Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know absolutely zero about this. I see the screen saver picture, the other screens don't mean anything to me. This takes the place of ...Windows?

If I were to put it on my computer, would my Adobe just up and run when I launch it? Will my TurboTax just up and run? CHrome? or would I have to go through a bunch of tweaking and setting interrupts or whatever?

I mostly open pdf or GIF/JIF, picture files. Occasionally I get something that opens in an IE page, would that work? I guess my basic question is this: If I buy a computer with Windows and IE, I can turn it on and everything works. If I installed your program, what - if anything - would change in that formula?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

• If you have to have windows programs, you probably need to stay on windows.
      Linux is an alternative to Windows, and uses its own programs.
      I use a linux pdf viewer similar to adobe, but not adobe.
      Depending on what your computer learning curve is?
      If you want to try a live version of linux?
      You can run it from a DVD, or from a memory stick, loaded with ubuntu.
      This wouldn't effect your current windows load.
      Just turn off and reboot into windows.
      Linux isn't for everyone, but I like it.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpALe245EOQ
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrJgeuloNVU
      https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...buntu+live+usb
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

• Thanks, it probably isn't for me either, but I am trying to understand it. My curve is very slow.

If there was an alternate pdf fiewer that worked the same as Adobe, great, good enough. I know the default pdf viewer in Chrome sucks terribly.

So for example, I could not run Turbo Tax on it? Does Pro Tools support it?
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

• I don't know anything about turbo tax.
          My wife keeps up with the tax stuff all year, and we pay the lady down the street to do our taxes.
          I take the money I save on windows software and pay her!
          She's cheap.
          I thought you could just do the taxes with turbo, or others online?
          If you were nearby, I would give you a demo, picture worth a thousand words.
          I have been windows free, for nearly 5 years now.
          Wouldn't know how to start using it again, or want to.
          I take that back, I've run 8.1, and win 10, just long enough to get it off the hard drive.
          What I remember most about it, is how slow it runs.
          GL,
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

• Here's a link to distrowatch.
            DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
            It keeps up with all the current linux, goings on!
            It's the Open Source Hang out!
            T
            Terry

Comment

• Yup the PDF viewer in my Linux Mint 17 is great!! For me I use Linux to surf the web and forget about being bogged down by windows issues. I turn on the machine, type password, and then 20-30 seconds later desktop shows up (already connected to Internet), fast!! I never have any REAL issues any more since switching to Linux for 2 Years now. I think the best idea is to have your safe secure Windows install on a computer that you do taxes on and that kind of stuff. Actually I have a computer that is Windows for business stuff then I have another one that runs barely any processes as audio workstation that does not connect to the Internet. Audacity works rather well on Linux and I have processed video more successfully than on my other windows box. Most major business software is not being written for Linux/Ubuntu.

I guess my main point here is that the Linux versions are getting really good results just straight out of the box. Actually I had more problems with windows than Linux with right out of the box installs.
              When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

• Well I was using TurboTax more as a metaphore for all the regular commercial software I have. Apparently I need to get software specifically designed for Ubuntu then.

As to tax specifically, yes, you can geet basic short form taxes done free in many placces, but I have to file schedule C and other business forms, which are not included in those. I used to file a partnership return, schedule K and all that, and I did it on paper. Software is SOOOO much better. It wasn't "hard" by hand, it is just a lot of shuffling. The software knows what all you have to file, so I don't have one of those "Oh crap, I need a 2106" moments.

I never understood the griping about Windows or some browsers. To me, they all open up and get me my email, process my words, and get me here. And then...Windows 10 happened. Boy was it a mistake to let that download itself.

Comment

• So I take it that you cannot run Microsoft office programs or Microsoft Project on Linux. Is that correct? I'm not asking because they are great programs but because some of us need to be compatible with the mainstream business software in order to collaborate with others. I know about open office. It works well on it's own and is mostly compatible. However, it you try to work in a situation that switches back and forth between open office and Microsoft office then the file gets scrambled and the result does not produce a clean final product.

What about running programs such as Duncan's amp tools under Linux? And I too need to run programs such as turbotax, Adobe Photoshop Elements, video editors etc. Do such programs run under Linux?
                  Last edited by Tom Phillips; 04-14-2017, 04:56 AM.

Comment

• Linux is more of a self contained world.
                    When you load Ubuntu, you get a office suite called libreoffice.
                    You usually get firefox or chromium browsers.
                    It comes preloaded with lots of tools, Viewers, players, & accessories, etc.
                    Most everything else you may want to download, is on Ubuntu Repositories.
                    The Repositories are Ubuntu's server, or cloud, and can be accessed by a gui (graphical user Interface).
                    Or if you know what program you need, you can do it by command line.
                    I usually install programs by command line, it is quicker.
                    Below is a pic of both.
                    Everything I use is accessible somewhere for free.
                    I pretty much have a linux way of doing anything I wanted to do with windows.

