This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
    Microsoft Outlook and Quarantine are components of Office 365 so your employer has given Microsoft permission to snoop in your email scanning for viruses and other malware. I guess you are using your employer's computer so you probably have no say in the matter.
    Thank you for that, I suspected something along those lines.

And you're quite right, at work, I have limited choice, I have to use at least some parts of the software ecosystem provided by my employer. But this revelation about MS snooping through my email has me thinking I might take my own Linux PC to work, and see if I can't get most of my work done without having to use Windows.

I might not have a choice when it comes to Outlook (the 'Web version will still be linked to Microsoft Snooping Dot Com), but I might be able to plug other security leaks that are surely part of the Windows eco-system I'm forced to use at work now.

-Gnobuddy

Comment

• I use ClamAV to periodically scan my Ubuntu Linux home folder, for virus, and malware.
      I don't use anything real time.
      No email, or web scanning, that slows down the web browser too much!
      I do use U-block real time ad blocker!
      I periodically scan my home folder for Virus, and Malware.
      That way I can rule out that I am passing anything on to other users.
      See Screenshot, of ClamTK, scan.
      T
      Attached Files
      Last edited by big_teee; 12-05-2017, 02:34 AM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

• There are definitely viruses and malware for Linux, not as much as for Windows or Microsoft products, because Microsoft dominates the market, so obviously there will be more developed for that software. That's changing though. You just can't be careless as a user... that's always the main thing, and that goes for any OS.

However, there are plenty of vulnerabilities in the Linux kernel and specific distros, Debian/Ubuntu obviously have the most, as Debian derivatives are the most used, and so the most are found on it. In fact the past couple of years there's been much more vulnerabilities in the Linux kernel and Debian/Ubuntu distros than Windows OS. The good thing about Linux and Mac is they get patched rather quickly, but Windows is on the ball as well, last I checked, as they should be.

I didn't think Windows 7 or 10 was that bad at all when I had it running, I eventually ran into issue and I'm more familiar with Unix OS's than Windows, so I scrapped it after I got a Macbook to run my DAW software with my outboard AD/DA converters.

I still don't think I'd tell someone to switch from Windows 10 to Ubuntu if they have no interest in learning Linux and are already familiar with Windows, just your average computer user, no. Linux has come a long way though, on the desktop that is. They still have a bunch of stuff to work out under the hood.

Comment

• Originally posted by imf View Post
          because Microsoft dominates the market, so obviously there will be more developed for that software.
          I've heard this from Microsoft for fifteen years now, but the facts don't bear out the claim. MS may dominate the desktop, but Linux dominates servers - the very computers most at risk from worms, viruses, and other internet threats. Here are a few excerpts from this September's Netcraft survey of nearly nine million servers (full article here: https://news.netcraft.com/archives/2...er-survey.html)

Originally posted by Netcraft
          While more than half of the websites in the survey are using Microsoft web server software, relatively few of these are active sites. Discounting link farms, domain holding pages and other automatically generated content, Microsoft accounts for only 7.3% of all active sites, while Apache leads with 44.9%, and nginx follows with 20.7%. Microsoft's active sites share has never exceeded Apache's, and ever since it peaked at 38% in early 2009, it has experienced a general decline.

Microsoft's presence within the top million websites has also been steadily declining – in 2008, it had a 20% share, but this has since dwindled to less than 10%. Today, 9.73% of the top million sites use Microsoft web server software (mostly IIS – Internet Information Services), while Apache leads with 38.9%. However, Apache has also been experiencing a general decline since 2011, while nginx has continued to muscle its way in. A further 1,299 nginx-powered sites made their way into the top million this month, lifting nginx's share to 29.4%.
          Web-facing operating systems

Apache has been the most commonly installed web server for many years, but which underlying operating systems are used by the world's web facing computers?

By far the most commonly used operating system is Linux, which runs on more than two-thirds of all web-facing computers. This month alone, the number of Linux computers increased by more than 91,000; and again, this strong growth can largely be attributed to cloud hosting providers, where Linux-based instances are typically the cheapest and most commonly available.
          Big teee doesn't want these sorts of discussions in this thread, but I thought it was worth noting that Microsoft's claim "we're only insecure because we own the biggest market share" isn't true. In fact, MS is so insecure that fewer than a third of web servers run it these days, and those that do, often have a vested interest (MS owns them, say).

In years past, there was a period when MS used to host their own Hotmail email service on servers running FreeBSD - not Windows - a fact which caused much merriment among the Open-Source community.

-Gnobuddy

Comment

• Originally posted by Gnobuddy View Post
            I've heard this from Microsoft for fifteen years now, but the facts don't bear out the claim. MS may dominate the desktop, but Linux dominates servers - the very computers most at risk from worms, viruses, and other internet threats. Here are a few excerpts from this September's Netcraft survey of nearly nine million servers (full article here: https://news.netcraft.com/archives/2...er-survey.html)

Big teee doesn't want these sorts of discussions in this thread, but I thought it was worth noting that Microsoft's claim "we're only insecure because we own the biggest market share" isn't true. In fact, MS is so insecure that fewer than a third of web servers run it these days, and those that do, often have a vested interest (MS owns them, say).

In years past, there was a period when MS used to host their own Hotmail email service on servers running FreeBSD - not Windows - a fact which caused much merriment among the Open-Source community.

-Gnobuddy
            All OS are at risk for viruses and malware just the same. Microsoft definitely dominated the desktop by a long shot, Mac is huge now and Linux is nowhere close. I am talking about general computer users here, not servers.

