Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randall RG100G3 with issues

Hello all!

I somehow got myself a Randall RG100G3 several years ago, and I haven't used it very much because it has some problems. I'll try to list them:

- It is humming/buzzing quite a lot. With anything volume related (channel volumes and master volume) turned down to 0, the noise is there, taunting me! When volume knobs are turned up, the noise gets worse. It does it if the guitar is not plugged in, although when the guitar IS plugged in, I think the amp itself generates electrical noise that my guitar picks up, and the hum is only more intense. All the noise takes out the fun of using the amp, and thus I haven't really used it in years.

- I also found that one time after moving the amp around (transport in car and such), something in the amp wasn't right. The output of the amp was extremely reduced, and if I have to describe it, maybe 5% or less of the volume I expected came out of the speakers. I tried to fix it by whacking the top of the amp, as I already back then suspected a loose component of some sort - but with no success. After moving the amp around a few times and after the final trip back to my house, the problem fixed itself and I haven't experienced the volume drop again since then. Though, the amp is in my bedroom gathering dust, and taking up space, so it doesn't really get any use.

- Another problem I see is that the reverb cannot be turned off. It is always engaged (the footswitch button does nothing to the amp), but can be somewhat bypassed by turning the knob down. It annoys me though, that I can't switch it off!

Any suggestion on what the issues could be? I'm of course more interested in the hum/buzz and the volume drop than the reverb problem.

Thanks in advance for any help, everything is appreciated

It's always nice to have a schematic to work from:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Randall RG100.PNG
Views:	3
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	827364

The Reverb could be as simple as a dirty footswitch connector, bad footswitch cable or switch. You can plug a regular guitar cable into the footswitch socket and short the tip to the body. If it works then it's the cable or switch.

The volume changes are probably mechanical in nature. I have been known open up an amp and tap at everything (amp on) with a plastic rod to see what makes noises.

Not sure what to tell you on the hum, it could be any number of things.
    Last edited by nickb; 11-08-2012, 11:18 PM. Reason: I hit 'Save' too soon!
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Working...
    X