T
                    Attached Files
                    Terry

Comment

• I do linux only.
                      Some guys do dual boot, both linux and windows on the same Hard drive.
                      Some do Virtual Machine, for either linux or windows.
                      My wifes laptop, it came with windows 10.
                      I left 10 on it, and cleared space for ubuntu, and it is now dual boot.
                      Though it has windows capability, we never boot it up to windows.
                      Another option that I used to do when I was a travel comm tech?
                      I carried a linux OS on a thumbdrive, or Memory stick.
                      I would boot into windows, for work and linux thumbdrive for personal email and such.
                      My answer to everything now that I'm retired, is to buy another cheap laptop.
                      We have 4 laptops.
                      All in the $200-400 range.
                      Put linux on a laptop, and do your nightime surfing on that.
                      On my laptops, I do dual boot linux.
                      I keep one linux just for my stock and banking stuff.
                      Then I boot to another linux when I am all over the web doing everything else.
                      T
                      Last edited by big_teee; 04-14-2017, 05:12 AM.
                      Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
                        What about running programs such as Duncan's amp tools under Linux? And I too need to run programs such as turbotax, Adobe Photoshop Elements, video editors etc. Do such programs run under Linux?
                        I can and do run Photoshop, Tone Stack Calc, Express PCB, Express Sch, PSU Designer, and LTSpice IV under WINE. Not sure about Duncan's amp tools but heck I would try it out. Lots of windows stuff runs just fine with WINE installed. I would try out Turbo Tax but I choose to separate my computers from business and pleasure. I now prefer Gimp to Photoshop and really believe in the programs for Linux.

Another point. When I have a 192k 32bit wave audio file and I try to play it on a basic install of windows it just errors out. To make that work I need a sound card and software to allow windows to play such files of that format. In my Linux Mint install, right out of the box, it plays them all with some sort of built in codec or something. I was amazed the first time!!
                        When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

• Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
                          I can and do run Photoshop, Tone Stack Calc, Express PCB, Express Sch, PSU Designer, and LTSpice IV under WINE. Not sure about Duncan's amp tools but heck I would try it out. Lots of windows stuff runs just fine with WINE installed. I would try out Turbo Tax but I choose to separate my computers from business and pleasure. I now prefer Gimp to Photoshop and really believe in the programs for Linux.
                          Another point. When I have a 192k 32bit wave audio file and I try to play it on a basic install of windows it just errors out. To make that work I need a sound card and software to allow windows to play such files of that format. In my Linux Mint install, right out of the box, it plays them all with some sort of built in codec or something. I was amazed the first time!!
                          That's pretty good compatibility. I'll keep learning about Linux possibilities. I've got the hardware to experiment on but I also have a large backlog on my general "To do" list.
                          Thanks for the detailed info.

Comment

• This is interesting. I had Ubuntu a few years ago on a laptop that was set up by a friend of mine down the street who is a genius programmer. I found it worked really well although I didn't do much beyond using the web. Never had any trouble with viruses or anything like that. One thing that can be a problem is hardware compatibility; in the time I had it I got a new printer and a USB turntable. Both came with drivers for Mac and Windows only. My friend was able to have them working within a few minutes after I had struggled for a couple of hours. Later he moved to New York and it soon became evident that I didn't have the skills to carry on with it myself, so I switched to this old Macbook. I think Ubuntu is a good system, in fact I preferred many aspects of it. The fact that you can install it on cheap PC's is a big bonus. It seems to me though that it's more of an enthusiast thing that you need to have the skills and interest to invest in it. Much like tube amps or old cars or whatever else. I would certainly try it again in the future; I might need some help though.

Andy

Comment

• That describes my fears: it probably works just fine, but it requires a certain level of computer savvy to live with. Some people enjoy dealing with it, I just want the computer to be a box that does what I want without me telling it anything. I am lost as soon as someone says, "Oh, all you have to do is reboot your DLL file etc etc..."

On the other hand, when people ask about buying an oscilloscope or something, I usually tell them that only experience can tell you what you really want in one. SO start with most any scope, and use it to find out what scopes do, THEN worry about the nuances. I guess the thing to do woul;d be load it onto a computer and mess with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                                Ubuntu, keeps upgrading, and is keeping up with hardware, and programs.
                                I run Ubuntu Mate. This one.
                                Distribution Release: Ubuntu MATE 16.10 (DistroWatch.com News)
                                It's easy to load, runs fast, it's FREE, plus, I always forget to mention, it's Linux, & it's fun!
                                Check it out!
                                T
                                The trouble I have with Linux is that there's too much choice. In that link there are 100 distributions down the right side and a stack more down the left side so how can anyone know which to chose?

Comment

Working...
                                X