Fender Rumble 75 speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Rumble 75 speaker

Need a new speaker for this combo. Got a Eminence Basslite S2012 but it doesn't fit!! The baffle cutout is too small. Looks like the original speaker had a smaller frame than your average 12" speaker. Anyone know where to get an exact replacement? I don't want to recut this baffle - PITA.

Fender?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It's very strange, because I just checked, I thought the Basslite 12 might have a cast frame, but no, it's the same stamped frame used by 95% of Eminence speakers.
      So if the Runble speaker is undersized, only the exact same model will do, not a generic "12" Fender Bass speaker".
      Persinally, I'd start by ordering the exact one as Enzo suggested, but if they have any problem, such as "not currently stocked, ask again in 1 month" or whatever, I'd grab a trusty router or at least a hand drill rotary file attachment and enlarge it a bit.
      Difference, if any, should be slight.
      Pity it's front mounted; otherwise it would be easy to fit another with no change.
      Just curious, why don't you post a couple original speaker pictures, one from side, one from back; I'd like to see its frame.
      Doubt it's an Eminence (or it would fit) , it might be some Chinese OEM trype.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

The Rumble line is part of their entry level selection, on the no field repair under warranty list. You can bet all the speakers and other parts are imports, not Eminence.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Looks like Enzo is right again
          So it's "grab the jigsaw" and cut a thin slice around. Which will take less than 10 minutes.
          Still I'd love to see a couple speaker frame pictures, to have an idea of what they are using now.
          The entry level amp is getting a Pro level speaker, by the way
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Here they are... you can see "rumble" written on the stock speaker. It's frame is clearly smaller diameter. Fender has them in stock ready to ship so I'm finding a local place that can get one for me. Thanks Fender.
            Attached Files

Comment

Yes, that will be the most practical solution.
              Both pictures show something interesting:
              1) the Eminence needlessly kept the "big" iron disk, resistance soldered to the frame, which they fit to "normal" Ferrite speakers .... why?
              It serves no purpose and adds useless weight.
              They should have used a thick disk, the same diameter as the silver colored Neo magnet cup.
              2) the Rumble speaker has the typical hot forged backplate+polepiece favored by Taiwanese and now Chinese, instead of the more labor intensive but much more precise stamped/lathe turned disk + polepiece lathe turned from solid bar.
              See the Rumble shows no signs of having a separate polepiece somehow attached to the thick backplate disk, plus disk edges are "rounded" (as when you step on a ball of dough).
              These speakers may have large magnets but are less efficient because of higher losses.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I've run into this a couple times over the last few years.
                As I have found, it's probably very very cheap import speaker from China, where they just made up their own specs for the speaker and it's basket stamping, then charge Fender some absurdly low amount of money for a "proprietary speaker", so Fender is stuck with it.
                Just junk it and cut the baffle board to fit a better speaker.
                Bruce

Mission Amps
                Denver, CO. 80022
                www.missionamps.com
                303-955-2412

Comment

So it's something between a 10 and a 12 inch? Does it match up to any metric round number, or what does it really measure in inches?
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

The speaker is a 12" speaker. It's just the frame that is smaller in diameter. I didn't measure it. Whatever your typical 12" speaker frame diameter is, take about 1/2" off.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                      1) the Eminence needlessly kept the "big" iron disk, resistance soldered to the frame, which they fit to "normal" Ferrite speakers .... why?
                      It serves no purpose and adds useless weight.
                      They probably have a huge stock of speaker baskets with the disks already welded on
                      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

They probably have a huge stock of speaker baskets with the disks already welded on
                        Yes. it must be so.
                        The bigger disk *has* to be made and soldered anyway and has its cost and they sure have smaller disks available (or at least the cutting dies) for smaller speakers or horn drivers so it's the same cwork and less cost to fit the proper one, but I think 2 things might have happened, either thre was a rush order of, say, 100 Neo speakers and they fulfilled it with, as you say, off the shelf half finished frames, *or* the sheet metal frame had a too big center cutout (since they expected a big magnet) and the small one might "fall through" or at least have too thin an overlap for safety.
                        But using a big disk negates the weight advantages of Neo.
                        That said, I have seen similar big sins in "good" speakers.
                        1) Typical "Twin Reverb speaker" magnet diameter is around 130 mm, so it's a very common size in 12" Jensens (C12N, the original one) and its "clones": Oxford, CTS, Eminence, etc.
                        The typical iron disk is 10 mm less diameter than the ferrite, so in this case around 120mm.
                        While typical Celestion magnet goes from 140/145mm (Greenback/G12T75) to 155 mm in the "big guns" (G12H/Vintage 30).
                        I *have* seen (and repaired) Peavey "Sheffield" speakers with ridiculous 120mm disks (obviously they had *tons* of them or maybe it was their only die size at the moment) coupled to 140/150mm magnets.
                        Ridiculous, the extra magnet diameter lies "in the air" and does not reach the voice coil !!!
                        Although it *looks* great, of course.
                        I have also seen "economy line" Eden speakers (which usually are excellent) where the ferrite magnets were *smaller* in diameter than the iron rings.
                        Oh well.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by lowell View Post
                          The speaker is a 12" speaker. It's just the frame that is smaller in diameter. I didn't measure it. Whatever your typical 12" speaker frame diameter is, take about 1/2" off.
                          Ok, I get it now. Reading back I see you mentioned it wouldn't have been a problem if rear loaded. Thinking back I recall having the same problem with a different amp, can't recall the model but ended up grinding out the baffle hole with a dremel or something.
                          Originally posted by Enzo
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                          X