Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me choose a speaker for my Champ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose a speaker for my Champ...

Hi everybody, I'm new around here and I need some hlep.

I just orderd a BF Champ from Ceriatone and I'm thinking which speaker to get. This Champ will be slightly moded... it will have choke trannie, Tone Stack Baypass and Negative Feedback switch. I'm going for versatility.
    I think, I going with 10" speaker, and the question is which one.

Weber is out, to expensive around here and very hard to get.
    So I was thinking Eminence Legend 1028k or Jensen P10R, both are AlNicos and they cost about the same.

Any ideas?

FWIW, I just did a forum search for "champ speaker" and I found two pages of threads that match your question. If you take a few minutes to do the same, you might find a good answer to your question.

HTH.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
      FWIW, I just did a forum search for "champ speaker" and I found two pages of threads that match your question. If you take a few minutes to do the same, you might find a good answer to your question.

HTH.

Well I did and almost all are proposing Weber speakers. That's not an option for me. Also not many 10" speakers are mentioned.
      I tried to google the Eminence legend 1028k... and I didn't find any good review about this speaker.
      That's why I'm asking.

Comment

Originally posted by mcinku View Post
        Well I did and almost all are proposing Weber speakers. That's not an option for me. Also not many 10" speakers are mentioned.
        I tried to google the Eminence legend 1028k... and I didn't find any good review about this speaker.
        That's why I'm asking.
        I assume then you don't have a cabinet yet. I concur with using a 10" speaker as long as you have room. I can't speak to the legend 1028k, but I have used a re-issue Jensen 10" in a Champ before. It was ok, but doesn't break up soon enough for me. I would avoid anything too bright unless that's your preference. Out of curiosity, what is your budget?
        Tubeboy

Comment

I have the 8 inch weber signature series in my Champ, and I don't like it as much as everyone else seems to like it. A more expensive speaker is money well spent IMO.

In regard to 10 inch speakers, stepping up in size does give you better options, but its a pretty tight fit to get a 10 inch speaker into a champ, and the skilled woodworking requirements are not insignificant.

FWIW, I like the Champ best as a head, or with an external speaker cabinet.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

I agree with Bob, the Weber 8" speaker is what it is, very cheap.
            And to me, still a cheap sounding speaker.
            Plus many that I've bought from them have had wrinkles in the paper cone which couldn't be good.
            I'd look for something else if you are trying to get a 10" in there.
            The Weber 10A100T sounds real good but the newer Eminence speakers are getting better and better every time they come out with new models and many sound great right out of the box.
            Bruce

Mission Amps
            Denver, CO. 80022
            www.missionamps.com
            303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by tubeboy@verizon.net View Post
              I assume then you don't have a cabinet yet. I concur with using a 10" speaker as long as you have room. I can't speak to the legend 1028k, but I have used a re-issue Jensen 10" in a Champ before. It was ok, but doesn't break up soon enough for me. I would avoid anything too bright unless that's your preference. Out of curiosity, what is your budget?
              Yes, I'm going to build a cabinet from scratch. My budget is around 100€ which should be enough for a decent 10" speaker I think. I don't want to go overboard with this.
              I did this comparison between Jensen and Eminence,... as you can see Eminnence is a little weaker on bass and hi-end and stronger on mids.
              Attached Files

Comment

I have the 8 inch weber signature series in my Champ, and I don't like it as much as everyone else seems to like it. A more expensive speaker is money well spent IMO.

In regard to 10 inch speakers, stepping up in size does give you better options, but its a pretty tight fit to get a 10 inch speaker into a champ, and the skilled woodworking requirements are not insignificant.

FWIW, I like the Champ best as a head, or with an external speaker cabinet.
                'Cause I'm building a cabinet from scratch I can go with enything I want (even 12"). I decided to go wit 10" 'cause I want this amp to be small enough to carry around the house but big enough not to sound boxy.
                Besides this champ will have an impedance selector (4,8,16 ohm), so I can connect anything to it. So if 10" is not enough for some reason, I can use my 1X12" Greenback extension cab as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
                  I agree with Bob, the Weber 8" speaker is what it is, very cheap.
                  And to me, still a cheap sounding speaker.
                  Plus many that I've bought from them have had wrinkles in the paper cone which couldn't be good.
                  I'd look for something else if you are trying to get a 10" in there.
                  The Weber 10A100T sounds real good but the newer Eminence speakers are getting better and better every time they come out with new models and many sound great right out of the box.
                  Hi Bruce,
                  just want to say I installed your tone/vol mode in my 5E3 and I'm loving it. This mod was exactly what I needed for my 5E3.

Thanks

BTW
                  this is my 5E3

Comment

nice homebrew. i love the wood & wicker treatment.

is that one of the black Hammond steel boxes? can you recommend a good source for the wicker?

thanks.

Comment

The Emi 1028K with it's Kapton voice coil form is a little neutral/flat sounding to me. The Weber 10A100T sounds better.
                      However, if you want to try a cheap decent speaker, the reissue Jensen C10Q with about 15-20 hours of normal use sounds really good for some reason even though it's specs are not spectacular.
                      Or connect it to a variac at 8-10 vac for ten minutes with an acetone bath on the paper near the surround.
                      This is a trick I learned from Mark B from Matchless about 15 years ago and has been touted by many on the Net who think they discovered or invented it.

http://www.unclespot.com/C10Q.html
                      Bruce

Mission Amps
                      Denver, CO. 80022
                      www.missionamps.com
                      303-955-2412

Comment

is that one of the black Hammond steel boxes? can you recommend a good source for the wicker?

thanks.
                        www.constantines.com has the wicker.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
                          The Emi 1028K with it's Kapton voice coil form is a little neutral/flat sounding to me. The Weber 10A100T sounds better.
                          However, if you want to try a cheap decent speaker, the reissue Jensen C10Q with about 15-20 hours of normal use sounds really good for some reason even though it's specs are not spectacular.
                          Or connect it to a variac at 8-10 vac for ten minutes with an acetone bath on the paper near the surround.
                          This is a trick I learned from Mark B from Matchless about 15 years ago and has been touted by many on the Net who think they discovered or invented it.

http://www.unclespot.com/C10Q.html
                          Uhhh thanks Bruce this is good.
                          I must admin Jensen was my champion from start but in a way, I want to go with AlNico for this Champ. I don't know if that's a smart decision. Currently my other two amps are running with Ceramic speakers, so I thought AlNico would be something else... I never had AlNico speaker before, so I must try one to see and learn.

Comment

thanks.
                            Thanks.

The wood is walnut and I got the wicker from a company where they make chairs and stools. At first they were not so keen on giving it to me but when I explained that I'm making an amp and not some chairs, they gave me a piece.
                            Stell box is just something Nik (Ceriatone) uses for his kits.

Comment

10" speaker choices

I have a Champ that I built with the Eminence Legend 10" - it sounds great!

Comment

Working...
                              X