Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running 18.10 on my slaptop but I use KDE.
    Thanks for stopping by!
    Are you running 18.10 Kubuntu, I guess, not voyager?
    I run Ubuntu Mate 18.04, 18.10, and started using 19.04 daily loads some.
    So 18.10 is probably the fastest and cleanest OS I've ran to date.
    I start with Mate, then load XFCE, and or Gnome desktops.
    Gnome once you get used to it, is probably the fastest, to navigate around in.
    It took me a while to get used to the top panel, and the left top hot button.
    GL,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

• Yes it's Kubuntu on all systems for general use and an AVlinux install on a separate drive set up as a DAW.
      Although the Kubuntu install can also be used as a DAW, I setup the KXStudio repositories and installed the software.
      Switched to Linux quite a while ago and finally switched my wife's over about 3 years ago.
      Last MS OS I used for everything was XP.
      I tried Gnome but didn't like it.
      Also used XFCE a few times as well as others.

I do still have a drive with Win 8 installed but I only boot into it when I need to draw something in CAD. I use Solid Edge free 2D on it. I don't care to much for the Linux CAD alternatives. Draftsight isn't too bad but a long learning curve.

I also did a lot of Distro hopping over the years and still do try different ones from time to time.
      Last edited by J Luth; 12-02-2018, 01:10 AM.
      It's all about the bass. Lock in the groove and stay out of everyone else's way.

Comment

• I'm retired so I don't have to use a latop anymore for work.
        Not had a windows rig here since 2012.
        I've done lots of distro hopping, but always end up back to an apt-get os.
        I used to use Mint, but like the Ubuntus better.
        U-Mate has great base and drivers for laptops, so I load it first then put whatever desktop I want over that.
        I like the desktop look of KDE, but never took the time to learn and adapt to the widget concept.
        I used to hate gnome, but loaded a lot of the gnome apps.
        Now I like most things about gnome, and now I prefer the top panel.
        I may have to play with kubuntu again.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

• Mostly use Desktops, the laptop is used down in the workshop.
          I don't remember exactly when I switched from Windoz probably mid 2000's, 6, 7 or 8 maybe. May have been a bit later but I do remember using it back then or earlier. Surprisingly, around here back then you could buy packaged Distros, Red Hat, Mandrake, SUSE, Debian and a few others in some of the big box stores. Circuit City was one that had them. Came with the disk or disks and full manuals. Probably one of the reasons, besides all the colleges, that there are a fair amount of users around here. Not very expensive and good if you didn't have a high speed Internet connection. Switched the wife's over maybe 2 or 3 years ago. It took her a while but she likes it now.

I don't dig deep with the command line much any more. I used to when I first started using it, probably stems from working in DOS a lot.
          The latest Kubuntu is pretty good along with the new KDE 5.12. It's a bit different than the earlier versions of KDE.
          Last edited by J Luth; 12-04-2018, 02:21 AM.
          It's all about the bass. Lock in the groove and stay out of everyone else's way.

Comment

• KDE, sure is pretty, great look.
            I never can get it setup like I want, and I always end up back on X, or Gnome.
            Since I've adapted to gnome 3.30, IMO it makes everything quick and easy!
            Use what you like, that is why there are so many different desktops out there!
            T

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-12-04 09-51-03.png
Views:	1
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	852282
            Last edited by big_teee; 12-04-2018, 11:41 PM.
            Terry

Comment

• You can clone one partition to another partition using gparted.
              I cloned and copied part 4 to part 5
              Still working on getting them to boot separately.
              TBC
              T

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-12-06 11-30-05.png
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	852317
              Last edited by big_teee; 12-06-2018, 08:21 PM. Reason: OS cloning using Gparted
              Terry

Comment

• LINUX MINT 19

Mint 19 is out.
                I haven't tried it yet. If I do, I'll post a screenshot of it.
                If you try it, please report on it here!
                Here's 13 new things about Mint 19.
                Included is a nice video of the new features.
                Nearly forgot to say, MINT 19 is FREE !
                https://itsfoss.com/linux-mint-19-release-feature/
                Download it here.
                https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=10394
                T

**I loaded Mint 19.1 Cinnamon today on my test laptop. Great graphics.
                It was easy to load and run. An excellent OS, for a first linux, easier to use IMO than windows.
                I moved the panel from the bottom to the top. I'm used to Gnome, and it's on the top.
                Here's some screenshots of it.

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-12-09 13-51-25.png
Size:	584.8 KB
ID:	852381Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-12-09 13-51-56.png
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	852382Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-12-09 13-54-21.png
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	852383Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-12-09 13-59-07.png
Size:	394.9 KB
ID:	852384Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-12-09 18-20-54.png
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	852385
                Last edited by big_teee; 12-10-2018, 12:06 AM.
                Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  **I loaded Mint 19.1 Cinnamon today on my test laptop. Great graphics.
                  It was easy to load and run. An excellent OS, for a first linux, easier to use IMO than windows.
                  I moved the panel from the bottom to the top. I'm used to Gnome, and it's on the top.
                  Here's some screenshots of it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51480[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51481[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51482[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51483[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51484[/ATTACH]
                  Mint 19.1 Official is out today.
                  Above are screenshot of 19.1 beta, which I loaded and tried a week or so back.
                  A very nice complete Linux Distro.
                  Includes a very good Office Suite, that will integrate with MS documents.
                  Comes with Firefox browser. 4.15 generic kernel.
                  https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mint
                  You may want to load it on a usb stick and try it live.
                  T
                  Last edited by big_teee; 12-19-2018, 06:24 PM.
                  Terry

Comment

• MX-18 Linux Test Load Review!

