Source for Vintage Style Chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for Vintage Style Chassis

I just received a 5F2A chassis from Weber and was disappointed to find that the quality has declined since I last bought a chassis from them... maybe 2-3 years ago. You can see tool marks on the front panel, the chrome plating looks cheap, the silkscreen lettering is faint and thin, the steel is lighter gauge, and the corners are not even spot welded. All in all, it has the look of an "imitation" Fender chassis, rather than an actual "reproduction." The Weber chassis is serviceable, but I'd like to find something better. So I'm looking for recommendations on suppliers of high quality Fender tweed style chassis. Is there anybody making accurate vintage style chassis?

Have you looked @ Mojotone?

Comment

Originally posted by echuta13 View Post
      Have you looked @ Mojotone?
      I've looked online, but it's hard to tell from the photos whether these are any better than the Weber chassis. The dimensions (including the .06" metal thickness) are identical, so it seems possible that Weber and Mojotone are sourcing their chassis from the same place. Has anyone actually compared the Weber and Mojotone chassis?

Comment

I thought Weber switched to stainless steel for their Fender-style chassis a few years back? They were having trouble finding good chrome platers for the plain carbon steel chassis. I haven't seen one of their new stainless steel chassis, as all my Webers use the older chrome plated steel chassis. I would guess that Weber does not use the same chassis source as Mojo. You could call up Weber and ask them for details on their chassis.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Stainless steel would explain a lot. I can get a magnet to stick to the chassis, but some stainless steels are magnetic (depends on the particular alloy) so that's not a definitive test. Stainless steel would account for the appearance of the control panel, which lacks the "depth" of good quality chrome plating. Also the entire chassis, inside and out, has a uniform finish and shininess. Chrome plated chassis are typically left pretty rough on the inside.

I guess it's time to go straight to the vendors to get the details. I was just hoping that someone on the forum might've been down this road before me. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Fletcher Munson View Post
            I've looked online, but it's hard to tell from the photos whether these are any better than the Weber chassis. The dimensions (including the .06" metal thickness) are identical, so it seems possible that Weber and Mojotone are sourcing their chassis from the same place. Has anyone actually compared the Weber and Mojotone chassis?
            I have not compared Weber and Mojotone directly. I do know Weber now uses polished SS for all their Tweed chassis because they were unhappy with plating issues.

Mojotone makes a nice chassis, but is somewhat inconsistent. I've seen some where the whole chassis were well polished and plated, and the last one I used was plating and polished at the control layout and rather rough and discolored at the tube side. And speaking f discolored, it's pot/jack/lamp/fuse/etc. holes all were discolored along the collar as well. I still used it and it was a good chassis...just not great.

Comment

Yep. Weber has confirmed that they use stainless steel and they also told me that they don’t weld the corners because they believe the material is sufficiently rigid and does not require it.

The Weber chassis is certainly good quality, and stainless steel has its advantages. But personally, I prefer a more “period correct” approach. I’ve placed an order with Mojotone and I can report on the quality when it arrives.

Anyone know of any other sources for Fender tweed style chassis?

Comment

Working...
              X