As far as servers go, there are more vulnerabilities in the Linux kernel and OS's than Windows 10 or Windows server for the past 5 years at least. There has been plenty of vulnerabilities in Apache.

Microsoft Azure is huge in the cloud as well, although you can run anything you want on it.

Comment

• Ubuntu Linux is still a great OS, and it is still Free.
              https://www.ubuntu.com/
              All the Supporting software, like office, AV, various editors, utilities, firewalls, etc, are also free.
              With the Cost Factor, all the individual file & control, AV resistance, etc?
              It wins in my book, hands down!
              Other security features I also enable, are UEFI, & Secure Boot.
              With Ubuntu you can enable both!
              Every time I get a new laptop with win 8.1, or win 10, I can't get rid of the Windows quick enough.
              Linux is Fast and efficient, and makes a fine desktop!
              YMMV,
              T
              **The wallpaper picture on my desktop, is of Morro Rock, in Morro Bay, CA.
              My friend Allen (Corona Blue), who rides his bicycle there, emailed it to me, a while back.
              BTW-Allen is also a Fellow Computer Linux Distro-Hopper (Preference is Mint Cinnamon, And Xubuntu) !
              Attached Files
              Last edited by big_teee; 12-08-2017, 06:04 PM.
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                Ubuntu Linux is still a great OS, and it is still Free.
                https://www.ubuntu.com/
                Which version of Ubuntu is that teee? It has the taskbar at the bottom. The one I tried had the taskbar at the top like the picture in your link.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave H View Post
                  Which version of Ubuntu is that teee? It has the taskbar at the bottom. The one I tried had the taskbar at the top like the picture in your link.
                  I run XFCE for the desktop.
                  It starts out with the top panel, but is real easy to move it to the bottom.
                  This one would be the one to start with.
                  https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=xubuntu
                  If you decide to load it, I can help you get it to the bottom.
                  Panel preferences, unlock the panel, and drag it to the bottom, and relock the panel.
                  see screenshots.
                  T
                  **The small vertical panel on lower left is set to autohide.
                  It is not normally visible, until you run the cursor over it.
                  Attached Files
                  Terry

Comment

• Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave H View Post
                      Thanks, I'll give it a try.
                      Please let us know how it turns out!
                      GL,
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

• Ubuntu has new issues twice annually.
                        18.04 LTS (Long term support), just came out yesterday.
                        I've been running the beta versions for several months.
                        Some great software.
                        Index of /
                        Check it out!
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

• Linux support for the blind community?

Terry, I was talking to a blind friend who is always raving about the screen reader apps and programs on the Apple platforms so I was wondering how Linux has been working out for the unsighted. And are there some specific builds that are better than others?

Thanks!

Steve A.

P.S. There is no need to sell me on Linux... I am already using Android for 99% of my computing and browsing needs and it is based on a Linux kernel as I understand the term. Windows sucks!
                          The Blue Guitar
                          www.blueguitar.org
                          Some recordings:
                          https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

• I have no Idea.
                            I just use a regular desktop.
                            Currently I run XFCE desktop, and at times Gnome Desktop.
                            As far as selling you on Linux?
                            Use what you like.
                            But, calling Android Linux, even if it runs on a kernel, I think would be a stretch!
                            Android started with a modified linux kernel, for mobile devises primarily for touchscreens.
                            It was modified from there, and as far as I know, doesn't use standard linux kernels.
                            For example all my Ubu rigs are currently on generic kernel 4.15.0-24:
                            root@Xubu2:~# uname -a
                            Linux Xubu2 4.15.0-24-generic #26-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 13 08:44:47 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                            GL & Have Fun!
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

• I run Multi-boot Laptops, with a minimum of 2 Ubuntu Distros Loaded on them.
                              At boot you pick the Distro from the Grub bootloader.
                              I recently loaded a third distro, this one runs the Gnome desktop.
                              Gnome is very fast, and runs the Firefox browser quickly.
                              Here's a screenshot of it.
                              Gnome is another Linux desktop choice.
                              T
                              Attached Files
                              Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                                I have no Idea.
                                I just use a regular desktop.
                                I was asking for a blind friend and have no idea where to even start looking. The blind have computers and laptops with regular displays just like us but they use screen reader software to be able to hear what is being displayed. As fully graphical interfaces (like Win 7) have replaced more text-based interfaces (like WinXP) it makes it more difficult for blind people to use computers.

Currently I run XFCE desktop, and at times Gnome Desktop.
                                As far as selling you on Linux?
                                Use what you like.
                                You have already sold me on the idea of switching over to Linux as soon as I can clear enough space in my overly-cluttered condo to set up a laptop with Linux.
                                But, calling Android Linux, even if it runs on a kernel, I think would be a stretch!
                                I didn't think I was saying that but isn't the kernel the basis of the actual operating system? I was referring to the OS and not the user interface, etc., in the various distros.

More important my point was that I am very dissatisfied with Windows as an operating system. It was originally designed for individual computers while Unix and Linux was designed with computer networks in mind from Day One, right? Whereas they have to keep patching Windows to keep up with the ever-changing modern world...

FWIW it is usually Linux programmers who provide the most help on Android user forums perhaps because they speak the same language...? I really don't know — I just follow their tips when I am looking for help.

Peace out

Steve A.
                                The Blue Guitar
                                www.blueguitar.org
                                Some recordings:
                                https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
                                X