Parker Fly Jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parker Fly Jack

So this jack is intermittent. This an older REAL Parker Fly before the company was sold. Anyone know what's up with the black thing epoxied to the barrel? The black box has a pin that goes INTO the barrel jack inside. Pretty sure it is related to the Piezo's. In any case how is such a jack repaired/replaced?

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...85816987_n.jpg

The black thing looks like a microswitch, for turning on the power to the active pickups when the plug is inserted. Not sure why they chose to do that instead of the usual way, using the ring contact of a stereo jack. Maybe they thought they would be clever and avoid the big pop caused when the tip of the jack touches -9V on its way in.

Or maybe horror of horrors, the preamp runs off split supplies (two batteries) and they needed a second switch contact to disconnect the other battery. In this case RG Keen has a little transistor circuit that might fix it.

The remainder of the jack looks like an Überkludge.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by lowell View Post
      So this jack is intermittent. This an older REAL Parker Fly before the company was sold. Anyone know what's up with the black thing epoxied to the barrel? The black box has a pin that goes INTO the barrel jack inside. Pretty sure it is related to the Piezo's. In any case how is such a jack repaired/replaced?

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...85816987_n.jpg
      Its been a while since I worked on one but Im pretty sure the switch turned the battery on and off when you plugged in. You can replace it with a switchcraft switchjack. I think customer service at Parker can email you a wiring diagram.

Comment

I can't remember who, but someone makes a panel jack that is stereo and has an additional battery ground terminal. Maybe Fishman.

I think the the Parker separates the Piezo and standard pickup outputs so it can't be a standard stereo jack.

Comment

Yes, the replacement is the Switchjack. Instructions are available from Parker and it is such a rare delight to rework the foil PCB in those to accommodate the new jack, I just can't tell ya. Oh joy.

Comment

Thank you guys. SF does Parker support sell these and are they good with support?

Comment

Parker has been good on the rare occasions I've needed support- call 'em! I honestly don't remember if Parker has the part or merely supplied the re-work diagram. I'm gettin' old.....

Comment

Working...
              X