This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for you, Terry...

It was my understanding that the Linux kernel includes procedures for swapping RAM. What do you think impresses me the most about Android? The touch screen? The user interface?

No, what impresses me the most about Android is how it handles multitasking which is far better than Windows and how it addresses the internet which is far safer than Windows. I am pretty sure all of that comes from the basic Linux kernels. I am mainly concerned with how a computer or device handles whatever tasks I might throw at it.

Yes, Terry, I hate to admit it but I am an incorrigible computer nerd more concerned about how my damned computer works than the user interface.

And as I mentioned before all of the Android experts and developers at sites like XDA seem to be Linux nerds, which in some cases might be what they do for a living while they screw around with Android in their free time.

I really appreciate this thread you started, Terry, as it has been an important factor in my decision a few years ago to switch to Linux once I clear out enough space in front of my PC to sit down in front of it. Or even make enough space to use one of my laptops.

Hmmm... I do have some very sturdy TV trays... two of them with a piece of MDF clamped across the top would be great for using a Linux laptop at least temporarily. So maybe that will happen sooner than I thought.

Peace out!

Steve A.

EDIT I did find a good article which discussed how well some of the distros work for the blind community and will post a link and a PDF later. I guess for some a command line interface might work best. If keyboard macros are supported that would certainly simplify inputting some of those complicated Linux commands... Heck, I might try it on one of my laptops!
    Last edited by Steve A.; 07-15-2018, 01:11 PM.
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

• No procedure for RAM swap that I'm aware of.
      Just install your additional ram and turn it on, and boot.
      One of the main things the kernel does is house and include all hardware drivers.
      That is why it is important to use a linux with upgraded kernel, so you get all the newer drivers required for new computer hardware.

Gnome does have a lot of Universal Access, for the Seeing and Hearing impaired.
      Including High contrast, large text, Cursor size, zoom, sound keys. & Screen Readers.

Speaking of under the hood?
      The reason I run linux, is because you have better control of what and who, is doing what, with your private data.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

• Big Tee in your opinion what is the best linux os for older laptops?
        And do you have any experience with SDR?(Software Defined Radio)

thanks,

nosaj
        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

• Big Tee in your opinion what is the best linux os for older laptops?
          And do you have any experience with SDR?(Software Defined Radio)

thanks,

nosaj

Comment

• Originally posted by nosaj
            Big Tee in your opinion what is the best linux os for older laptops?
            Manjaro is a good choice but I prefer Porteus if you're running it off a linux volume. Both are stripped down so you'll have to install what you need. I view this as a positive because you end up with only what you want. Distrowatch is good place to pick and choose from all the available flavors.
            Last edited by yldouright; 08-05-2018, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Currently looking at skywave.

Application for this laptop is SDR only. software defined radio. Pulling in SW signals.

nosaj

Comment

• I run Xubuntu on all my laptops, cause I like the X desktop.
                As far as old laptops, depends on how old.
                Is it 32, or 64 bit, and will it boot Live, from USB, or do you need a DVD to boot the live media?
                I like to always run whatever Linux distro I'm trying, in Live mode from a USB first, to see how it works for my hardware.
                If it won't run Live, then there is no need to go to the trouble to Load it on the Hard drive.
                You can find all the varieties of Ubuntu here with all the issues thru the years.
                http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/
                Good luck,
                T
                Last edited by big_teee; 08-05-2018, 05:44 PM.
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

• New Release 18.10 came out yesterday.
                  It has the latest linux software, and is using the latest kernel 4.18.0-10.
                  It comes in a variety of desktop distros.
                  http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/
                  I'm currently using the Gnome desktop with top panel.
                  It's still FREE! Check it out!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-10-19 10-18-36.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	851868Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-10-19 10-18-57.png
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	851869Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-10-19 10-19-45.png
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	851870
                  Terry

Comment

• Here's a maintenance tip for updates.
                    You can update with the gui if you like.
                    I prefer to use the Terminal command line.
                    It is faster, once you get used to the manual way.
                    (This command works on any Ubuntu, or Debian based OS, which includes mint, and peppermint to name a few)
                    This one command will run 3 different package management operations.
                    # apt update && apt upgrade && apt autoremove
                    The first will update, after the update hit a return and it will upgrade.
                    After the upgrade is complete, hit a return and it will then do any necessary auto removes.
                    See Screenshot.
                    my computer is up to date, so nothing was done.
                    T

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-10-23 13-15-30.png
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	851918
                    Last edited by big_teee; 10-23-2018, 07:04 PM.
                    Terry

Comment

• I changed the title from Ubuntu, to All Linux.
                      So if you have anything you want to say about any linux distro or OS, you can say it here.
                      Thanks,
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

• Linux Security

Security is easy for linux.
                        I add a few things. It's all free nothing to buy.
                        Enable the basic firewall.
                        Install and run Clam viruscan.
                        I periodically check my home folder for viruses.
                        I also run security updates.
                        These operations can be run graphically or manually.
                        I prefer to use the terminal way, for updates, and firewall management.
                        For clam AV, i use the clamtk gui.

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-11-14 11-37-33.png
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	852075Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-11-14 11-34-35.png
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	852076Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-11-14 11-45-40.png
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	852077

**Command line messages are for Debian/Unbuntu/Mint/Peppermint based Linux, using the apt package manager.
                        Last edited by big_teee; 11-14-2018, 07:09 PM.
                        Terry

Comment

• Voyager Linux Live

I downloaded the new Voyager version 18.10 live to a USB stick.
                          Ran it live and the keyboard layout is wrong.
                          Checked the keyboard layout, and I had it set to US english.
                          It showed the letters to be in the correct place, but some of the letters still come out wrong, when you type them.
                          Anyone ever experience keyboard discrepancies like that before?
                          It is probably just a bug!
                          T

https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=10377
                          Last edited by big_teee; 11-18-2018, 04:55 PM.
                          Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                            I downloaded the new Voyager version 18.10 live to a USB stick.
                            Ran it live and the keyboard layout is wrong.
                            Checked the keyboard layout, and I had it set to US english.
                            It showed the letters to be in the correct place, but some of the letters still come out wrong, when you type them.
                            Anyone ever experience keyboard discrepancies like that before?
                            It is probably just a bug!
                            T

https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=10377
                            I think I read somewhere Microsoft wrote the keyboard driver for that one
                            nosaj

Comment

• It's a shame, the new Voyager had a new sexy gnome shell look, and I was hoping to take it for a good Drive!
                              https://distrowatch.com/images/slinks/voyager.png
                              Last edited by big_teee; 11-18-2018, 07:26 PM.
                              Terry

Comment

• Running 18.10 on my slaptop but I use KDE. No problems even appears to be a bit faster than 14.04. Still running 14.04 on the desktops.
                                It's all about the bass. Lock in the groove and stay out of everyone else's way.

Comment

Working...
                                X