Help me hook up a sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me hook up a sensor?

I'm fairly new to this forum - a place that has been like a college education. I started winding pickups on a drill. Then I moved up to sewing machine. Now it's time to be serious, as I have orders for pups, wind many for friends, experiment with ideas, etc. So I have the lathe. Best thing ever for winding. Now I have this counter:

12V 24V 6 Preset Digital Counter 10KPCS Relay 10 Off | eBay

And have a choice of 2 sensors, an optical, Optek, OPB8422 or...

this reflective optical sensor:

TCRT5000L TCRT5000 Reflective Optical Sensor Infrared 950mm 5V 3A New | eBay

or this proximity sensor:

LJ12A3 4 Z by Inductive Proximity Sensor Detection Switch PNP DC6 36V | eBay

Does anyone have an opinion of which to use and how to hook them up?

The counter is a preset so I should be able to wire it to the lathe to stop the lathe. But HOW is such a thing wired?

OK let me simplify and see if I get some love.

The counter: SESTOS

The sensor is the proximity sensor: Click image for larger version

Name:	AY_800.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	827362

Now were this a cub counter I'd be all good. But has anyone had any experience with this sensor? Could anyone please give me a lead on hooking this up?

I'll be using a 5.1v/0.7a wall wart.

I understand the wiring of the power supply to the sensor but do not know how to then wire those leads to the counter. Also, is a resistor required and how is a preset counter even wired to a motor to stop said motor? Obviously to the solenoid of the brake, but beyond that I'm lost.

Comment

Counter is powered and on. No combination of any wiring has led me to discover how this counter counts. I tried a simple reed switch and endless combination and have achieved nothing.

Comment

jrdamien, I'd recommend ditching the 5v wall wart (your sensor is calling out 6-36 VDC). Instead use the 12V provided by the counter (terminal 4 & 5), that's why the 12V is there. Connect sensor leads to counter (see jpg) and check the NPN/PNP setting since your counter is switchable. If you want to enable/disable the lathe, try using terminal 6 & 7 (might be 7&8 depending on how the counter drives the contacts) run the start circuit through this. You want the connection to stay closed (enabled) until the count reset is reached and then open (turning off the lathe) I would recommend that you don't try to control the motor and brake directly, just treat the counter contact as a start/stop function in series with the existing start circuit. Test the contact actions with a meter to confirm the correct operation before connecting the lathe to the counter. I hope this is helpful. Good luck.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	c3e-info.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	827376

Comment

Originally posted by scuffer View Post
          jrdamien, I'd recommend ditching the 5v wall wart (your sensor is calling out 6-36 VDC). Instead use the 12V provided by the counter (terminal 4 & 5), that's why the 12V is there. Connect sensor leads to counter (see jpg) and check the NPN/PNP setting since your counter is switchable. If you want to enable/disable the lathe, try using terminal 6 & 7 (might be 7&8 depending on how the counter drives the contacts) run the start circuit through this. You want the connection to stay closed (enabled) until the count reset is reached and then open (turning off the lathe) I would recommend that you don't try to control the motor and brake directly, just treat the counter contact as a start/stop function in series with the existing start circuit. Test the contact actions with a meter to confirm the correct operation before connecting the lathe to the counter. I hope this is helpful. Good luck.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]20871[/ATTACH]
          Thank you sir. The sensor works like a charm.

When you say the "start circuit," do you mean to just wire it up in series with the power cord via a switch?

Comment

That should work providing the relay contacts can handle the lathe's motor amperage. If you are starting slow and using a pedal to control the speed you shouldn't have much to worry about at startup. If your relay is disconnecting the motor at full speed at the end of the wind you may have a serious back EMF spike from some kinds of motors that will need filtering or a bigger, secondary relay.
            Relay contacts rated 10A -no problem, if the rating is 0.5A you can forgetaboutit.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
              If your relay is disconnecting the motor at full speed at the end of the wind you may have a serious back EMF spike from some kinds of motors that will need filtering or a bigger, secondary relay. Relay contacts rated 10A -no problem, if the rating is 0.5A you can forgetaboutit.
              Ya that was my big concern. If I have to wind down the speed I may as well just be the shut off mechanism, too, since I'd be guessing about the contact rating or spending way too much time trying to figure it out.

Comment

You could have the smaller relay 'control' a larger rating relay.
                Run the coil voltage for the large relay through the contacts of the small relay.
                The large relay contacts would then control the lathe.

Comment

It's been 8 days.

Is that sensor hooked up yet?
                  "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Originally posted by salvarsan View Post
                    It's been 8 days.

Is that sensor hooked up yet?
                    Hooked up and about a dozen pickups wound with it.

I started another thread that was a detailed description of it so others could follow.

Comment

Hi
                      I am Ronald from the Netherlands.
                      Wants to remove some dust here.

I know my englisch is poor sorry.

I have almost the same set-up( only 4 digit counter C2E ) and the same sensor.
                      Using gate 4 and 1 the sensor is blinking as it should.

But counter will not count.

Will someone know witch settings ( and wiring) i need.

I am a noob in electronic's ( and Englisch )

Greets ronald

Comment

Here is the post that jrdamien started to explain his connections

New Guy's (Me) Contribution to Forum - Wind Counter

I am new. I have used this forum for all its amazing information. I put together a new winder with a hobby lathe and wanted to assemble a simple but accurate counter. My post about trying to figure this out is likely right below or a few posts below this one. But here's what I have for the sake of documenting it, should anyone else need a good, cheap solution.

Here's the counter:

12V 24V 6 Preset Digital Counter 10KPCS Relay 10 Off | eBay

$25 to $35 on the bay (I got mine on sale for $25). Not the cheapest or as cheap as a used cub (depending on the cub), but it's a preset, has 6 digits, counts up and down, is pnp and npn switchable, and has several other useful options.

This must be powered with a 12v wall wart. Wire the neg. and pos. directly to terminals 9 and 10. All necessary resistance is onboard.

To test it I first used a reed switch - that is, a door alarm. I wired one lead to terminal 1 (In) and the other to terminal 5 (OV). I put a single, small neo mag on the back of the face plate. I used the coil estimator to calculate 12k dc of 43 awg on a Tele bobbin, which gave me about 11k to 12.5k turns (an estimation - I forget the exact numbers). I wound to 11053 using variable speeds from 750 rpm to about 3000 and got a final resistance of 11.93. This tells me it was counting accurately.

I don't think I need a different sensor but had already ordered a proximity switch which just arrived. This is the one:

LJ12A3 4 Z AY Inductive Proximity Sensor Detection Switch PNP DC6 36V | eBay

With some help in the other thread I wired it black to terminal 1, brown to 4 and blue to 5. Nothing else required. I put aluminum tape across half a cd and mounted it behind the spindle with the switch mounted facing it and very close. This switch has to be almost touching it to switch. Again, absolutely precise counting up to as fast as the lathe will turn.

I'll post pics later. I hope this is helpful to anyone needing to assemble an accurate counting mechanism.

Comment

Working...
                        X