                            Ubuntu 15.10 Official is released today(10-22-15).
                            It's offcial Title is 15.10 Wily Werewolf.
                            Ubuntu has two new distos per year, the issue #15.10 is based on year and month.
                            The next issue next year will be 16.04.
                            All flavors of Ubuntu should be released today.
                            You can find them all here.
                            Index of /
                            One of my favorites is Ubuntu Studio, and it comes loaded with lots of Audio, and studio software, with the XFCE desktop.
                            Ubuntu-Unity
                            Ubuntu-Gnome
                            Ubuntu-Mate
                            Kubuntu-KDE
                            Lubuntu-LXDE
                            Ubuntu-Studio- XFCE
                            Xubuntu-XFCE
                            Ubuntukylin-Official Chinese Version
                            Last edited by big_teee; 10-22-2015, 02:53 PM.
                            Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                              Hey, All You Linux Lovers out there!
                              Ubuntu 15.10 Official is released today(10-22-15).
                              It's offcial Title is 15.10 Wily Werewolf.
                              Ubuntu has two new distos per year, the issue #15.10 is based on year and month.
                              The next issue next year will be 16.04.
                              All flavors of Ubuntu should be released today.
                              You can find them all here.
                              Index of /
                              One of my favorites is Ubuntu Studio, and it comes loaded with lots of Audio, and studio software, with the XFCE desktop.
                              Ubuntu-Unity
                              Ubuntu-Gnome
                              Ubuntu-Mate
                              Kubuntu-KDE
                              Lubuntu-LXDE
                              Ubuntu-Studio- XFCE
                              Xubuntu-XFCE
                              Ubuntukylin-Official Chinese Version
                              I've recently switched my computers, from Mint, to the 15.10 Xubuntu version of Ubuntu.
                              It has the new 4.2.0-18 kernel, the new Libreoffice 5 office suite.
                              This version flies on my two everyday laptops.
                              Distribution Release: Xubuntu 15.10 (DistroWatch.com News)
                              Give it a whirl!
                              T
                              T
                              Last edited by big_teee; 11-25-2015, 03:25 PM.
                              Terry

Comment

• I have two multi-boot laptops.
                                One has 5 linux Distros, and the other 4 distros, no Windoz.
                                This allows me to run, and test different linux OS systems.
                                I primarily run Debian Derivatives.
                                Which include Ubuntu and mint.
                                apt-get package manager commands work on all Debian type loads.
                                A new one I've tried which is a stable Debian distro called, AntiX MX-15.
                                It is based on Debian Jessie 8.
                                It has the newer 4.2 kernel, with the XFCE desktop.
                                I like it, it's very fast, more stripped down, and not as bloated as Mint, & Ubuntu.
                                It is a little harder to install, and I recommend it for intermediate, and advanced linux users.
                                Because the installer is a bit more involved to install the OS.
                                DistroWatch.com: antiX
                                I like the AntiX MX-15 Very Much!
                                Check it out.
                                T
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by big_teee; 01-05-2016, 07:19 AM.
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X