12SQ7->50L6 SE design...request for comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12SQ7->50L6 SE design...request for comments

I had an old 40's or 50's phonograph that was given to me (seized motor, dry-rotted rubber, no needle). I decided to try to do something with the cheesy little amp. It was a typical 35z5, 12sq7, 50l6 amp similar to the 3-Tube Audio Amplifier from Alfred Morgan's Second Book of Radio & Electronics http://www.bignick.net/images/RadioPix/MorganAmp.pdf. I pulled inspiration from the Sonic MA1 amp KIRTLAND electronics Hand Wired Guitar Amplifiers ? and the Gibson EH-100 Prowess Amplifiers - Gibson - Schematics - Eh 100 2. Components/values are based on what I have in my junk collection (like the 2:1 step-down power transformer, which inspired this design).

This is what I have come up with (DISCLAIMER - this is a "seat of the pants" design...no curves or calculators were used...no algebra was harmed in the making of this amp). I've got a sloppy prototype put together and it works okay with an MP3 input. I still have to test/tweak with guitar and then do a "real" assembly. I'm expecting mostly clean output with maybe just a hint of overdrive at max volume.

I'm interested in having some other sets of eyeballs check this and see if there's anything that needs to be changed/added/corrected, or if you have any suggestions to make the circuit better. Thanks in advance for any replies.

The Morgan amp was the first one I ever built. I think I was in 6th grade. If you are using that schematic, note that the 150 ohm resisitor in the heater string needs to be 5 or 10 watt. I remember Morgan left it off the bill of materials ha ha. Are you using the 60V transformer idea with the voltage doubler? That's actually a neat idea. The 220uF caps are overkill, 100uF would get the job done.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Ooops - forgot the schematic

Oops...just realized I forgot to attach the schematic. Click image for larger version

Name:	12SQ7_50L6_SE_Amp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	827327

I used the Morgan schematic for the general concept of the two tubes that I have available (60V series string, without the dropping resistor), the voltage-doubler from the Sonic MA-1, and the biasing of the 12SQ7 from the Gibson EH-100 with a typical Fender hi-input. I'll probably go ahead and add a 25uF cathode bypass to the 50L6 output...depends on how much volume that adds. The general idea is a low-watt, mostly clean amp for bedroom/practice/recording to use with pedals that allows me to use some otherwise "junk" tubes. If it works well, maybe I'll do a few for sale/trade/gifts.

If some of the values seem "wonky" (500K volume, 120R cathode resistor, power supply values), it's because I'm working completely out of junkbox stuff before I commit to buying/sourcing "good" parts.

BTW, good point on the dropping resistor - the old phono chassis actually had a 150R ceramic 10W riveted to the chassis - I'm not using it in my design since I'm using the doubler (driving the string directly from the 63VAC secondary).

Comment

R1 should be 68 ohms, not 680 (from the kirtland schematic). You could go with a lower value, just something to act like a fuse. Prehaps 10 ohms 1 watt.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Thanks for catching that...it's a typo on my schematic. I actually have a 68R in the circuit. I think I'll be able to hook up a cheap guitar to it tomorrow for testing/tweaking. I'm hoping it will be worthwhile; otherwise, I'll replace the 12sq7 with a 12ax7 like the Sonic MA1 and experiment some more.

Comment

12SQ7, basically treat as a 12AX7 right? I think the 3k on the cathode is too large, maybe cut it in half. Oh wait, running at a low voltage. Maybe double the plate resistor instead. Cathode bypass on the power tube for sure, you need all the help you can get.

Comment

Yeah, 12SQ7 is supposed to be about 100 mu, so basically half of a 12AX7. I still have to play around with plate and cathode resistors - like I said, I haven't bothered plotting curves or calculating anything (no fun in that!). Actually, I decided to make the power tube bypass cap switchable - it makes a nice volume boost. Overall, it stay mostly clean with a cheap Squier strat that I'm using for testing...may get a little breakup with humbuckers. The volume pushing a cheap 12" console speaker is usable - comparable to a 386-based amp, but clean all the way (I'm guessing 1/2 to 1 Watt output). I may try playing around with the plate resistance to see if I can get it to distort/overdrive naturally; otherwise, I have my Valvecaster to push it with.

Mainly just something different to play with, so I'm not looking for "boutique" sound...just usable. While I have the power-supply setup, I may try an AA4 type of configuration http://www.kirtland.com/guitar1/AA4_..._schematic.gif to use up some old radio tubes, but stick with the 50L6 output, or maybe just go with a 12AX7...but this is such a simple little circuit that I would hate to clutter it up with 2 gain stages.

Comment

12AU6?

Comment

Originally posted by printer2 View Post
                  12AU6?
                  Thought about that...I know I have a couple of 6au6, but not sure if I have a 12au6...have to check the stash, but I'm fairly happy with the way it's coming. I actually prefer to have usable clean.

Comment

Working...
                  X