MX linux is a Debian based Linux Distro.
                    It comes with XFCE Desktop. (Other Desktops can be downloaded)
                    The panel comes on the left side in a docking bar config.
                    It can easily be moved to top or bottom.
                    It has the latest Generic Kernel, 19.0-1, EW latest, including printer drivers.
                    I have it loaded and running from a USB memory stick.
                    That means it is loaded and running from RAM, not from Hard disk.
                    It comes with Firefox browser, and Latest LibreOffice suite 6.0.1.1.
                    LibreOffice is fully compatible with Microsoft Office documents.
                    So no Office software to buy.
                    All common software is easily added from Debian software repositories.
                    Overall a very pretty slick OS, I wouldn't have a problem using it for my main OS.
                    You can download it here, and yes it's FREE!
                    https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=10411
                    See screenshots!
                    Any response, or comments on the review, are welcome!

Name:	Screenshot.png
Size:	548.1 KB
ID:	852487Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-1.png
Size:	753.8 KB
ID:	852488Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-2.png
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	852489Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-3.png
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	852490Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-9.png
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	852491Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-8.png
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	852492Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-7.png
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	852493Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-4.png
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	852494
                    Last edited by big_teee; 12-21-2018, 07:24 PM.
                    Terry

Comment

• Sitting in front of my Devuan ASCII loaded desktop i wonder about the secial advantage of a distrution like MX... XFCE is available on most larger distributons, especially al Debian derivatives (Devuan started as a fork of Debian in order to remain free of systemd).

BTW: LTSpice in wine?
                      I am having probs to run the ASCs of my tube related projects under LTSpice XVII / Wine - the nodes are not correctly linked. The ASCs have been created with LTSpice IV on OSX. Tube have generic labels, i.e. "triode" or "tetrode" indsted of the previously configured model (e.g. ECC83).
                      Problem still occurs when tube model is contained in ASC file. Tube Library does not matter.

All models based on BF245 JFETs - also 3rd party - run nicely.

Should i go back to LTSpice IV? Should i install the old tube symbol files?

Comment

• Sitting in front of my Devuan ASCII loaded desktop i wonder about the secial advantage of a distrution like MX... XFCE is available on most larger distributons, especially al Debian derivatives (Devuan started as a fork of Debian in order to remain free of systemd).
                        I have no opinion on systemd, sysd is in most modern Linux distros now.
                        Here's an article on why you may or may not like systemd.
                        https://www.infoworld.com/article/31...e-systemd.html

I've run MX, in USB live mode, but not installed on the hard drive.
                        If you prefer XFCE, it is available on most distro's,
                        I used to run XFCE full time, and it is a fine desktop, and is very customizable.
                        I've since switched my computers to the Gnome desktop, but I switch back and forth between Gnome & XFCE.

Also, Wine can be downloaded to most linux distros.
                        Here is the search in debian and ubuntu.
                        # apt-cache search wine
                        response
                        wine - Windows API implementation - standard suite
                        It is easily installed from the Repository, with this command.
                        #apt install wine

GL,
                        T
                        Last edited by big_teee; 03-12-2019, 04:11 PM.
                        Terry

Comment

• I downloaded NomadBSD from here.
                          https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=10530
                          The downloadable image, looks like this
                          nomadbsd-1.2.img.lzma
                          I tried burning it with Gnome-Disks App, but looks to be nothing usable.
                          Can anyone tell me how to burn that kind of an image to usb thumb drive?
                          So far, no cigar!
                          T
                          **Apparently the .lzma file has to be extracted?
                          I haven't figured out how to do that yet with ubuntu?
                          Any ideas?
                          Last edited by big_teee; 04-22-2019, 08:09 PM.
                          Terry

Comment

• The Linux Man Pages should give you the answer to your question. It's just compressed and you need decompress the file.

"lzma is equivalent to xz --format=lzma.
                            Unlzma is equivalent to xz --format=lzma --decompress."

https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux/man/1-xz/
                            When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

• Writing the image to a USB memory stick

Comment

• Thanks everyone.
                                I ended up doing?
                                #unlzma nomadbsd-1.2.img.lzma
                                Like Dr Gonz suggested!
                                It changed it from a 2.1gb compressed file to a 4gb uncompressed .img file.
                                I then used gnome-disks to burn it to usb.
                                I loaded the burned USB on the test computer, and it loaded.
                                I would demo the NomadBSD, but I can't get the wifi network to work.
                                I may try it on the lan.
                                Initially I was not waiting long enough for the .lzma file to unzip, it takes a few minutes.
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X