Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't remember what version I have on those. I started using mint when MS stopped supporting win xp. I really like it. When I got a new laptop a few years ago (the one I'm using right now)it came with win 10. It was so klunky and doing unexpected stuff, that I switched it to mint. It works great ALL THE TIME! I am hoping to get some use out one of the old laptops in my little home workshop area when I need to look something up..
    Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

• I've been using Mint for a few years now but there are still a few things I did with XP that don't work as well in Linux. Maybe someone here has a solution

1 A good PDF creator. I used Image2PDF in XP, Can't get it working with Wine. It creates a PDF from a set if image files like gif,jpg,png etc. I have gscan2PDF but it doesn't work as well.

2 A good website downloader, I used Offline Explorer. As above not working in Wine. Great for downloading pages of schematics. I've used HTTrack, it works but it's a little clunky.

3 When I print a paper copy from PDF in XP I could make a selection and print it to a full 8X11 on paper. Great if I only need to print a part of a schematic. No linux PDF reader can do this?

I'm running 18.2

Comment

• One way to convert a image or web page, to a pdf, is to take a screenshot.
        There are different screenshot programs.
        gnome-screenshot is one. I just hit print screen.
        The image will be in the /home/pictures folder.
        Open the image in shotwell, and hit print.
        Next select print to file and select where to save the pdf.

https://itsfoss.com/convert-multiple...f-ubuntu-1304/
        https://askubuntu.com/questions/4935...-to-pdf/557975
        https://askubuntu.com/questions/3038...s-or-pdf-files
        Attached Files
        Last edited by big_teee; 09-11-2019, 03:44 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

• For a single page PDF it's no problem, I click on Print and select the option "Print to File" Also works for a web page and will create a multipage PDF.
          But what if I have a collection of image files and want to make a multipage PDF? gscan2pdf does this but all pages end up in portrait orientation, which
          means schematics are turned sideways. Also I found the resulting file size was fairly large compared to the old XP way.
          Last edited by dmeek; 09-11-2019, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dmeek View Post
            1 A good PDF creator. I used Image2PDF in XP, Can't get it working with Wine. It creates a PDF from a set if image files like gif,jpg,png etc. I have gscan2PDF but it doesn't work as well.
            Could you use the online version? - Image2PDF
            I use this one - To PDF

Comment

• Why not run XP on Virtual Machine, VM.
              Running XP vm, will allow you to run your windows apps you're used to.
              lhttps://www.wikihow.com/Install-Windows-XP-on-Ubuntu-with-VirtualBox
              This vid is Ubu, but mint would be very similar.

"If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

• Thanks, I'd never heard of Virtual Machine. I'm using Wine - some programs work, some don't

Comment

• First you will need to install Virtualbox.
                  Here's a vid for that.

Terry

Comment

• Got VM and XP installed already. That was Easy!
                    Now to install my programs. Might take me a day or two, I'm busy with other things right now.
                    Thanks for your help!

Comment

• Originally posted by dmeek View Post
                      Got VM and XP installed already. That was Easy!
                      Now to install my programs. Might take me a day or two, I'm busy with other things right now.
                      Thanks for your help!
                      Good to hear!
                      When you get it all running, please post some pictures.
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

• Quick question. How do I transfer files between Linux and Virtual XP. They don't see each other. I thought I would use a USB flash drive but XP doesn't see it.

Comment

• XP won't see a ext4 partition.
                          You may have to format your usb thumb drive, to either ntfs, or fat32.
                          You can do that with command line, or gparted.
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

• Making progress. I managed to set up a shared folder to transfer files. I had to download and install an add-on called "Guest Additions"

Comment

• Originally posted by tboy View Post
                              Just as we do with other gear, lets start by finding out exactly what you have to work with: What is the make and model of the laptop, what processor does it use at what clock speed, and how much RAM is installed?
                              Okay, homework done. I have a Compaq, Pentium 4m 2ghz, 1gig ram, 37.3gig HD. and an Acer Pentium M 1.73ghz, 1.2gig ram, 75gig HD. I am thinking I might try Lubuntu on one and maybe something else on the other. Recommendations?

Thanks
                              Last edited by dmartn149; 09-12-2019, 01:28 AM. Reason: sp
                              Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by dmartn149 View Post
                                Okay, homework done. I have a Compaq, Pentium 4m 2ghz, 1gig ram, 37.3gig HD. and an Acer Pentium M 1.73ghz, 1.2gig ram, 75gig HD. I am thinking I might try Lubuntu on one and maybe something else on the other. Recommendations?

Thanks
                                How about zorin on one of your laptops?
                                https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=10575
                                It is light on resources.
                                I did a review, and it was snappy and easy to use.
                                I reviewed it here, post 4.
                                https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ad.php?t=48341
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X